What do you do when Honda won't fix something under warranty?

OP
OP
DX2000

DX2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I spoke to the lady at American Honda again and she still says there's nothing they can do. "If it's a design issue we can't do anything to fix it" and of course, told me it's because I'm playing my music at too high of a volume. So what next? This literally is a company not fixing something under warranty. Does this get taken up through legal action?

I suggest everyone file a complaint with Honda's BBB page:

http://www.bbb.org/losangelessilico...porated-in-torrance-ca-11279/file-a-complaint
Sponsored

Last edited:

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If it's bothering you that much I'd recommend you file a lemon law case and try to have Honda buy the car back. That or find a new dealer or autosound shop to install dynamat for you around the rear deck

Last edited:
OP
OP
DX2000

DX2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
If it's bothering you that much I'd recommend you file a lemon law case and try to have Honda buy the car back. That or find a new dealer or autosound shop to install dynamat for you around the rear deck
Well I wouldn't want to get rid of the car, that would be a whole big mess. I just want Honda to fix it. Honestly I think they could just stuff some foam around the brake light or something, I don't know why they didn't. But I want them to own up to it. It affects everyone so I want everyone to get theirs fixed.

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
Well I wouldn't want to get rid of the car, that would be a whole big mess. I just want Honda to fix it. Honestly I think they could just stuff some foam around the brake light or something, I don't know why they didn't. But I want them to own up to it. It affects everyone so I want everyone to get theirs fixed.
In case I or somebody else didn't ask before, is there another dealer that you could take it to for a repair attempt?

OP
OP
DX2000

DX2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
In case I or somebody else didn't ask before, is there another dealer that you could take it to for a repair attempt?

Yes. Here's the problem, Honda is the one advising what to do. I take it to another dealer and they talk to Honda and Honda says do this or do that and it doesn't get fixed.

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you don't get anywhere with Honda you could always take it to a professional car audio installer to get it fixed. It would suck because you'd have to pay for it, but I would have a lot more confidence in someone that specializes in subwoofer installation

madroxinide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
If you don't get anywhere with Honda you could always take it to a professional car audio installer to get it fixed. It would suck because you'd have to pay for it, but I would have a lot more confidence in someone that specializes in subwoofer installation
I'm in the process of documenting and working with corporate to fix my subwoofer rattle. Honda needs to offer to fix this issue and attempt to do so until the car's audio system matches what they sold me, because at the current state, this sound system is NOT premium. If Honda does not have the capabilities to fix this issue, then they need to foot the bill for getting this issue fixed by a professional, and then they need to never offer "premium" sound systems in cars ever again.

Jon Snow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic Blue Metallic
Country flag
I will when I get the chance. Five of my friends have the 2015-16 Accord Touring and they are experiencing the same thing.
You have five friends with the same new model car as you? Seriously? How is that possible? I've had mine for a couple months and have seen maybe a total of 5 others elsewhere on roads and parking lots, in a very populated area.

Jon Snow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have a Touring Coupe and have no rattles.
The coupe has an entirely different rear end so I think it's likely the rear deck area where the sub is mounted under is also different. It's also possible Honda noticed the flaw with the sedan after they started rolling off the line and told the coupe/hatch assembly engineers to look for the issue in those cars and build in a quick fix if found.

GoPackGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Energy Green Coupe
You're right Jon. I've not had the problem with my coupe either.

fazekas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Have the same rattle issue with my 2016 Touring Sedan, subwoofer adjustment is set at center setting, volume is between 15 and 18 depending on song and road noise, which is not that high. It only happens off and on at certain bass frequencies, but not always, so it's not constant. Called my dealership last week in San Diego, DCH Honda, they were not aware of the problem, but the rep took my number and stated he would look into it and get back to me, called Honda America, they were not aware of the problem, but documented it and gave me a file number.

Jon Snow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
, called Honda America, they were not aware of the problem.
Honda America not being aware of the problem has to be BS. Every single Touring has the same problem (at least for the first 6+ months of production), there is no way they're not aware of it. They're just not admitting it and are hoping it will blow over so they don't have to issue a fix. It's a fundamental design flaw with the subwoofer component and surrounding chassis that was probably never properly tested.

That's what happens sometimes when one trim accounts for less than 10% of your production, no one ever thought to test out he Touring's audio system with all different speakers in a production car (maybe they tested it in a pre-production model that had slightly different chassis/components, which didn't rattle).

Last edited:

trdb89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan, 2015 CR-V EX
I got my Touring Sedan about a month ago and I almost immediately noticed this subwoofer rattle. I was really excited about trying out the "premium" audio system so I tried it out at different volumes and bass levels. For me, the rattle was most apparent at anything above level 17 volume, but after you hear it once you can notice it as low as 10. I have been lurking on the site since a bit before I bought the car and I was dreading this rattling issue.

Anyways, I just got tint installed two days ago and somehow the rattle is completely gone. I can't hear a peep coming from the back deck. I never spoke with the tech who installed my tint but I assume all he did was remove the rear deck panel and reinstall it. Might be worth a try for anyone with the issue. I checked the door and my production date was 06/16 for anyone curious.
Sponsored