What do you call this, and would you fix it?

sensoredmedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport Touring
I picked up my Hatchback Sport Touring from a dealer out of town two weeks ago. They did a good job hunting down the exact color and trim I wanted, so I decided to buy the car from them, even though its a seven hour drive (the other excuse I could use was to visit my mother in law).

Anyway, I had put down a deposit in January, so I ended up waiting about two months while the car was imported, traded from another dealer, etc. During the shipment I instructed my sales rep to not put a dealer badge on the vehicle. They are usually terrible logos and ruin the look of the car. He said he would make a note. A month and a half later the car arrives at the dealership. The sales rep took the photos for me, straight off the truck, and no badge. I reminded him that I didn't want the dealer badge added to the car before pickup. He said that he would tell the service dept, but if it happened, it would be easy enough to remove. I told him "Well don't."

Two weeks later I'm picking up the car and you know what? The cheesiest WHITE vinyl piece of crap dealer badge is on the car. He told me to not worry about it, it would be easily removed while they clean the car for delivery. 3 hours later and I'm finally ready to leave the dealership, and he pulls me to rear of the car, and proceeds to explain that while removing the decal, they took paint off the plastic body trim in the process! If they had only left the damn thing alone. So he tells me he's going to send me on my way, but will be shipping the painted body panel to my home city, where I can take it to a body shop to get the new panel put on.

I have received the part. It looks like it gets attached by a series of plastic expanding screws (I don't know the technical name) and a couple of traditional bolts on each side (that attach on the underside of the hatch door, visible and in sight. My time is precious (I'm very important ;) so I'm wondering if this is something I can install myself. I tried to find parts listings or instructions online and I can't find anything.

The curious thing is that the plastic bolts look like, and I could be wrong here, that you stick into the holes on the metal panel, and then this body trim slides and locks into place over the these plastic screwed - the STRANGE part is, that the trim looks like it slides on one of two directions (see attached picture) so I have no idea how you can slide the trim in one direction, while simultaneously sliding it in the opposite direction... perhaps I'm overthinking it.

If i MUST take it to somebody, I'm wondering if a local Honda dealership can install this piece... I really think a body repair shop is overkill.

GOOD NEWS is that the trim came with badges removed, which is what I wanted to do anyway, so WIN. LESSON to dealers is when a customer asks for something, LEAVE IT ALONE.

1) Part number (says 74890-TGG-ZZ00 RR LICENSE GARN)
2) Plastic screws (looks like panel slides onto them from one direction or another)
3) Body trim
4) Bolt holes

Honda Civic 10th gen What do you call this, and would you fix it? IMG_0447.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen What do you call this, and would you fix it? IMG_9466.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen What do you call this, and would you fix it? IMG_2364.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen What do you call this, and would you fix it? IMG_8459.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
sensoredmedia

sensoredmedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If they screwed it up, make them pay to fix it. They shipped the part to you so YOU can get it fixed? Yeah, it doesn't work that way. If it was mine, you can bet your ass they would be fixing it. Your car and money though.
Out of town dealer sold me the car. They shipped me the part and they are paying to fix it, but I need to take it somewhere. Was wondering if it's an easy job since the bolt screws are exposed on the edges - just not sure what to do with the plastic screws in the middle of it.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks to me like the "plastic screws" just push in (no turning/twisting) and then you secure it with the traditional bolts on each side. No big deal.

OP
OP
sensoredmedia

sensoredmedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks to me like the "plastic screws" just push in (no turning/twisting) and then you secure it with the traditional bolts on each side. No big deal.
That is likely. Just curious why the slide into the body trim in fashion they do (used to brackets with holes they attach through, but this may just be a honda fitting). If it's that easy I'm tempted to do it myself, but unsure about how i go about getting the other one off. After removing the bolts do i just yank it to pop the plastic screws out?

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They slide in and out because they are replaceable in the event one was damaged when removing this piece of trim. You may find the ones on the piece you are replacing are not suitable to be used again (after you've removed it).

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Those are push pins. Literally just push and pull to install and uninstall. Take the screws out, pull off the old piece, transfer push pins to the new piece if needed, push the new piece on, reinstall the screws. It should be that simple judging by your pictures.

OP
OP
sensoredmedia

sensoredmedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They slide in and out because they are replaceable in the event one was damaged when removing this piece of trim. You may find the ones on the piece you are replacing are not suitable to be used again (after you've removed it).
Thanks for making it sound much easier than what i was expecting.

OP
OP
sensoredmedia

sensoredmedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those are push pins. Literally just push and pull to install and uninstall. Take the screws out, pull off the old piece, transfer push pins to the new piece if needed, push the new piece on, reinstall the screws. It should be that simple judging by your pictures.
Ok, glad it's just that straightforward. Thank you.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Ok, glad it's just that straightforward. Thank you.
Ya taking them off... They come off with the bumper/part... Then to install.. You put the pins/screws on the bumper/part by themselves and then attach the bumper/part to the pins/vehicle... Its been this way since the 8th civic or so.. For a majority of parts on the vehicle/'s

OP
OP
sensoredmedia

sensoredmedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ya taking them off... They come off with the bumper/part... Then to install.. You put the pins/screws on the bumper/part by themselves and then attach the bumper/part to the pins/vehicle... Its been this way since the 8th civic or so.. For a majority of parts on the vehicle/'s
Ok this is the gist of what i was getting at. I don't think I will have any problem pulling the trim off. I had planned to gently pry off each pin connection point.

For putting the new trim piece on, I was beginning to think that it would be as easy as pushing the pins, still in the trim piece, against the car, and they would lock/engage.

What you're describing is what I originally suspected... that the pins go on first and the trim slides onto those pins. This leads me back to the original question, that the trim slides onto the pins from multiple directions. Some left, some right, and some top/down. I can see no way to work the trim piece onto the pins from multiple directions at once, so was looking for some tips or instructions online. If this works like previous years, I could look for instructions online, but not even sure what this piece is called.

Appreciate any help.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Ok this is the gist of what i was getting at. I don't think I will have any problem pulling the trim off. I had planned to gently pry off each pin connection point.

For putting the new trim piece on, I was beginning to think that it would be as easy as pushing the pins, still in the trim piece, against the car, and they would lock/engage.

What you're describing is what I originally suspected... that the pins go on first and the trim slides onto those pins. This leads me back to the original question, that the trim slides onto the pins from multiple directions. Some left, some right, and some top/down. I can see no way to work the trim piece onto the pins from multiple directions at once, so was looking for some tips or instructions online. If this works like previous years, I could look for instructions online, but not even sure what this piece is called.

Appreciate any help.
Start with the center most pin/'s.. Work your way to the outsides

Dretlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP, 2023 Tesla Model Y Perf
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Appreciate any help.
Not sure if this has been resolved. If you have a Honda dealer nearby, you could just take the car there and let the other dealer pay for the work. I realize you're important and all but this seems to be causing you more grief which apparently is wasting even more time.

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Appreciate any help.

Sgtstaadanko & 360glitch already gave the best instruction. just line up the garnish with the clips to the holes on the trunk. push on it till it clicks then install bolts after.

OP
OP
sensoredmedia

sensoredmedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure if this has been resolved. If you have a Honda dealer nearby, you could just take the car there and let the other dealer pay for the work. I realize you're important and all but this seems to be causing you more grief which apparently is wasting even more time.
Sorry to waste your time, you could have opted to not reply at all. I prefer to work on the car myself, and discover new ways of doing things, so was looking forward to doing it, just didn't want to botch anything, but again, thanks.