What do the turbo infopanel symbols mean?

Danj210

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello all. I uploaded a screenshot because I haven’t found anything about what the turbo meter in the infopanel means. Obviously the plus means more and the minus means less, but more or less what? Air? Torque? And there’s a symbol in the middle so does that mean where the turbo is most efficient? Most powerful? I haven’t seen anything in the manual explaining what these symbols mean exactly and yes I’m one of those guys that will read the entire manual lol.

Any input is much appreciated. Thanks.

Honda Civic 10th gen What do the turbo infopanel symbols mean? 07D00321-4E75-4923-BA8B-4CB2C54D3298
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, the turbo meter on the non-Si is sort of a gimmick. It just shows you when you are in boost but isn't very precise. Fun to watch though. ;)

OP
OP

Danj210

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honestly, the turbo meter on the non-Si is sort of a gimmick. It just shows you when you are in boost but isn't very precise. Fun to watch though. ;)
Like what do you mean, “in boost?” Is there different stages? So that meter is showing 11 bars so 11 stages of boost with top being the most? And does the middle matter? There’s a tick right there in the middle so is that most efficient air/fuel/power?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The middle is just the middle. A turbo works by boost (in PSI). Those bars are just a rough estimate of how much turbo boost you're using. Actually, if you want to most fuel efficiency, try not to light up any of those bars. ;)

OP
OP

Danj210

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The middle is just the middle. A turbo works by boost (in PSI). Those bars are just a rough estimate of how much turbo boost you're using. Actually, if you want to most fuel efficiency, try not to light up any of those bars. ;)
Ok thanks. Actually I don’t care about fuel efficiency or if the meter is real accurate I just wanted to know what it was measuring.

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello all. I uploaded a screenshot because I haven’t found anything about what the turbo meter in the infopanel means. Obviously the plus means more and the minus means less, but more or less what? Air? Torque? And there’s a symbol in the middle so does that mean where the turbo is most efficient? Most powerful? I haven’t seen anything in the manual explaining what these symbols mean exactly and yes I’m one of those guys that will read the entire manual lol.

Any input is much appreciated. Thanks.

07D00321-4E75-4923-BA8B-4CB2C54D3298.jpeg
Did not read the replies, but essentially it's measuring air PSi that is being generated by the turbo. We refer to positive pressure as "boost"
When the vehicle is not generating boost (usually when light throttle) this is vacuum. Naturally aspirated cars (non-turbo) are always in vacuum. Anything non-si / non-R has a generic boost gauge with no actual boost reading, (no numbers on it, just - and +.) When the meter is reading directly in the middle, it is halfway from its highest boost pressure, meaning the turbo is not completely spooling to its boost target (Boost target is the final number of PSi the computer will allow the turbo to produce before the wastegate opens up and releases any extra air to avoid overboosting.) The higher the boost gauge, generally the more compressed air is going into your engine, meaning more power!

OP
OP

Danj210

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did not read the replies, but essentially it's measuring air PSi that is being generated by the turbo. We refer to positive pressure as "boost"
When the vehicle is not generating boost (usually when light throttle) this is vacuum. Naturally aspirated cars (non-turbo) are always in vacuum. Anything non-si / non-R has a generic boost gauge with no actual boost reading, (no numbers on it, just - and +.) When the meter is reading directly in the middle, it is halfway from its highest boost pressure, meaning the turbo is not completely spooling to its boost target (Boost target is the final number of PSi the computer will allow the turbo to produce before the wastegate opens up and releases any extra air to avoid overboosting.) The higher the boost gauge, generally the more compressed air is going into your engine, meaning more power!
Perfect explanation thank you so much!

DarkKitarist

Hyped for Cyberpunk 2077
First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kaihatsu-sha.eu
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sport Plus 2020 (Her name is V)
Country flag
When it reach the top, it will turn red. Shift to R immediately for time travel.
You gotta hit 88 mph first ;)

PS. If you have an automatic and somehow manage to get the shifter into Reverse nothing happens and the car drives normally. Don't know what happens with a manual tho...

Maleton3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (Tonic Yellow Pearl)
Country flag
You gotta hit 88 mph first ;)

PS. If you have an automatic and somehow manage to get the shifter into Reverse nothing happens and the car drives normally. Don't know what happens with a manual tho...
I'd imagine a 5th to Reverse Manual Shift is likely not something any of us want to experiment with :p Gonna Money shift right into the semi behind me!

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd imagine a 5th to Reverse Manual Shift is likely not something any of us want to experiment with :p Gonna Money shift right into the semi behind me!
The car locks itself out of reverse's shift gate when the car is in motion. Don't think 1st has the same protection. Old S2000s used to lock you out of 1st gear after 15mph as a fail safe.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I only wish Honda would've made the boost gauge more precise i.e. actual psi numbers instead of a mere reference bar but that's just the car nerd in me. I assume the Si and Type R gauges have exact psi levels, right?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I only wish Honda would've made the boost gauge more precise i.e. actual psi numbers instead of a mere reference bar but that's just the car nerd in me. I assume the Si and Type R gauges have exact psi levels, right?
They do. To me, our gauge is more of an infotainment toy. :popcorn:

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Seems kinda odd that the actual PSI numbers aren't on all trims, what was Honda's logic on that?
Probably Honda didn't want to confuse non-car people. Imagine all the people going in to their dealership to fix the "negative engine power" problem.
Sponsored