What do CVT paddle shifters actually do?

MMM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fit
From what I read CVT is like one long gear, so what are the paddle shifters that come with it for?

Didn't get it on my Fit but I'm open to considering an auto when I order my Civic.
Sponsored

OP
OP

MMM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fit
The CVT has programmed 'gears' that the paddles will change to.
'gears' as in artificial gear change pause/jerk feeling just to get the feeling of a gear change?

Viva la vida

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T
Now how is this different than a sound symposer/fake engine noise... or is it? asking for opinions on whether this type of artificially programmed effect would bother anyone since a lot of people seem bothered by having recorded engine noise coming through the speakers.

OP
OP

MMM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fit
Yes, it does also lower the RPM as a gear change would.
I see. Is there actually any performance benefit from downshifting with the paddles, like better acceleration?

s2ker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000
Now how is this different than a sound symposer/fake engine noise... or is it? asking for opinions on whether this type of artificially programmed effect would bother anyone since a lot of people seem bothered by having recorded engine noise coming through the speakers.
I think most people's problem with sound enhancement is when it's done digitally through the car's speakers. I don't see as much backlash when it's just physical sound tubes that do the job.

From what @randY49 is saying the CVT paddles isn't just faking the feel of a gear change it's actually dropping you to a lower RPM to give you more into the meat of the power band. So it's actually doing something and not just electronic fakery. All auto (standard, CVT, DCT) transmissions have some kind of programming btw, so if you don't like the idea of a 'programmed' transmission the solution is easy = just get a manual :drive:

civvie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
All this talk about paddle shifters on CVT is moot right? We haven't seen paddles on the CVT model.

PirelliPZero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EJ6, CBR
From what I read CVT is like one long gear, so what are the paddle shifters that come with it for?
Per Honda (in regards to the Fit)

The CVT transmission can be controlled with steering wheel-mounted, dual-mode paddle shifters to provide a more engaging driver experience. D mode is fully automatic; however the paddle shifters can be used to downshift the transmission for greater engine braking for situations such as descending a steep hill. The transmission can also be upshifted in D mode. When the paddle shifters are used in D mode, full automatic operation will resume after a short time. For spirited driving, S mode includes seven ratios and maintains the selected ratio until the driver operates the paddle shifters again.​

The key phrase being "to provide a more engaging driver experience." This is to say that paddles allow the driver to be an active participant [engage] in the control of the transmission. However, that is not to say that the control is of any performance value. (Except in the use of engine braking.) The value comes from participation [the experience].

See this video (from 5:29 on) where a race driver compares driving full automatic versus using paddles:

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
Per Honda (in regards to the Fit)

The CVT transmission can be controlled with steering wheel-mounted, dual-mode paddle shifters to provide a more engaging driver experience. D mode is fully automatic; however the paddle shifters can be used to downshift the transmission for greater engine braking for situations such as descending a steep hill. The transmission can also be upshifted in D mode. When the paddle shifters are used in D mode, full automatic operation will resume after a short time. For spirited driving, S mode includes seven ratios and maintains the selected ratio until the driver operates the paddle shifters again.​
Well guess that settles the debate whether engine braking is bad or not :)

10thG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Well then since the paddles don't do anything but give you the 'experience' of a gain change I'm glad they left them off. I'd rather have the S mode button which actually does increase acceleration than paddles that don't.
Sponsored