What did you wish you knew about your car before buying?

nothome17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 is 350 F
Country flag
If it helps you I have a Dodge Caliber SRT with the factory turbo. 175,000 miles and the engine has never been apart. Mobil 1 oil every 5000 miles and no issues. I’m am not easy on it either.
Good to know, thanks+. Can you say the CTR has the linear feel like an NA motor or will it kick your butt when it starts to kick in?
Sponsored

Last edited:

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
IMO, the hatch is more like a trunk than a door, so to me, the expectation would be that the hatch would pop open than just unlocking like a door.
I agree with you on the trunk over a door part but I believe they all call it a 5 door hatchback and not a 4 door hatchback which makes me believe they consider it a vertical opening door.

I also don't know of any hatchbacks that pop open from the factory.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
Good thread for those who are thinking of buying a CTR. I'm in the market for either a CTR or 9th Gen si. The issue that's bothering me is the turbo, another issue to worry about. Hard to tell if you have a turbo leak.

Regarding the trunk release. Maybe can get an aftermarket alarm with auto trunk release.
Why would you be worried about turbo leak?

nothome17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 is 350 F
Country flag
Why would you be worried about turbo leak?
Finding boost leak is a hassle no matter how big or small the leak is. Sometimes you can't tell until the PSI is under 10 when driving hard.

Boost Leaks Will Cause a Rich Condition, The Car can Also Experience Stalling, Rough and High Idle, Loss of Power, Bad Fuel Mileage, and Loss of Turbo Spool up.

Last edited:

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
Finding boost leak is a hassle no matter how big or small the leak is. Sometimes you can't tell until the PSI is under 10 when driving hard.

Boost Leaks Will Cause a Rich Condition, The Car can Also Experience Stalling, Rough and High Idle, Loss of Power, Bad Fuel Mileage, and Loss of Turbo Spool up.
I'm asking why would you be worried about a boost leak happening in this car. This isn't a common thing in any modern-day factory turbocharged car, much less Hondas.

TypeRinATL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
I'm asking why would you be worried about a boost leak happening in this car. This isn't a common thing in any modern-day factory turbocharged car, much less Hondas.
Not to mention they aren’t that hard to diagnose either. A simple leak down test followed with smoke finds the leak pretty easily.

First verify there is a leak, then find the leak. Not some huge issue that only black magic can solve.

nothome17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 is 350 F
Country flag
True, issues are fixable and can be diagnosed certain ways.

Don't want to derail the post. Please continue appraising us of things to know with the CTR.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Good to know, thanks+. Can you say the CTR has the linear feel like an NA motor or will it kick your butt when it starts to kick in?
If you're getting into it in the lower RPMs it feels linear like an NA car. If you're sitting at 3,000+ and punch it, you'll feel a bit of lag and then the ass will squat and go.

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
nothing? I wanted the min i saw it. Love at first sight. Everything else didn't really matter. It wasn't like I wasn't going to buy it if I knew something that I didn't like about it. The only thing that really held me up was the price and justify adm.

NorcalCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R #3855, 2007 Honda Civic Si, 2001 Honda Civic EX (Sold)
Country flag
The negative would be the small gas tank and low cruise range. It makes it a pain to go to the gas station more often.

The positive was how comfortable the seats were. I know a lot of people said how great the seat were, but I don't think you really know till you sit in them.

warrendeath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type-R 'Hellbat'
The negative would be the small gas tank and low cruise range. It makes it a pain to go to the gas station more often.

The positive was how comfortable the seats were. I know a lot of people said how great the seat were, but I don't think you really know till you sit in them.
My only true issue with the car. It was worse when I drove farther away for work.

I'm also a bit weary of the wear and tear with the seats.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag

Well, there's no lumbar support, adjustable or otherwise, which becomes an issue on longer drives. I carry a small pillow to support my lower back if I know I'm going to be driving 45 minutes or more.

OP
OP
lawl

lawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ABM type r
Country flag
-The keyfob is slippery as hell. It has fallen out of my pocket like 3-4 times now. I had to buy the keyfob condoms from amazon. Much better.
-The wheel bolt pattern and lugnuts are not standard Japanese tuner car sizes so if you have old s2k wheels, they're no good.

Lcifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Why did you not drive it before you bought it? If I was going to buy a CTR and the dealer told me I couldn't drive it until I signed papers... I'd walk right out that door.
Then you won't be owning one anytime soon

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
The problem is I hate dealerships. They are always looking to make a buck. 30 bucks is their "going rate" to "fix a flat" With "friends" like this, who needs enemies. Even Firestone charges way less. The CTR is a 40 thousand dollar civic. Can you believe they are charging ADM (5k is average, you got 10-15k over MSRP!) and the best you can do is MSRP. I want a discount or better price than that. A 40k Civic. You don't get the nameplate of german cars so it can't be repped.
Can any of the German makes offer the same performance as the CTR at a similar $35k price point? Nope, not even VW/Audi. If you care that much about nameplate value over engineering value then go buy a slightly used luxury brand/vehicle.
Sponsored