What did you wish you knew about your car before buying?

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why would that be?
I certainly drove mine before I signed anything.
Too many people fall for the "dealership flexing" thinking they have to play by their rules. Dealerships are there to serve the customer, not the other way around.

Heck, my dealership let me take my Civic home for the night without committing to anything. They were going to close in about 30mins so he said just bring it back tomorrow and let me know how you like it. Smart move on their part, I bought it the next day. The odometer had 1 mile on it when I took it home.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Too many people fall for the "dealership flexing" thinking they have to play by their rules. Dealerships are there to serve the customer, not the other way around.

Heck, my dealership let me take my Civic home for the night without committing to anything. They were going to close in about 30mins so he said just bring it back tomorrow and let me know how you like it. Smart move on their part, I bought it the next day. The odometer had 1 mile on it when I took it home.
Do you honestly think they are going to let people take home a CTR to "try it out" before they buy?

To dealers, the CTR is a car they get once a month if they're lucky (unless they are a super high volume dealer), it attracts a lot of attention to their store, and the owners that are buying the first ones are super picky about what they're willing to accept.

Basically, if you want to test drive one, look for a used one, there are quite a few out there already.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you honestly think they are going to let people take home a CTR to "try it out" before they buy?

To dealers, the CTR is a car they get once a month if they're lucky (unless they are a super high volume dealer), it attracts a lot of attention to their store, and the owners that are buying the first ones are super picky about what they're willing to accept.

Basically, if you want to test drive one, look for a used one, there are quite a few out there already.
I can't believe I have to explain the point of that story... Bottom line: good dealership vs shit dealership that won't let you test drive the car your going to buy.

You guys seem to be confusing joy rides with test drives. I keep specifying "serious potential buyers". I'm sick of talking about this so I'm turning notifications on this thread off.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
You can probably test drive one now but in july/august when it was first launched there wasn't many dealers willing to let you test drive it because people were buying them without a test drive, and a few potential owners complained about the amount of miles the car had.

Arch

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Albeit used, not new, I didnt test drive mine, didnt even see it in the metal until the day i collected it, from BMW ? I think i'll buy everything blind from now on, much more fun.

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
I can't fathom test driving something like this before buying it... If you do enough research you know what you are getting into. If you REALLY need to get in one ask a local Type R owner for a ride. The last four vehicles I bought I knew exactly how this vehicle would feel based on research and previous knowledge. These are mildly rare and require some effort to get your hands on one at MSRP.