What Did You Really Pay ???

diplexer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Town&Country; Civic EX
I am amassed at how many vehicle buyers on this site are totally clueless on how much they are really paying on their new car purchase. This is due to the many BS charges that devious dealers include in their contract as a smoke screen.

Almost all States mandate that sales tax must be collected on the total purchase price of the vehicle. That Tax must include the cost of the vehicle and all the Dealer applied BS charges and fees. The only items exempt from the sales tax are government fees ( i.e. TTL )

Thus the real cost of your purchase can be easily calculated by finding out your sales tax and dividing that amount by your State's Tax rate.

Case at point: The Florida vehicle use tax is 6% statewide. So the dealer tells me my Tax for the vehicle sale will be $1,273.33 . Thus, 1,273.33 / .06 = 21222.17

So no matter what bull the dealer tells you the real purchase cost of this vehicle is $21,222.17 No; If''s; and's or but's

So folks if your really what to help the rest of us figure out comparable sales, as a minimum, please list the following in your post: Trim Model ; your Sales Tax on the purchase; and your State's Tax rate. Or do the above calculation for us.
Sponsored

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am also "amassed" that people can't do the calculations for their own purchase price with add-ons, their own state tax, etc.

Due diligence for a large purchase. Like, really.

msalama91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 WOP Touring
When I divide 27335 by .06 I get nearly a half a million... Is that really how much my car cost me?!?!
You're dividing your purchase price by 0.06. You should be diving your tax amount by your tax rate.
eg. In the example of the OP, 1,273.33 Tax Paid) / .06 (Tax rate) = 21222.17 (Purchase price)

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
When I divide 27335 by .06 I get nearly a half a million... Is that really how much my car cost me?!?!
Yes, if you agreed to pay 27335 in sales tax at 6%. Why did you do that?

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Mind-boggling indeed, but I agree with the OP in terms that numbers thrown around are meaningless, and at times, misleading. "OTD" is misused by many people as well.

User abcde comes in, says "I got a Touring OTD for $27000!!!"...not mentioning he either traded in a $3000 vehicle in, or that he lives somewhere with 5% tax, or that dealer tacked on other fees after, etc.

Then user lmnop sees this, goes to his dealer, and says I want a Touring for $27000!!!...even though he lives in a state with 14% tax, without a trade, etc. Dealer laughs at him, then he posts negative reviews about how they refused to work with him.

So many variables... Including IQ apparently :love:

slen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring sedan
Country flag
Seriously this time, I Honestly don't really understand what the big deal is. Especially when you are looking on the thread with purchase prices most people list out every tax and fee.

If you walk into a dealer in your state and don't have any idea what the taxes and the fees are going to be you will be in for a treat.

OP
OP

diplexer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Town&Country; Civic EX
My out the door for a Touring was $26,750 with no trade in and no down payment with a 6% tax (Florida).
image.jpeg
After you eliminate all the Dealer smoke screens you purchased that vehicle for $ 25,141.50 ----- $1508.49(Sales Tax) / .06 (Tax rate) = $25,141.50

That Doc Fee BS started a few years ago as a $50 charge for processing the Tax & DMV fee paperwork. And has now turned into a cash cow for dealers. I also noticed that they have now started a new fee (Non Tax Fees) for processing the same paperwork that the original Doc Fee was created for. Don't you just love car dealers?

jhaze84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
The "true cost" of my Touring was $25,404. That is $25,015 base price plus $389 doc fee. I can't use the sales tax to figure it out because the doc fee is untaxed, and my trade lowered my sales tax.

Honda Civic 10th gen What Did You Really Pay ??? civic_invoice

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
Considering the selling price already included the destination charge and most of the dealers in my area had the same amount for the doc fee, maybe a Florida thing, I didn't complain much.
Here in NJ it's about 300.00. Your deal was really good. I picking up a touring model this Friday. I paid 24800.00 with dest. I really can't wait..

Lexielily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda civic EX
I was intended to buy a EX. My Out door price is around 22k. The money for the car is around 20k. Is that a good price? I will pay with cash.
Sponsored