First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dude, you entirely missed my point. Yeah, it might be required on the sales label they put on the cars, but dealers write stuff off all the time to make a sale. That's the stuff they put on the "we owe" slip when you get a car. Your also required to pay sales tax on new car, but the dealer paid that on mine too. That was what I was trying to say. You are not required to pay it if the dealer is paying it themselves as part of the agreement.
I think the better argument you should actually be making is that people should request to get a lower price when purchasing a car since there are tons of other fees (both required and not required) that may be added. You state it as if people don't need to pay this fee at all which is actually misleading and false.
Sponsored

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wasn't trying to be misleading. I guess I have just got so use to my dealer "waving" these fees, that it just shocked me that other places don't do the same. My bad.

justreading1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe EX-L
This is very interesting. When the dealer provided the quote to me the tax rate they use was the sale price of the vehicle multiply by 6% (MD). But when I actually signed the papers, I noticed that the tax $ is very different from the value they quoted me.

Last edited:

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is very interesting. When the dealer provided the quote to me the tax rate they use was the sale price of the vehicle multiply by 6% (MD). But when I actually signed the papers, I noticed that the tax $ is very different from the value they quoted me.

Its different because there are some other fees that will be added before tax is figured in.

Ex. Dealer Fee/Freight/Destination Fee.

Linda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cosmic "Blue" 2016 Honda Civic EX-L
I am amassed at how many vehicle buyers on this site are totally clueless on how much they are really paying on their new car purchase. This is due to the many BS charges that devious dealers include in their contract as a smoke screen.

Almost all States mandate that sales tax must be collected on the total purchase price of the vehicle. That Tax must include the cost of the vehicle and all the Dealer applied BS charges and fees. The only items exempt from the sales tax are government fees ( i.e. TTL )

Thus the real cost of your purchase can be easily calculated by finding out your sales tax and dividing that amount by your State's Tax rate.

Case at point: The Florida vehicle use tax is 6% statewide. So the dealer tells me my Tax for the vehicle sale will be $1,273.33 . Thus, 1,273.33 / .06 = 21222.17

So no matter what bull the dealer tells you the real purchase cost of this vehicle is $21,222.17 No; If''s; and's or but's

So folks if your really what to help the rest of us figure out comparable sales, as a minimum, please list the following in your post: Trim Model ; your Sales Tax on the purchase; and your State's Tax rate. Or do the above calculation for us.
The dealership almost charged me twice as much for tax as should be but I caught it and they changed the amount. They also were not going to give me as much for my trade in as initially promised but I got them to change that too. They are now asking about twice as much for my trade-in as they granted me!

tommythai94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Hi y'all. I recently bought a 2016 Civic LX in the LA County Area (9% tax). I managed to negotiate the lowest pricing down to $19,199 OTD. However, I ended up going with the place that offered $19,300 otd with lifetime free Powertrain Warranty.
Sponsored