What Did You Really Pay ???

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra
I was intended to buy a EX. My Out door price is around 22k. The money for the car is around 20k. Is that a good price? I will pay with cash.
Not a good deal. See the 'what did you pay' thread. Without sensing, people have been getting an EX for around 20k OTD, under 19k before fees.
Sponsored

Lexielily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda civic EX
Not a good deal. See the 'what did you pay' thread. Without sensing, people have been getting an EX for around 20k OTD, under 19k before fees.
Yes, that is my low ball price in my mind. I just have a question. Because car price is different from state to state, I am worried that I cannot get such a deal like others.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Cheapest Quote I received from a nearby Honda Dealer in MD. Zip Code: 20878

2016 HONDA Civic EX Internet Price: $17322
Please add:

$300 Processing Fee (Virginia Dealers charge as much as $599)$835 Destination charge for cars and $900 for Vans & Truck

Sales Tax (Maryland is 6%, D.C. is 6% or 7%, and Virginia is 4.1%)

Tags, Title and Registration.

This Out the Door Quote is: $19,859

Think this is the cheapest so far I have ever seen on the forums. Is this too good to be true? I'm thinking about sending this around through all the dealers and see if anyone is willing to cut a few hundred off this and then pull the trigger.

kiddmit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Civic LX, 2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I am amassed at how many vehicle buyers on this site are totally clueless on how much they are really paying on their new car purchase. This is due to the many BS charges that devious dealers include in their contract as a smoke screen.

Almost all States mandate that sales tax must be collected on the total purchase price of the vehicle. That Tax must include the cost of the vehicle and all the Dealer applied BS charges and fees. The only items exempt from the sales tax are government fees ( i.e. TTL )

Thus the real cost of your purchase can be easily calculated by finding out your sales tax and dividing that amount by your State's Tax rate.

Case at point: The Florida vehicle use tax is 6% statewide. So the dealer tells me my Tax for the vehicle sale will be $1,273.33 . Thus, 1,273.33 / .06 = 21222.17

So no matter what bull the dealer tells you the real purchase cost of this vehicle is $21,222.17 No; If''s; and's or but's

So folks if your really what to help the rest of us figure out comparable sales, as a minimum, please list the following in your post: Trim Model ; your Sales Tax on the purchase; and your State's Tax rate. Or do the above calculation for us.
I don't see the point of this new thread. Prices in the main "what did you pay?" thread include the price before taxes and fees. In fact, they have the cost of the car itself on paper itemized.

So it seems like what you are suggesting is to put out the cost of the car plus taxable fees, without separating them. Why do that when fees may vary state to state? Why don't just list the cost of the car, any fees, and tax separately?

rockdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic sedan
My 2016 Honda Civic LX
window sticker: MSRP $19,440 + destination and handling $835 = $20,275
actual sales price: $18,167 + acquisition fee $$595 = $18,762
This sales price includes $500 I offered for the plain white paint color. There were three special offers of 2016 Civic LXs at this dealership at loss leader prices but I seriously wanted the white color so I paid extra for it. My experience is, white paint jobs last longer than any other color, especially those colors that have metallic components. Since the three cars available at this dealership were darker, metallic paints, I was willing to pay extra for white.

rockdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic sedan
Adding more info for this transaction.
This was a lease, so I wasn't charged sales tax, which is paid monthly with the lease payment. If I would have bought (instead of leased) one of the three colors offered at the special price, I would have paid $500 less, which would have been $18,262 + 8% California sales tax of $1460.96 = $19,722.96.
The monthly lease rate is $118.99 + $9.52 sales tax = $128.51
My 39 monthly payments total $5011.89 and adding my down payment of $2745 = $7756.89. Divided by 39 months, this works out to an actual $198.89 per month for the 39 months. Less than $200 per month, actual.

Last edited:

mississippi16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
How much is 2016 Honda Civic LX OTD price in Tampa, FL? I was given a quote of $19,867.

They gave me a discount of $2366 but there's a dealer fee of $700 which accdg to edmunds.com is 'normal' in FL.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How much is 2016 Honda Civic LX OTD price in Tampa, FL? I was given a quote of $19,867.

They gave me a discount of $2366 but there's a dealer fee of $700 which accdg to edmunds.com is 'normal' in FL.
That price is crazy high. If you look at my price quote I posted pictures of my purchase agreement and I paid about 800 more for the EX trim. You should be able to cut off at least 500 from that.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
2016 Touring sedan: state sales tax was $995.36, VA rate is 4.1%, so true price was $24,277.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't believe there are still alot of dealers charging a document or destination fee. Hell, I don't think any of our dealers around here do that anymore.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can't believe there are still alot of dealers charging a document or destination fee. Hell, I don't think any of our dealers around here do that anymore.
Destination fee is required. Now if they charge delivery + destination thats a scam but you got to pay that 600~900 fee for the car to be shipped from plant to the dealership.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's not required if the dealer doesn't want to charge it. Our dealers, from what I've seen, write off several things to make a sale. I'm sure not all of them do it, but i know our local Chevy and Honda dealers do this. My mother has a Camaro, that's how I know about the Chevy dealer doing it. Ford still wants to charge an arm & leg for their junk. Our Hyundai, Toyota, and Nissan dealers are making good deals. Our local Dodge dealer is almost giving away cars. Buts that's probably because no one wants a Chrysler product anymore. :)

Last edited:

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's not required if the dealer doesn't want to charge it. Our dealers, from what I've seen, write off several things to make a sale. I'm sure not all of them do it, but i know our local Chevy and Honda dealers do this. My mother has a Camaro, that's how I know about the Chevy dealer doing it. Ford still wants to charge an arm & leg for their junk. Our Hyundai, Toyota, and Nissan dealers are making good deals. Our local Dodge dealer is almost giving away cars. Buts that's probably because no one wants a Chrysler product anymore. :)

To quote KBB.

It's Government Mandated
The destination fee should be regarded as yet another cost of doing new car business. There are several other fees that manufacturers must bake into the price of their new cars and trucks, but the U.S. government has required this fee be itemized on the sticker based on the fact that it is a direct cost, above and beyond the "overhead" companies must incur in bringing a product to market. Tax, license and a detailed list of all the standard and manufacturer-installed options and their retail prices must also be clearly listed on the "Monroney label" of each new car.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dude, you entirely missed my point. Yeah, it might be required on the sales label they put on the cars, but dealers write stuff off all the time to make a sale. That's the stuff they put on the "we owe" slip when you get a car. Your also required to pay sales tax on new car, but the dealer paid that on mine too. That was what I was trying to say. You are not required to pay it if the dealer is paying it themselves as part of the agreement.
Sponsored