What did you pay?

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag
With both the '17 sedans and coupes now at dealers, I'm curious if '17 discounts off MSRP are staying the same as recent '16 sales or less, considering the cars are basically the same inside and out. OMG, bought my new car 2 weeks ago and now it's last-year's model!
Sponsored

elbowglue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru (puke)
Got Silver Touring 2016 from Livermore Honda for $23,900. (Before Tax, license, doc fee of $80). Out the door was approx 26,340. Got the deal from the internet sales manager. Pretty much made contact, talked with him about the car, availability and price, told him I was ready to buy, had a quote from Roseville Honda for the same $23,900 and I wanted to buy from him because it was closer. He said he couldnt do the price but called back later and finally accepted it.

No trade in, they couldn't offer enough for my old car. I eventually did finance through Honda but this was not a requirement for purchase at this price.

Only negatives was the whole process was SLOW (took almost 3 hours to complete the whole process), and they for some reason tacked on an extra 9 dollars onto the price making the final price 23,909.

Overall I'm very happy with the car!

mnwade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic MSM EL, 2017 Subaru Outback
Got Silver Touring 2016 from Livermore Honda for $23,900. (Before Tax, license, doc fee of $80). Out the door was approx 26,340. Got the deal from the internet sales manager. Pretty much made contact, talked with him about the car, availability and price, told him I was ready to buy, had a quote from Roseville Honda for the same $23,900 and I wanted to buy from him because it was closer. He said he couldnt do the price but called back later and finally accepted it.

No trade in, they couldn't offer enough for my old car. I eventually did finance through Honda but this was not a requirement for purchase at this price.

Only negatives was the whole process was SLOW (took almost 3 hours to complete the whole process), and they for some reason tacked on an extra 9 dollars onto the price making the final price 23,909.

Overall I'm very happy with the car!
Nice job!

gmaxis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Corolla, 2006 Xterra
2016 4door 2.0L EX $21,040 (before taxes, doc fees, extras) and $22,026 amount financed. got the tiered security/alarm system as well factored in.

Last edited:

PenguinMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan, CosBlu
I've emailed all the dealerships in MN so far for a 2016 Civic Touring Sedan and have bottomed out at a price of $24,899 pre-tax/fees, which translates into $27,014 OTD. I've tried quoting some of the figures here and showing some of the receipts, but everyone's excuse is that different states have different incentives, etc. This feels so disheartening looking at the prices that other people are getting. Would you guys cave and take that price?

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was able to get down to a starting price of $24,689 (NC), using only NC quotes. I think you should be happy if you're toward the bottom of your local TrueCar bar graph (I was quite satisfied judging by that). You're not going to fly or rent a car to another city and drive back with your Touring for a few hundred less. To milk another $100+ before signing, when reviewing your accessories, try what I did: ask your salesperson if a perfect score on your satisfaction survey is very important to them (it is)...then mention the nice the trunk tray (or something else)...then smile. Got my trunk tray free.

Dealers get money back from Honda based on number of cars sold each month, and perhaps those deals do vary state to state and dealer to dealer (that's why invoice prices don't mean what they once did). Also supply might affect prices. BTW, if everyone got $23,900 that would be the average price and not a super low price. In other words, we can't all get it. I think it's reasonable for your local dealer to match the lowest competitor in nearby cities. I wanted the good will of buying where I have had and will have my car serviced. I don't see why you would be "caving" if no dealer in the state can beat your price. That seems a pessimistic outlook.

If you're taking a loan, did you play your dealer against a/your bank to shave down the rate? Finally, if you decide you do want an extended warranty, don't ruin a good car deal by paying triple the policy price at your dealer! Buy Honda Care from a discount seller online. That alone could save you close to $2000.

Last edited:

gmaxis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Internet sales will also give you a good discount. I inquired online, I received email offers and visited the dealership that offered the best deals.

mnwade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've emailed all the dealerships in MN so far for a 2016 Civic Touring Sedan and have bottomed out at a price of $24,899 pre-tax/fees, which translates into $27,014 OTD. I've tried quoting some of the figures here and showing some of the receipts, but everyone's excuse is that different states have different incentives, etc. This feels so disheartening looking at the prices that other people are getting. Would you guys cave and take that price?
I would try looking either in Chicago, North Dakota or Iowa. The amount of stock in the Minneapolis market is lower for the 2016 and they will not move the price as much.

PenguinMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would try looking either in Chicago, North Dakota or Iowa. The amount of stock in the Minneapolis market is lower for the 2016 and they will not move the price as much.
Actually, I counted, and there's 27 in the Twin Cities alone. Quick look at the surrounding states makes it look like the Twin Cities has the highest concentration of them right now. :-/

Also, would buying out of state make the paperwork/insurance a much bigger hassle?

gmaxis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Usually Thanksgiving and Black Friday offers great deals if you can wait a few more weeks.

Andrew

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I would keep trying until you get it lower. It seems ~26,000 OTD is about the normal now on these forums and considering this is for a 2016 not 2017, I don't see why they aren't budging... I don't know when you started negotiating, but it's also better to wait until the end of the month, as the salesmen/saleswomen are trying to reach their numbers.

Maybe try emailing a Chicago suburb dealer for a quote, and seeing if a MN dealer could match?
I was having similar issues here in Indiana, and was getting frustrated by all the people in California posting about their amazing deals. I visited 7 dealerships across IN/IL before I got to the price I wanted to pay. Some dealers will not go that low, you just gotta find the one that will.

Considering you could potentially save over $1,000, this is definitely something you should be patient with and NOT cave.

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
On the other hand, you could wait too long and not find a '16 in the color you want at the dealer you want. Not sure what discounts will be on the '17s even though it's the same car.

PenguinMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do like the Black Friday idea, seeing as there are currently no incentives other than the military/college graduate ones that are always available. I'm not even convinced the college graduate one is a good deal since it requires financing through HFS with listed APRs that are higher than what I can get at my credit union.

mnwade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would keep trying until you get it lower. It seems ~26,000 OTD is about the normal now on these forums and considering this is for a 2016 not 2017, I don't see why they aren't budging... I don't know when you started negotiating, but it's also better to wait until the end of the month, as the salesmen/saleswomen are trying to reach their numbers.

Maybe try emailing a Chicago suburb dealer for a quote, and seeing if a MN dealer could match?
I was having similar issues here in Indiana, and was getting frustrated by all the people in California posting about their amazing deals. I visited 7 dealerships across IN/IL before I got to the price I wanted to pay. Some dealers will not go that low, you just gotta find the one that will.

Considering you could potentially save over $1,000, this is definitely something you should be patient with and NOT cave.
I agree I wouldn't cave and buy until a better offer is available. I have bought a car in Chicago in the past and they picked me up at the airport and I drove home. Paperwork is simple so no worries there.
Sponsored