What did you pay?

up2d8onmyl1f3

First Name
New Hatch Owner
Reaction score
Car(s)
Soon to be honda civic hatch
Country flag
I'm looking at a Civic Hatch Sport, and my local dealer told me that he can't budge much on price b/c of the low inventory. He only discounted $400.

I plan on emailing a bunch of dealerships around me who have the car in stock (color doesn't matter). The MSRP is $24,650. How much do you think I reasonably negotiate down for an OTD price?

What's the highest warranty I can get for this car? I plan on keeping it for as long as possible, 10+ years or so.
Beware - Depends on the State where you live, or originate the loan, or where the lender is incorporated. It may involve pre-payment penalties or "hidden" financing mechanisms (calculations).
I live in Texas, so there's no early payment penalty. My local dealer said that the financing would be through Honda and not through the dealership directly, so they don't discount with financing. Idk how much of that is BS

Advertisement

VarmintCong

Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 6MT Sport hatch (now 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I live in Texas, so there's no early payment penalty. My local dealer said that the financing would be through Honda and not through the dealership directly, so they don't discount with financing. Idk how much of that is BS
BS, they told me they get $300 if I finance with Honda's 1.9%. They may get more if you finance with them but it's not zero.

tacthecat

Reaction score
Car(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan, '98 Civic EX Coupe 5MT (gifted 3-2020)
Country flag
The $300 "kickback" to the dealer from the finance company (Honda) isn't the issue, it's how much interest you're paying and what are the "hidden" items regarding an early payoff and if the total interest for the term of the loan is front-end loaded into the payments. READ THE CONTRACT before signing.

Carlito17

First Name
Jonathan
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I leased a 2020 Honda Civic (15 miles on it) for 3 years for $250/mo. which includes tax, title, fees. I get 12k per years in miles. I paid an optional $10 a month extra for insurance in case I do minor damage. No money down, but I gave them my 2009 Chevy Malibu with 133k on it. (fair condition).

The national sale right now is $200/mo with no money down, but that's on the base model and I didn't want it (need heated seats and remote start!). Also, my credit isn't great so that affects the price.

What do people think? OK deal?

cheesesteak

Reaction score
Car(s)
Accord
Country flag
I'm looking at a Civic Hatch Sport, and my local dealer told me that he can't budge much on price b/c of the low inventory. He only discounted $400.

I plan on emailing a bunch of dealerships around me who have the car in stock (color doesn't matter). The MSRP is $24,650. How much do you think I reasonably negotiate down for an OTD price?

What's the highest warranty I can get for this car? I plan on keeping it for as long as possible, 10+ years or so.

I can pay cash, however am happy to finance fo a better discount. Should I mention this in the talk about the car (finance then pay it all off on day 91), or keep mum about it to get a better deal?

Your situation sounds almost exactly like me.

Also in Texas and I'm also looking for a 2020 Civic Hatchback Sport (CVT). The MSRP is $24,605 and the dealer only discounted $650 (about 2.5%). After taxes, title, fees, no accessories, it comes to about $25,850 OTD.

Way too high compared to some of these other deals I've seen in the same area. The "average" savings off MSRP I've seen is about 5% and even more if these other reports are accurate.

This was pre-covid though :rolleyes:

Update: Got some some new numbers from a dealer:

MSRP: 24,605
Sale: 22,500 (no add-ons)
OTD: 24,300

Yay/nay? If I can hold out until Labor Day or December, the deals will only get better right? What number range is fair for this trim?

Last edited:

Pitt-Civ

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Car(s)
Focus
Country flag
This is pretty much the same here in PA, although the dealer discount I've found is getting it down to 23,125. Then with fees, and taxes I got a quote of about 25,100 otd. After several dealers haven't budged below the 23k mark since most of the dealers around me have very limited supply. The difference in monthly payment is about 5 bucks a month if I hold out for a better price.

fr0ggystyl

First Name
Ba
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 civic sport sedan
Country flag
Took delivery of my 2019 civic sport sedan last year.
Added options
Vin etched
Invisishield
Wheel locks
Cargo tray
Around $19800 before tax after all fees and tax just a little under $22000. California

Last edited:

Darkmatter

First Name
Jay
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Some of you are great negotiators!

$24,500 + TTL for a 2020 Sonic Gray EX-L Hatchback in November 2019 (my DD)
$22,300 + TTL for a 2020 Red EX Coupe in July 2020 (for a family member in my house)

cheesesteak

Reaction score
Car(s)
Accord
Country flag
2020 Honda Civic Si

I was looking at the only 2020 Black Si Coupe within 100mi. I called John Eagle Honda yesterday and bid on it for 25K OTD. they told me to come in, but when I was there they said 28.9k was the lowest OTD they could do. So I left and I was called back today and we settled on 26,250 OTD.

llDcCeZ.jpg

so all in all 26250 + 750 gap

I love it so far

P.S.
Finance tried to rape me in interest. I did a corporate purchase with myself as a PG. he said the interest rate was 5.9% I asked him what my credit was he said 795 Lol. So I said naw I’ll back out the deal unless u give me 3.9% and nothing higher. He “called” his director in front of me and got it down to 3.9 lol. He tried to rape me in wheel and tire and other maintenance warranties. I declined but did take the GAP for 750. Be careful guys if u get a good deal on the front end you’ll get raped in finance if you don’t know. That’s because they want to make up for the loss in the frontend.

Old post, but can someone help me with the math here?

The Documentary "doc" fee was $163 (which consists of the $118.25 license fee and $44.75 tags/title fee)

But they added these fees AGAIN at the bottom

118.25 license fee + 44.75 tags/title fee = $163, same as previous doc fee above

Did the dealer double dip and charge these items twice?

Or am I missing something here?

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Old post, but can someone help me with the math here?

The Documentary "doc" fee was $163 (which consists of the $118.25 license fee and $44.75 tags/title fee)

But they added these fees AGAIN at the bottom

118.25 license fee + 44.75 tags/title fee = $163, same as previous doc fee above

Did the dealer double dip and charge these items twice?

Or am I missing something here?
Doc fees are usually separate from license\tax\tags (LTT). It's probably a coincidence that they add up to the same amount. More importantly to me, who paid for all those extra add-ons? That was highway robbery!

Phy

Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Civic HB Sport Touring, 2018 Civic HB EX, 2014 CR-Z
Country flag
Doc fees are usually separate from license\tax\tags (LTT). It's probably a coincidence that they add up to the same amount. More importantly to me, who paid for all those extra add-ons? That was highway robbery!
Correct on both counts. Doc fee's are separate, and last I checked the dealer has to charge everyone the same fee, but they decide what that fee is.

Those extra's are insane, and shouldn't be charged for. I guarantee if you said no to all of them (except the "value" and "protection" package" w/e that is) they'd leave it on the car and not charge for it. 200$ pinstripe is literally robbery.

cheesesteak

Reaction score
Car(s)
Accord
Country flag
Doc fees are usually separate from license\tax\tags (LTT). It's probably a coincidence that they add up to the same amount.
I thought so too, but you can never be too careful about "mistakes" or "coincidences" when it comes to a car dealer. Hope more people can chime in.

Advertisement

Advertisement