What did you pay?

FatesWarning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Civic EX Coupe, 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Thank you. It actually wasn't that tough of a negotiation. My bank has a car buying service, I just go online and tell it what kind of car I want and then they send the information to a few local dealers. The bank then tells me what the MSRP is and what the banks suggested price I should pay is. Very shortly after that two different dealers e-mailed me their prices.

Dealer A's price was the MSRP, Dealer B actually came in higher than the MSRP. I emailed dealer A and told them I could get that price from any Honda dealer and they would have to do better than that. I also told them my bank gave me a estimate of how much I should pay (somewhere in the low $18,000 range). They then countered with the $18,990 including the dest.

I then emailed dealer B and asked them if they could match/beat that price. They told me since the 16 just came out and they had so many 15's left he couldn't go any lower than his initial price.

I took that $18,990 and went to a Honda dealer that was closer to me. I had been at this delaer last week and test drove the '16 Civic, I liked the dealership so I wanted to give them a chance to match the price, especially since it was closer. His first offer was the MSRP, I then told him a different Honda dealer in the area offered me $18,990 but I wanted to see if he could match that price since I had been to his dealership first. He barely glanced at the quote and then talked to his manager. He came back and asked if they matched the price if I was willinng to buy it.

I don't mind haggling with car dealers, but this was definitely the easiest negotiating I have ever done. I don't think I would have gotten this price without using my banks car buying service though. I also thought they would give me less for my trade in but they actually gave me a couple hundred more than I expected.
Thanks for the tips. I just went on AAA and looked at the pricing on their car buying service but its $317 higher than what you paid, However, the price is lower today than then it was over the weekend.
Sponsored

toyman70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 element, 2016 civic touring
Country flag
Got the ralley red touring for $27100, also got the 8 year 100,000 mile warranty, 0 deductible for $1195. traded in my wife's 2013 exl got $15,300 (owned it outright) so my total balance OTD $13900 (paid in full)

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I paid $25,999 for our WOP touring. Bought a 7 year 120,000 mile warranty for $920 from another honda dealer online.

csoeffing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T HS Cosmic Blue
Toyman70 & Hondo,

Do you mind mentioning the dealership's name where you bought your car ?

bmartinson13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '97 CR-V
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My price breakdown for my Touring is below. I paid for an additional 8 yr. / 125k miles warranty, auto armor paint and interior protection package, and am having to pay to ship the car from the dealer to where I live - those costs are not included in this "quote" I'm providing below:

$25,265.00, vehicle
$835.00, dealer destination fee
$349.00, console illumination
$397.00, door sill trim illumination
$235.00, interior illumination
$764.00, underbody spoiler-side
$449.00, wireless phone charger
$79.00, wheel locks
---------------
$28,373.00

Last edited:

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
Sure. I got mine from Honda of Tenafly in NJ.
I use to be the Dairy Manager at Stop and Shop right across from that dealer. They where always nice when i stopped in. I really cant wait to pick up the new civic. Im going to wait to the leases come down a bit. I'm not a fan of putting alot of money down or large car payments. I was thinking of Leasing and buying at the end. Right now my wife drives a 2010 crv exl/ nav and i have a 2003 civic ex for my 50 mile a day commute.

I am a die hard Honda fan going back to the late 90's when i got my first new car. ( 96 civic dx) But when you see the Nicely Equipped altima for about 17000.00 it makes me think..

Do you guys hink leasing to buy is smart?

HondaGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
I use to be the Dairy Manager at Stop and Shop right across from that dealer. They where always nice when i stopped in. I really cant wait to pick up the new civic. Im going to wait to the leases come down a bit. I'm not a fan of putting alot of money down or large car payments. I was thinking of Leasing and buying at the end. Right now my wife drives a 2010 crv exl/ nav and i have a 2003 civic ex for my 50 mile a day commute.

I am a die hard Honda fan going back to the late 90's when i got my first new car. ( 96 civic dx) But when you see the Nicely Equipped altima for about 17000.00 it makes me think..

Do you guys hink leasing to buy is smart?
Leasing to buy is a good option with certain cars (Honda and Lexus for example), because you get a pretty fair/low buy option at the end of the lease. Everything has pros and cons, but the pros of leasing are the following:

-Lower Payment
-GAP Insurance included leasing with Honda Financial (click here if you want to know what GAP insurance is)
-If you have multiple accidents during the lease, as long as your insurance or you make the repairs, you do not have to worry about the resale value of the vehicle going down
-If your needs change after three years, like if you need a larger vehicle for the family or something with AWD, its easier to get a new car due to, again, not having to worry about resale value
- the next lease, if its a refresh or redesigned model, will usually have more features, higher MPG and safety.

Leasing is not for everyone, but if you really factor the cost of owning a car for 5-6 years (monthly payment, gas, insurance, tires, brakes, etc) vs leasing two cars in a 6 year period, you would be surprised on how close they are, and in some cases less, since the second lease already comes with a new warranty, tires, brakes, etc.

Having purchased or leased 12 cars in the past 10 years, I would only buy a car if its way under $20k out the door (like a Honda Fit). Other than that, I personally lease from now on.

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
my 50 mile a day commute.
I think that will be a major factor in deciding to lease. The payments go up because you would probably need 18000miles/year.

HondaGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
I have a customer that did a 25k a year lease. It made more sense for her than buying due to the fact that in four years the car would have 100k miles, with her resale value going down exponentially because A) you cannot retail it with a warranty anymore, and B) with the millions of pre-owned Hondas in the market, how many people would chose a four year old model with 100k miles when everything else has less than 50k miles?

Again, leasing is not for everyone, but when you look at all the financial factors, many times it does make sense.

PRak_CivX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EXL
With all the dealers getting the new civics in this week and Honda official releasing the 12th as the official on sale date. Please post what you bought you new civic for...out the door prices...any free accessories thrown in?

Post up your story for the others to use!
To much probably... $24K flat and 1.75% financing for a cosmic blue EXL (Sticker 24,535) but I also got splash guards and high wall all weather mats. No trade in. I sold my 2004 Ford Exploder with 174K miles and some issues for $1K privately... Doubt I could have received more than $500 from the dealer.

vnguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Thank you. It actually wasn't that tough of a negotiation. My bank has a car buying service, I just go online and tell it what kind of car I want and then they send the information to a few local dealers. The bank then tells me what the MSRP is and what the banks suggested price I should pay is. Very shortly after that two different dealers e-mailed me their prices.

Dealer A's price was the MSRP, Dealer B actually came in higher than the MSRP. I emailed dealer A and told them I could get that price from any Honda dealer and they would have to do better than that. I also told them my bank gave me a estimate of how much I should pay (somewhere in the low $18,000 range). They then countered with the $18,990 including the dest.

I then emailed dealer B and asked them if they could match/beat that price. They told me since the 16 just came out and they had so many 15's left he couldn't go any lower than his initial price.

I took that $18,990 and went to a Honda dealer that was closer to me. I had been at this delaer last week and test drove the '16 Civic, I liked the dealership so I wanted to give them a chance to match the price, especially since it was closer. His first offer was the MSRP, I then told him a different Honda dealer in the area offered me $18,990 but I wanted to see if he could match that price since I had been to his dealership first. He barely glanced at the quote and then talked to his manager. He came back and asked if they matched the price if I was willinng to buy it.

I don't mind haggling with car dealers, but this was definitely the easiest negotiating I have ever done. I don't think I would have gotten this price without using my banks car buying service though. I also thought they would give me less for my trade in but they actually gave me a couple hundred more than I expected.
I visited the dealer near my house. They gave me an offer for 2016 white civic lx . I made deal with them then we stop at 19000$. But in my opinion, 19000$ is out-door price and they say no. So I left. They called me today and asked me to meet them again to make a final decision @19000

ahitchcox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
I visited the dealer near my house. They gave me an offer for 2016 white civic lx . I made deal with them then we stop at 19000$. But in my opinion, 19000$ is out-door price and they say no. So I left. They called me today and asked me to meet them again to make a final decision @19000
I got my automatic LX for $18,990 (including the destination fee), the fees added on was tax, registration and documentation fee so you should be able to get it for $19,000. And I bought mine the first day they went on sale, defintiely surprised they let it go for over $1,000 under MSRP. That being said, there was another dealer that was selling the same trim level for over the MSRP price, and when I told them another dealer was going to sell it for a lot less and asked him to match it he said they couldn't sell it for less than MSRP since the car just came out, there was high demand for it, and they still had a lot of 15's left. So I'm sure each dealership is different.

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
My EX with Sensing was $21,205 + $649 doc fee + tax / title. I had floor mats and some exterior coat as add-ons. I had to haggle a lot for that price.
I had a large down-payment, and my interest rate was 2.14%.
Sponsored