Scott_ATL

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic HB Sport Touring, 2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
New here, and currently shopping for a 2018 Sport Touring to replace my 2008 Ford Fusion. Finally decided on the Civic over the Insight, Accord and Camry and started working with the dealer where a friend works. Sales Mgr quoted me full MSRP saying they are "hard to find". There are 50 Sport Tourings within 75 miles of me. Needless to say I balked at his price and have requested pricing from other dealers. Here's what dealer 1 quoted me here in Georgia

Sale price: $29,645 (full MSRP)
Add ons (Trunk Tray, Splash Guards, Wheel locks, Nitrogen): $1,094
Doc Fee: $699
State & Local Tax (7%): $2,204.09
License & Reg: $95
Total Out the Door: $33,737.09

I countered, but the manager wouldn't budge. Needless to say the sales manager lost my friend the sale at this point. I don't think the manager realizes I was doing business with him because of my friend. There are 4 other dealers closer to me.
Sponsored

sneakmefood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46 M3
New here, and currently shopping for a 2018 Sport Touring to replace my 2008 Ford Fusion. Finally decided on the Civic over the Insight, Accord and Camry and started working with the dealer where a friend works. Sales Mgr quoted me full MSRP saying they are "hard to find". There are 50 Sport Tourings within 75 miles of me. Needless to say I balked at his price and have requested pricing from other dealers. Here's what dealer 1 quoted me here in Georgia

Sale price: $29,645 (full MSRP)
Add ons (Trunk Tray, Splash Guards, Wheel locks, Nitrogen): $1,094
Doc Fee: $699
State & Local Tax (7%): $2,204.09
License & Reg: $95
Total Out the Door: $33,737.09

I countered, but the manager wouldn't budge. Needless to say the sales manager lost my friend the sale at this point. I don't think the manager realizes I was doing business with him because of my friend. There are 4 other dealers closer to me.
This is a terrible deal. I think people are routinely getting about $26-27K for the sport touring. Skip all those dealer add ons. Nearly $34K out the door is nuts.

Scott_ATL

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Current quote from another dealer - wow what a difference.

MSRP w/ Destination: $29,645
Sale Price: $26,594
Add ons: $902 (wheel locks, trunk tray, 3m door edge film, window tint)
Admin/Doc Fee: $699 (yay Georgia...not)
GA TAVT tax: $1,973.65
GA Title & Lemon Law fee: $80.00
Total Drive-out Price: $30,248.65

The color is my second choice, so completely acceptable there. I was leery about dealer installed tint after reading some of the posts here, but I confirmed in writing that it is warranted for life (as long as I own the car, which would be at least 10 years) and I can live with that. But, I'm even more leery of a Third Party installer removing the spoiler/rear window wiper to install the tint. With dealer installed, at least if there are any issues they have to fix it. What do you all think? Much better than the $34K from the other dealer.

sneakmefood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46 M3
Current quote from another dealer - wow what a difference.

MSRP w/ Destination: $29,645
Sale Price: $26,594
Add ons: $902 (wheel locks, trunk tray, 3m door edge film, window tint)
Admin/Doc Fee: $699 (yay Georgia...not)
GA TAVT tax: $1,973.65
GA Title & Lemon Law fee: $80.00
Total Drive-out Price: $30,248.65

The color is my second choice, so completely acceptable there. I was leery about dealer installed tint after reading some of the posts here, but I confirmed in writing that it is warranted for life (as long as I own the car, which would be at least 10 years) and I can live with that. But, I'm even more leery of a Third Party installer removing the spoiler/rear window wiper to install the tint. With dealer installed, at least if there are any issues they have to fix it. What do you all think? Much better than the $34K from the other dealer.
Much better deal than the first. I think you can get it for a bit lower too if you find a dealer that will exclude the dealer addons which in this specific case aren't worth almost $1k

You could get the addons yourself for much lower if you really want them:
- wheel locks ($40)
- trunk tray ($75)
- tint ($200?)

Scott_ATL

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Much better deal than the first. I think you can get it for a bit lower too if you find a dealer that will exclude the dealer addons which in this specific case aren't worth almost $1k

You could get the addons yourself for much lower if you really want them:
- wheel locks ($40)
- trunk tray ($75)
- tint ($200?)

Thank you for the input. None of the dealers who've quoted me (five so far) would budge on the add-ons. I know that's their profit maker. The original dealer came back today and matched the better price. I think the Sales Manager changed his tune because I denied him making money on my trade, which I sold today to CarMax for more than I was expecting after KBB & Edmunds evaluations and I think the cheaper dealer is their primary competitor.

Because I have a friend that works at that dealership, and she gets credit for the sale, I've decided to eat the add-ons (about $300 if I bought them myself). Yes, the Nitrogen is bogus, and installing the trunk tray and wheel locks takes all of 15 mins? I did want the splash guards, but didn't want to drill into the rear bumper myself, so any screw up is on the dealer.

My friend did spend the better part of 2 hours with me test driving the Civics, the Insight and even the Accord. She earned the sale with no pressure. Her Sales Manager, however, was the issue. I don't have a problem with a dealer making a profit. I do have a problem with getting hosed. I'll post final drive out tomorrow after the paperwork is signed. And it's my first color choice - White Orchid Pearl.

Supadooka

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello, I'm currently looking at a 2018 PMM Hatchback Sport CVT and the dealer was asking 23,900 for it. Is this a good deal or should I consider looking somewhere else?
I got my 18' Sport 6MT with no options two week ago.

I paid $20.3k ($479 doc fee included). Could have gotten the blue one they had on lot for a bit cheaper but I was really set on red.

CT0760

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring, Blue
Country flag
I paid 27,500 or so out the door for my sport touring, then again it could just be a different market up in IL, (plus you should be getting a better deal looking for 18 with the 19 coming out) kbb and carmax are your friends here

omens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I paid 27,500 or so out the door for my sport touring, then again it could just be a different market up in IL, (plus you should be getting a better deal looking for 18 with the 19 coming out) kbb and carmax are your friends here
27.5 is crazy good out the door.
Did this price include any trade in, new grad, or military discount?

CT0760

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring, Blue
Country flag
27.5 is crazy good out the door.
Did this price include any trade in, new grad, or military discount?
It included a trade in, 08 mazda 3, but I didn't tell the dealership about it til after the price was set of course. Once it was ready I had a receipt of offer from carmax showing what the real value of my trade in compared to what they were offering originally, and implied I might need financing, which allows them to lower the price further, thinking they'd make up for it in interest. I used KBB to pull up average selling prices and used multiple dealerships against each other, providing verifiable proof that if I do not get a price I like at one I can go to another, plus I sort of made it sound like that I was wanting something that they couldn't provide and I was "settling for what they gave me" (I wanted blue but made hardly an inkling toward it, making it sound like I was really looking for white when I knew before coming that they didn't have it.) I tried to get it down to 27 but they wouldn't do that and offered so I negotiated to get 27.5 after the trade but had them throw in those all weather floor mats they had, (worth about 300 according to them.) It was a very long and tiny bit stressful day that I spent a few weeks studying for; I went to so many websites trying to learn the tricks they'd try to do (and they definitely tried them) and how to counter. I had to leave 2 other dealerships because we reached an impasse

Scott_ATL

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I had to leave 2 other dealerships because we reached an impasse
That's the key right there: be willing to walk away. Once a dealer sees you've taken the emotion out of the process and are willing to walk away, they tend to be more ready to deal - especially if your next stop is their competitor, which is what forced my dealer's hand. Also, I went the CarMax route too for my old car. They gave me higher than full market value for a 10.5 year old sedan (granted, I kept it immaculate). That gave me more negotiating cash, and took the trade-in power out of the dealer's hands.
Sponsored