Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hondata basemaps are not bad. They themselves state their basemaps have been comprehensively tuned for fuel, ignition and boost. I would imagine they have done the same modifications we post about on this forum to their own test vehicle and developed their basemaps on a dyno with a degree of margin so the general public can use them safely and universally.

With that said, every car is different with your own modifications and the best optimal and efficient solution would be a custom tune. But until that happens, I would not hesistate to use their basemaps.

1614306668473.png
So you're quoting their marketing campaign to say the base tunes are safe? Not exactly the best source.
Perhaps @Hondata can provide some input here.

Chizzo

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic type r, 1996 civic ex
Country flag
All i need to know is if Hondata is good for daily driving for our cars, i would prefer not to tune and run this conservative map indefinitely.

Reason is simple, its getting me enough HP & TQ to keep me happy forever. Yea you can make more power with a custom tune but with that comes increased maintenance and other problems like chain stretch, water pump shaft play, clutch wear, inner head gasket leaks, leaking exhaust seals and the list goes on.

Yea these problems could come from any tune its how you drive but they will come faster with more power is my point....unneeded power.

Factory is the best for longevity due to its HP and TQ map and parts based for longevity, just like our timing chains are a lifetime no service deal stock.

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Lol so again you're asking the company sales person to verify I'd their product is safe? Have you heard of a conflict of interest?
I get where you are coming from but let me ask you this. If you had a custom tune created for you from a tuner of your choice, and it was deemed to be safe, along with you being happy with how your engine is performing, would you take anyone else's word on your tune aside from your tuner?

There are many threads on this forum in where @Hondata is very active in helping people solve actual technical issues that arise with their product. I doubt whomever is representing Hondata on this forum is just a salesperson. They are more than capable of providing an answer on if their own basemaps are safe.

All i need to know is if Hondata is good for daily driving for our cars, i would prefer not to tune and run this conservative map indefinitely.

Reason is simple, its getting me enough HP & TQ to keep me happy forever. Yea you can make more power with a custom tune but with that comes increased maintenance and other problems like chain stretch, water pump shaft play, clutch wear, inner head gasket leaks, leaking exhaust seals and the list goes on.

Yea these problems could come from any tune its how you drive but they will come faster with more power is my point....unneeded power.

Factory is the best for longevity due to its HP and TQ map and parts based for longevity, just like our timing chains are a lifetime no service deal stock.
For me, I am happy with the extra power, responsiveness, and improved gas mileage I am getting from the Hondata 93 octane basemap. Not to mention, the traction control feature as well. I have been using it for over 6 months/10,000 miles with no issues so far through summer/fall/winter seasons as my car is my daily driver.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have an old school honda and its at .007mm, Fully built 223hp all motor and i get that honda always uses .007mm but it just didn't seem right.
16142939817811674801293670461660.jpg
My guy... every time you post something I feel the need to stick an ice pick in my ear.

.007mm = .00027559"

For reference, the thickness of a human hair is about .0002"

elmerzasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Yeah, but its not...

OTS, or off-the-shelf, refers to a generic tune, suited to fit cars that meet a certain criteria, be it stock, bolt ons, etc. A base map is just that. It is a set of basic operating parameters to get your car running long enough to be properly tuned.

Now I understand why your plugs look that way.
By that defition you should treat the FlashPro FK8 basemaps as OTS tunes. They are absolutely safe and "complete", and will work for both stock and FBO FK8's, provided you use the fuel suited for a given basemap. The FK8 basemaps are not bespoke software engineered from scratch like, let's say, a generic standalone ECU tune on a built engine.

ImTheStatMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester XT
Country flag
Lol so again you're asking the company sales person to verify I'd their product is safe? Have you heard of a conflict of interest?
Hondata’s basemaps are just fine for daily use. There are countless people on this very forum running them, some in excess of 10,000 miles.

Are they optimal? No. They are basemaps so there is a level of margin built in.

Lastly, they are fully editable. You are welcome to take any of there basemaps and adjust it as you see fit. You should always data log your tune to ensure it is running safely, no matter where it is from.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
By that defition you should treat the FlashPro FK8 basemaps as OTS tunes. They are absolutely safe and "complete", and will work for both stock and FBO FK8's, provided you use the fuel suited for a given basemap. The FK8 basemaps are not bespoke software engineered from scratch like, let's say, a generic standalone ECU tune on a built engine.
OTS maps are nothing new. Cobb, APR, United Motorsport, Phearable, TSP and dozens of others make tunes that are "optimized" from a starting point map.

Guess where that "starting map" is derived from? Thats right, you guessed it, the BASE MAPS.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I am absolutely dumbfounded by some of you guys that will spend thousands of dollars on Mugen body parts and aftermarket tail lights and TE's and all sorts of other expensive shit and skimp out on something as important as a custom tune.

Fuck it, do you guys :headbang:

RepyT

Almost Stock ‘19 R on 255/35-19”
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My guy... every time you post something I feel the need to stick an ice pick in my ear.

.007mm = .00027559"

My bag of popcorn and I were eagerly awaiting this watershed moment:

“.007mm = .00027559 inches”

Only problem is I can’t eat anymore with a bloody tongue from biting it all this time.

Congrats W’Tango and I agree with you balanced budget including appropriate custom tuneage. There is a good possibility (as opined here) that those with stock to FBO can effectively and safely use established tunes if configured identically.

Restated in English, custom tune is best but proven presets can worky fine too.

Going with varying degrees of FBO without a matching tune can be a waste of valuable ‘fundages’ so tune is best to follow config whatever method chosen.

Chizzo

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic type r, 1996 civic ex
Country flag

.007mm = .00027559"

Really, brother, .027mm is on the bottom of the 2 and its significantly larger. Im at .022mm and its running perfect
Honda Civic 10th gen What did you do to your Type R today? 16143665963512288788520485480305
Honda Civic 10th gen What did you do to your Type R today? 16143666467599204458691970016422
Honda Civic 10th gen What did you do to your Type R today? 16143666614685144085987775202652