tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
What's smart about the design of that one is the area that would be the most likely to be rubbed and worn is covered in leather. Cool.
Yup, I was a fan of what he did. It was really a stab in the dark since he hadn't worked on this shift knob before and wasn't entirely sure what he would/could be doing to wrap it. I'm happy with the results though :D
Sponsored

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR, 17 TRD Tacoma, 2017 Wrangler, 2020 Avalon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yup, I was a fan of what he did. It was really a stab in the dark since he hadn't worked on this shift knob before and wasn't entirely sure what he would/could be doing to wrap it. I'm happy with the results though :D
How much did that set you back?

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR, 17 TRD Tacoma, 2017 Wrangler, 2020 Avalon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got my 2020 Shift Knob back from Sweidit today. I gotta say, I really did miss using this shift knob, and that's something I've never really said about a shift knob. Really a fan of just how the knob feels. That said, I had him surprise me with the design, it's black leather sides with a red alcantera center with black stitching. Really good stuff here.

DSC08974.jpg

DSC08977.jpg

DSC08973.jpg

DSC08971.jpg

DSC08970.jpg
I also like the cubby holes where you stuck your sunglasses. Where did you get those shelves?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
How much did that set you back?
The shift knob was about 90, the wrap about 80. So all in 170 which is a little less than the OEM Accessory (red leather) knob or Mugen leather knob.

I also like the cubby holes where you stuck your sunglasses. Where did you get those shelves?
Aliexpress actually. Also has two live USB ports for charging which can be useful.

Edit: crap, item no longer available on the link I sent. If you look around I'm sure you'll be able to find another one.

RepyT

Almost Stock ‘19 R on 255/35-19”
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The shift knob was about 90, the wrap about 80. So all in 170 which is a little less than the OEM Accessory (red leather) knob or Mugen leather knob.

Aliexpress actually. Also has two live USB ports for charging which can be useful.

Edit: crap, item no longer available on the link I sent. If you look around I'm sure you'll be able to find another one.
Nice! Slight concern about red Alcantara showing typical grime accumulation vs. leather. Definitely looks good, well done but maybe a hozizontal Instead of vertical pattern change might be better?
Not saying you’re a filthy shifty kind of guy but largest shifting motion is up & down, palm heel and fingertips, and as is, that’s more contact on the red suede.
Tough stuff but still more likely to show dirt/wear than if turned 90 degrees sideways mounted so the common hand areas are on black leather more. See how it wears, share if you please. If produced in quantity a last minute change like this could help return rates, overall customer satisfaction. There is possibly too much thought into human factors aspect here, it’s natural. Anyone get what I’m saying or is it all just the wild mushrooms in today’s salad?

USB wise, this matches well but might not do what you want:
Civic Type-R Red 3 in 1 Black 4 Ft Multi Charging Cord USB Cable, Type-C, iOS
$13.99

Honda Civic 10th gen What did you do to your Type R today? il_170x135.2154971587_rcwm

Etsy is a marketplace where people around the world connect to buy and sell unique goods.

Last edited:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Nice! Slight concern about red Alcantara showing typical grime accumulation vs. leather. Definitely looks good, well done but maybe a hozizontal Instead of vertical pattern change might be better?
Not saying you’re a filthy shifty kind of guy but largest shifting motion is up & down, palm heel and fingertips, and as is, that’s more contact on the red suede.
Tough stuff but still more likely to show dirt/wear than if turned 90 degrees sideways mounted so the common hand areas are on black leather more. See how it wears, share if you please. If produced in quantity a last minute change like this could help return rates, overall customer satisfaction. There is possibly too much thought into human factors aspect here, it’s natural. Anyone get what I’m saying or is it all just the wild mushrooms in today’s salad?

uSB wise, this matches well but might not do what you want:
Civic Type-R Red 3 in 1 Black 4 Ft Multi Charging Cord USB Cable, Type-C, iOS
$13.99

il_170x135.2154971587_rcwm.jpg

Etsy is a marketplace where people around the world connect to buy and sell unique goods. https://i.etsystatic.com/8444499/r/il/88341e/2154971587/il_fullxfull.2154971587_rcwm.jpg
I can see your point, I probably would contact the alcantera less if I made it face horizontally. Though aesthetically it doesn't quite match the rest of interior (the single horizontal line would kind of clash against everything moving vertically). I guess I'll see how long the alcantera holds up.

As for the USB cables, I didn't get the cubby thing to get the additional USB ports. Though they are nice to have, the original intent was to have a little cubby storage area.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
:) Leading the Corvette and Mustang; the way it should be. :thumbsup:

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
i know this is cool looking but help me understand how the slight extra almost whale tail downforce is going to help traction at higher speeds with front wheel drive when it is trying to oppose front downforce leveraging upward, trying to lift the front end if done to extremes? Sorry if the engineer within me sticks his hand out to scratch my head. Does redeem itself looking cool.

Meanwhile, back at the house of Yawn...
I somewhat enjoy a lower spoiler add on L’flap that is practically invisible and does nothing but make me feel like I tried to do something with $30.

94732636-4186-40FC-AE2B-46C019AC2F30.jpeg
Grip up front is not a problem at high speeds with this car, keeping the rear behind you is. Check out the guys running fast times in CTRs at the track; they almost all have larger rear wings.

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
Grip up front is not a problem at high speeds with this car, keeping the rear behind you is. Check out the guys running fast times in CTRs at the track; they almost all have larger rear wings.

He's right. You don't need a BAW.

The OEM one is more than suffice to create the downforce this car needs. Anything more and it just creates understeer.

RepyT

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
He's right. You don't need a BAW.

The OEM one is more than suffice to create the downforce this car needs. Anything more and it just creates understeer.
Rem & IPF, FatherPain,
Underwear steer? I mean understeer where?

Most folks that don’t carefully calculate and adjust selection of components can wind up with steering changes most evident on the track. Since I have no nearby faculty nor do I plan on going to a track except once maybe to prove I’m not worthy despite ancient track training class in Rosamond, CA in the late 80’s driving Celicas.

BAW or not is a personal choice but recognize this.

There are many aspects Honda engineers worked hard to do and got right, aerodynamics is one of them. None (ok maybe a few) have equipment to measure the impact of changes to downforce. If your track times are better with it, great. Just because everyone does it is a tuner mentality we all need to keep in check. Not saying there aren’t dozens of worthy changes, just not sure all of them aero or not improve performance even if they make people feel better they do.

Car design is a compromise of appearance, performance, and economy (fuel and cost to produce). Tinkering isn’t always necessary but if it looks cool, it must be good as everyone else is doing it. Crowdsourcing can be good and bad at once. A simple gerflap, not a big deal, changing to a giant V-whatever BAW without extensive wind tunnel testing to assess impact, not always the best idea (ask some Corvair owners what could happen without mods or adequate OEM testing)..

The standard of 18” tires vs. OEM 20 or even 19” impacts aerodynamics as well along with poke, how much does that matter to me? Not much but I want to hug some stock aspects I trust Honda got right.
Bottom line is make whatever changes you enjoy and believe help performance or just please you aesthetically. Not always the best idea to do it for one reason and claim the other. I live in a follow the leader society and work envirinment. My choices of mods is intentionally different from the masses to compromise or stay close to OEM intent while expressing personal taste. My theory is look wild, mod mild. It’s all good!

Last edited:

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
Rem & IPF, FatherPain,
Underwear steer? I mean understeer where?

Most folks that don’t carefully calculate and adjust selection of components can wind up with steering changes most evident on the track. Since I have no nearby faculty nor do I plan on going to a track except once maybe to prove I’m not worthy despite ancient track training class in Rosamond, CA in the late 80’s driving Celicas.

BAW or not is a personal choice but recognize this.

There are many aspects Honda engineers worked hard to do and got right, aerodynamics is one of them. None (ok maybe a few) have equipment to measure the impact of changes to downforce. If your track times are better with it, great. Just because everyone does it is a tuner mentality we all need to keep in check. Not saying there aren’t dozens of worthy changes, just not sure all of them aero or not improve performance even if they make people feel better they do.

Car design is a compromise of appearance, performance, and economy (fuel and cost to produce). Tinkering isn’t always necessary but if it looks cool, it must be good as everyone else is doing it. Crowdsourcing can be good and bad at once. A simple gerflap, not a big deal, changing to a giant V-whatever BAW without extensive wind tunnel testing to assess impact, not always the best idea (ask some Corvair owners what could happen without mods or adequate OEM testing)..

The standard of 18” tires vs. OEM 20 or even 19” impacts aerodynamics as well along with poke, how much does that matter to me? Not much but I want to hug some stock aspects I trust Honda got right.
Bottom line is make whatever changes you enjoy and believe help performance or just please you aesthetically. Not always the best idea to do it for one reason and claim the other. I live in a follow the leader society and work envirinment. My choices of mods is intentionally different from the masses to compromise or stay close to OEM intent while expressing personal taste. My theory is look wild, mod mild. It’s all good!
Uhhh ok. Kind of regretting I just spent my time to read that lengthy post as I didn't really get your point. But it sounds like the response you're looking for is ... "You do you". So uhhh... You do you man.

RepyT

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Uhhh ok. Kind of regretting I just spent my time to read that lengthy post as I didn't really get your point. But it sounds like the response you're looking for is ... "You do you". So uhhh... You do you man.
You do whatever makes you you too.

Appreciate you made it through that without a nap.

Ehance was sort of my point, not just change something because it does nothing but looks cool aka recognized as eye candy . Fewer mods improve and look good. Real easy order parts vs explain how they help. I have mostly eye candy mods,
Whatever makes you happy is fine here, I like to see the creativity.