What did you do to your Civic today? (II)

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Where did you get your spoiler from and how do you like it/how was the install.
Depending on which one you're referring to...

The Type R replica wing: https://absdynamics.com/collections/honda-1/products/spoiler-amg-gt?variant=28708323328079
This thing is identical to the Type R one. As far as install, I bought some 1/4" wide x 1/8" tall foam tape which I put between the pieces to prevent rattle. You also want longer bolts than they provide, I can't remember exactly what length I used but it was like 10mm longer than the bolt they provide. Also try to find some rubber washers in the plumbing section of home depot or lowes to use on the inside, as the angle isn't quite right so a metal washer won't sit the right way. I used some 3m weatherstrip tape to secure the side pieces to the body and prevent water from getting in. When you drill the holes, you'll print out the template, cut it out, and tape a bunch of painters tape over the area where the holes will be (but under the template of course) so that the chips from drilling don't scratch anything. Measure 3 times, drill once. There's no going back once you put a hole in your hatch. Once the holes are done, you'll want to protect them with paint and clear coat, or at least some clear coat. This also helps to prevent rust, and I happened to get a small bottle of leftover from when I had my wing painted by a shop so I just used that. Then it's just a matter of cutting the tape right to create an effective water seal and tightening down the bolts.

The V-style: https://www.amazon.com/Optimal-Co-2016-2020-Hatchback-Generation/dp/B081D6SBYF
This is a nice piece. The gloss black came nice, no scratches, etc. The tape they provide is extremely thin, and I would recommend instead getting a roll of gorilla mounting tape here: https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-6036...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
But once you put the tape on the bottom of this, you have to try and center it without it sticking. The thing is, the bottom has a small part that sticks down further to help you line it up and put it all the way forward so it sits right. This is so short that when you try to center it and then push it forward to that little lip, the tape sticks. Just go slowly and eventually you will get it. Took me about 10 mins including wiping stuff down with isopropyl, etc.
Sponsored

Reactions: Phy

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Fellow New Yorker here. It really does feel useless to try and keep a car clean this time of year. Lol. I still spray mine off once a week or so, just to keep the salt off it as much as possible.
Yeah, I just don't have the time to spray it down usually. I also drive 160 miles round trip to work and back so it gets disgusting in just one day. I got the Krown rust proofing to try and help with the rust from all the salt we seem to love using up here!

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Depending on which one you're referring to...

The Type R replica wing: https://absdynamics.com/collections/honda-1/products/spoiler-amg-gt?variant=28708323328079
This thing is identical to the Type R one. As far as install, I bought some 1/4" wide x 1/8" tall foam tape which I put between the pieces to prevent rattle. You also want longer bolts than they provide, I can't remember exactly what length I used but it was like 10mm longer than the bolt they provide. Also try to find some rubber washers in the plumbing section of home depot or lowes to use on the inside, as the angle isn't quite right so a metal washer won't sit the right way. I used some 3m weatherstrip tape to secure the side pieces to the body and prevent water from getting in. When you drill the holes, you'll print out the template, cut it out, and tape a bunch of painters tape over the area where the holes will be (but under the template of course) so that the chips from drilling don't scratch anything. Measure 3 times, drill once. There's no going back once you put a hole in your hatch. Once the holes are done, you'll want to protect them with paint and clear coat, or at least some clear coat. This also helps to prevent rust, and I happened to get a small bottle of leftover from when I had my wing painted by a shop so I just used that. Then it's just a matter of cutting the tape right to create an effective water seal and tightening down the bolts.
I got a replica wing for my wife off amazon (extreme something I think) and it was "adequate", but I think the ABS Dynamics has taller pillars. I'm looking into getting one for my car soon, and just wondering which version is the best. So far I've found every seller gets complaints about hardware and/or template issues.

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got a replica wing for my wife off amazon (extreme something I think) and it was "adequate", but I think the ABS Dynamics has taller pillars. I'm looking into getting one for my car soon, and just wondering which version is the best. So far I've found every seller gets complaints about hardware and/or template issues.
Those other "replica" versions are smaller, and imo look weird. You can definitely tell something isn't right with the proportions on those ones. But yes, there will be template and hardware issues as this is kind of a challenge to drill perfectly. For any of these wings. You're trying to line up the hole you drill with a pre-existing hole in a separate piece of sheet metal inside the hatch, and there's probably a good inch and a half gap between them. I actually used a de-burring bit to open up the holes when I did mine because they didn't line up after I drilled them. Combine that gap between the pieces of metal with the angle of the hatch on the exterior, and it's just really hard to get it dead nuts. I had a bit of an advantage as well, I grew up working in machine shops, BUT if you take your time and do some research, it'll be nice. @nrchaytor has a nice thread on here of his install, and it helped me a ton! If you do the foam tape and 3m weatherstrip tape like I said, you won't have any rattle either which is one of the few complaints I've seen for the absdynamics one.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Slapped on the v-style spoiler and finally did the red pinstripe that I've had for a few months. Makes the back pop so much more, I love it. Dirty girl but really there's just no point anymore here in Rochester NY... Spring can't come soon enough!
IMG_20200211_170238.jpg
IMG_20200211_170250.jpg
Looks good :thumbsup:
Btw I don’t miss that white stuff on the ground

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Those other "replica" versions are smaller, and imo look weird. You can definitely tell something isn't right with the proportions on those ones. But yes, there will be template and hardware issues as this is kind of a challenge to drill perfectly. For any of these wings. You're trying to line up the hole you drill with a pre-existing hole in a separate piece of sheet metal inside the hatch, and there's probably a good inch and a half gap between them. I actually used a de-burring bit to open up the holes when I did mine because they didn't line up after I drilled them. Combine that gap between the pieces of metal with the angle of the hatch on the exterior, and it's just really hard to get it dead nuts. I had a bit of an advantage as well, I grew up working in machine shops, BUT if you take your time and do some research, it'll be nice. @nrchaytor has a nice thread on here of his install, and it helped me a ton! If you do the foam tape and 3m weatherstrip tape like I said, you won't have any rattle either which is one of the few complaints I've seen for the absdynamics one.
Yeah, getting hers on was more challenging than I expected, but if it's the same with each "brand" then is the higher priced ones better? Hers came with 3m tape, and I only needed to buy washers to close the gap between the screws and the hatch.

Protek

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I ordered the same looking blinkers from ebay below for a bit less to run on just the rear. If you don't have hyper flash, I may try them on the front as well. Did you test them with the signal stalk (not hazards) for a few minutes on each side? Heard after a few minutes they start to hyper flash if these bulbs are used on both ends.
Those look to be the same ones, but I'll pay the extra $2 for same day shipping on Amazon:D. Yea I have them installed in the front and rear with no hyper flash issues with signal or hazards. I've had them for a few weeks now and no issues. This is my second go at it though. The first set I bought were regular LEDs and did not have the load resistors. I first tried them with the hazards and they worked fine with no hyper flashing. Took it out driving and hyper flashed with the signal. Did some research and learned about hyper flash and load resistors. Pretty amazing these LEDs have the load resistors built in! Years ago you'd have to splice in some resistors...gotta love technology. Just make sure to put the same ones in the front and you'll be fine with no hyper flash signal.

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, getting hers on was more challenging than I expected, but if it's the same with each "brand" then is the higher priced ones better? Hers came with 3m tape, and I only needed to buy washers to close the gap between the screws and the hatch.
Just buy the absdynamics one. That is the only high quality full size one that I have seen tons of people install on this forum, with no issues except rattling. But again, use the foam tape and you'll be fine. I wouldn't use whatever they send for the tape, I doubt it is true 3m material. You do NOT want water to get in between the body and the wing. The tape doesn't really hold that much down anyways because you have it bolted with 2 bolts on each side. Those provide most of the force to keep it in place, especially if you use Loctite.

It may seem like there is a bit of work here, but it is worth it as the wing is VERY high quality. I literally pulled in next to a Type R and he thought mine was a Type R because of how legit the wing is.

MaTtKs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Spent the day at Evasive Motorsports.
  • Installed AWE Touring Exhaust w/ Triple Black Tips
  • Mounted and balanced TE37SL w/ Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 245/40/18
  • Installed Eibach Camber Arm Kit
  • Alignment
Loving the AWE exhaust, although it’s a touch louder than I expected. Going from 32lb HFP 19”s to 18lb Volk 18”s made the car feel completely different. Steering and handling is much lighter and easier, but I definitely pick up more of the feel of the road with the light wheels. Happy overall. Couple crappy pics here.

Honda Civic 10th gen What did you do to your Civic today? (II) 29B80D19-3BD4-439B-8104-0C2768F00A94

Honda Civic 10th gen What did you do to your Civic today? (II) AC8EE3E3-74FD-4C40-9D2D-D186F128EE23

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Spent the day at Evasive Motorsports.
  • Installed AWE Touring Exhaust w/ Triple Black Tips
  • Mounted and balanced TE37SL w/ Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 245/40/18
  • Installed Eibach Camber Arm Kit
  • Alignment
Loving the AWE exhaust, although it’s a touch louder than I expected. Going from 32lb HFP 19”s to 18lb Volk 18”s made the car feel completely different. Steering and handling is much lighter and easier, but I definitely pick up more of the feel of the road with the light wheels. Happy overall. Couple crappy pics here.

29B80D19-3BD4-439B-8104-0C2768F00A94.jpeg

AC8EE3E3-74FD-4C40-9D2D-D186F128EE23.jpeg
You doing really nice work to your car
Looks great

Protek

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Changed out standard low beam bulbs in my 2019 sport hatchback for LEDs. Overall really impressed with these lights. The color matches spot on with the day time LED running lights and dramatic improvement with light beam pattern and how much of the road is actually illuminated. Feel way safer driving at night now! Hopefully these will hold up well but from the reviews they sound pretty solid. Provided a link for those interested:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3HM8BZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Honda Civic 10th gen What did you do to your Civic today? (II) yfveHryGQXm4HUMLZy6UbQ
Honda Civic 10th gen What did you do to your Civic today? (II) 1vySX5U3QkaWLZfvTfCj9A
Honda Civic 10th gen What did you do to your Civic today? (II) oemthFLnT+e8FA8r%b1QYQ