What did you do to your Civic today? (II)

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I live in Massachusetts and we have very strict yearly car inspections. Based on the law, I can't modify my exhaust in any way or else I risk not passing my yearly inspection. While I think the intended effect is to make sure all emissions systems are in place, it also specifically mentions that all cars must have their mufflers and cannot have any modifications that would cause the car to sound louder than stock.

I have been rocking the fake exhaust tips that came with my aftermarket rear diffuser. I always had intended to replace them with real pipes but I've been scared to make any changes due to the tough yearly car inspections. As a happy medium, I decided that I wanted to have the pipe after the muffler extended to the new outlets with new exhaust tips. This would retain the OEM exhaust system in place, including the mufflers, but would give me the look without it sounding any different.

I did some research online and decided to go with a shop that had many great reviews online and specialized in custom muffler and exhaust systems. This is where my plan sort of fell apart. :confused:

The shop took me out to my car on the lift and told me they wouldn't be able to do what I wanted. In order to get the pipes in place, I would need to straight up delete my mufflers. They wouldn't be able to custom fabricate the pipes in the way I wanted. I asked if this would cause me to fail the yearly inspection, they mentioned that they couldn't guarantee anything but that it wouldn't be too much louder than stock and it would probably pass the inspection just fine.

I called the inspection station I normally go to in order to ask if I would immediately fail my inspection due to the modified exhaust. They told me to bring it in so they could look before I had them actually do the inspection. I decided to take a gamble and had the exhaust shop delete my mufflers.

Today, I went in for my inspection and the inspectors told me they didn't have any problems with my new setup. It really would come down to the noise. Luckily for me, it doesn't sound much louder than stock - it just sounds deeper/richer/more "throaty" - and I passed with flying colors!

Now my car looks much better, sounds way better, is lighter (I think I read each muffler is ~40 pounds), and is no longer using those fake exhaust tips! :thumbsup:

Why did I write all this up? I was obsessively looking all over Google for people with aftermarket exhausts (specifically with muffler deletes since the law explicitly states that they must be on the car still) recounting their stories with the new Massachusetts year car inspection process. I didn't find anything so I wanted to do my part of leaving my story here in case anyone else is wondering if you can delete your mufflers and still pass the Massachusetts state inspection. The answer is MAYBE. You can have the mufflers deleted but it still can't be obnoxiously loud. YMMV, this will always be up to whoever is doing the inspections.

And, of course, :postpics:

rearside1.jpg

rearside2.jpg

mufflers.jpg

View attachment 226700
Very nice Honda should have put the exhaust tips on the 1.5 turbos sedan/coupe like yours in the first place yours looks like a factory piece one good thing about Florida no state inspection ( I used to live in NY )

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
Swapped out my oil for summer. Not sure if the oil was diluted or if the dealer overfilled at my last change, but I was able to pump out about 3.7 to 3.8qts

Honda Civic 10th gen What did you do to your Civic today? (II) 0984846E-010E-401F-BDEA-4053C6DC95E3

Beansley

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Plastidipped the emblem. First time doing this..

The future wife actually did most the work, I don't trust these hands with anything paint or precision related. It took us two times because the first time we applied I guess it wasn't thick enough, started to peel and there was some peeling on the H. Definitely may have done some minor scratching in the holes of it but not noticeable unless you're inches away.

Overall it wasn't too hard and would recommend to any first timers, kinda fun. It's too bad vinylmod doesn't offer the emblems to match the Civic and trim I have cause I do like the chrome slightly showing. Look forward to doing the front!

Honda Civic 10th gen What did you do to your Civic today? (II) 20200617_202118

David16touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic touring, 2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD.
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I live in Massachusetts and we have very strict yearly car inspections. Based on the law, I can't modify my exhaust in any way or else I risk not passing my yearly inspection. While I think the intended effect is to make sure all emissions systems are in place, it also specifically mentions that all cars must have their mufflers and cannot have any modifications that would cause the car to sound louder than stock.

I have been rocking the fake exhaust tips that came with my aftermarket rear diffuser. I always had intended to replace them with real pipes but I've been scared to make any changes due to the tough yearly car inspections. As a happy medium, I decided that I wanted to have the pipe after the muffler extended to the new outlets with new exhaust tips. This would retain the OEM exhaust system in place, including the mufflers, but would give me the look without it sounding any different.

I did some research online and decided to go with a shop that had many great reviews online and specialized in custom muffler and exhaust systems. This is where my plan sort of fell apart. :confused:

The shop took me out to my car on the lift and told me they wouldn't be able to do what I wanted. In order to get the pipes in place, I would need to straight up delete my mufflers. They wouldn't be able to custom fabricate the pipes in the way I wanted. I asked if this would cause me to fail the yearly inspection, they mentioned that they couldn't guarantee anything but that it wouldn't be too much louder than stock and it would probably pass the inspection just fine.

I called the inspection station I normally go to in order to ask if I would immediately fail my inspection due to the modified exhaust. They told me to bring it in so they could look before I had them actually do the inspection. I decided to take a gamble and had the exhaust shop delete my mufflers.

Today, I went in for my inspection and the inspectors told me they didn't have any problems with my new setup. It really would come down to the noise. Luckily for me, it doesn't sound much louder than stock - it just sounds deeper/richer/more "throaty" - and I passed with flying colors!

Now my car looks much better, sounds way better, is lighter (I think I read each muffler is ~40 pounds), and is no longer using those fake exhaust tips! :thumbsup:

Why did I write all this up? I was obsessively looking all over Google for people with aftermarket exhausts (specifically with muffler deletes since the law explicitly states that they must be on the car still) recounting their stories with the new Massachusetts year car inspection process. I didn't find anything so I wanted to do my part of leaving my story here in case anyone else is wondering if you can delete your mufflers and still pass the Massachusetts state inspection. The answer is MAYBE. You can have the mufflers deleted but it still can't be obnoxiously loud. YMMV, this will always be up to whoever is doing the inspections.

rearside1.jpg

rearside2.jpg

mufflers.jpg

It’s a little strange that the exhaust shop said they couldn’t do it without removing the mufflers. I got my exhaust tips redirected to what I believe is the exact same diffuser as yours lol. All they had to do was cut a small half circle in some sheet metal that would block the redirection and after that they coated the exposed metal with an anti corrosion spray paint. They even touched up my mufflers silver again! But either way as long as you’re happy with the sound you got and the looks then no issue at all!

Honda Civic 10th gen What did you do to your Civic today? (II) 9EBB68DD-FE32-48F3-9744-4C60F5E022CE

Anonymous8Bit

First Name
Jernelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag

xaviersayys

Xavier
First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

rearside1.jpg

rearside2.jpg

mufflers.jpg
That’s strange. It’s definitely possible. I had a shop just reroute/fabricate piping and mandrel bends through my diffuser so I can retain my stock mufflers for this exact reason.

Honda Civic 10th gen What did you do to your Civic today? (II) 7DFA31F9-6B41-4918-857D-13E8F9059393

xaviersayys

Xavier
First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyone know if the 2019 chrome piece in this picture can be swapped out to my 2017 civic? Trying to not have to take the whole bumper off.
civic.png
It’s a direct swap. But I would highly recommend taking off the rear bumper. There’s a screw or two that’s virtually impossible (or just TOO strenuous) to undo if you keep the bumper on.

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have that moonroof visor. Like it very much. Agreed on Weathertech's (and OEM) - looks and feels clunky though I like the way it installs instead of just 3M tape like the carid one.
What size moon roof visor did you get for the car? Mine was 35.5”. I’m not sure yet how it’s going to fit but hopefully I didn’t get the incorrect size because when I measured with a tape measure and added the 1” on each side of the sunroof it was showing 34” something.

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

rearside1.jpg

rearside2.jpg

mufflers.jpg
I grew up in MA and the inspections are ridiculous. You get to a point where you just have to know a guy lol. Glad to see you getting around the bs :headbang: :headbang:

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Put my sunroof visor on. It’s so hot in Florida, before I could even press down for a firm hold, the tape was already sticking to the car. Not easy to do by yourself but I manage to get it on with no problems. Just had to keep checking the clearance for the visor tilt to make sure it’s not catching onto the visor itself.

here’s the link to the product I used.
https://www.carid.com/stampede/stam...um=order&utm_campaign=order_notification_mail

Honda Civic 10th gen What did you do to your Civic today? (II) 602BC32A-F8CC-4967-B0DB-65C7796F3BAA

Honda Civic 10th gen What did you do to your Civic today? (II) EAF3BAE6-7B13-4E38-BA6D-ADD407A8A9A4

Update: so took the car out for a test run to test out the sunroof visor and it seemed to held on pretty well. Can’t really tell a difference with the reduction of wind noise when the moonroof completely open but it seems to be doing its job.

Last edited:

joe3456789

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Swapped out my oil for summer. Not sure if the oil was diluted or if the dealer overfilled at my last change, but I was able to pump out about 3.7 to 3.8qts

0984846E-010E-401F-BDEA-4053C6DC95E3.jpeg
Yo cuz where did you get that pump from? I wouldn't mind using that lol. Does it get all the oil out?