What did you almost buy? And why you chose the Civic

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
In fact I was dead set on a used Mustang GT. However, renting a Mustang for a week on vacation changed I my mind.
I'd like to hear what you thought of it after that week. I've been in a few rentals and ended up feeling so unsatisfied that you couldn't give the cars to me.
Sponsored

billm

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd like to hear what you thought of it after that week. I've been in a few rentals and ended up feeling so unsatisfied that you couldn't give the cars to me.
First off the car looked great on the outside. The cool mustang logo that project from the door at night are pretty cool also. Things go down after that. The gauge cluster looks out of place behind the steering wheel. My arm never sat confortably on the console lid. I'm 6' so it's not like I'm an odd size or something. The sill plates are hard plastic and there was sharp casting flash that kept scratching my arm when driving around. No back seat behind the driver. My seat was all the way back and no one could sit behind me. Lastly, road noise. We had the four banger with eco boost and the road noise was horrendous. I heard it's better with the V8 due to the weight difference but never did any further research after that.

howasaur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
For me, I checked out a few second gen TSX's around 70k miles. Sellers were either sketchy or not willing to go down to a fair market price on their cars...

Test drove a GTI, but really don't want to deal with VW reliability (former owners also advised not to get near one, stating out of warranty period being hell).

Haven't pulled the trigger on a Si yet, but I may very well do so soon since finding "the one" on Craigslist near me is just too hard.

Also, with newer tech stuff (backup cameras and Apple CarPlay/Android Auto), advancements in efficiency, and better comfort from a newer car at a discounted price from MSRP, it's hard to not get excited over a Civic.

dingeesboy

Stacerino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T 2012 Nissan Quest 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was so close to pulling the trigger on a 2015 Subaru Crosstrek in sunrise yellow, but 5 different dealers sold each one while we were in negotiations. (all out of state)
Honda Civic 10th gen What did you almost buy? And why you chose the Civic images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNuHNuCckMWVHQxN5IVJ4L9hkfm4mEkmkMsX0VskHUdgWEZa7Z6Q
Honda Civic 10th gen What did you almost buy? And why you chose the Civic index.php?action=dlattach;topic=100105
Honda Civic 10th gen What did you almost buy? And why you chose the Civic maxresdefault

after going to look at a used subie at my local dealer and having the salesman bullshit me and blow so much smoke up my ass ( 2014 subie w/12k mi for 32k ) I left and went to the Honda dealer across from the subaru dealership.

I didn't really want a FWD vehicle, but after i drove the EX-T i had changed my mind. I actually went and purchased the car from a totally different dealer the next day.

Our local honda dealer was playing us with numbers and called my wife "SWEETIE" !!! Big No No

Anywho, I'm glad I bought a Civic (this in now my 5th civic) 1 yr owned now and I still love it. I'm in the process of modding it inside and out, and someday pass it on to my son.

baillieul

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
bcause honda civic mean speed
I was looking at the Elantra GT sport, till I saw the residuals. Ended up doing a lease takeover of a 2016 civic LX for 24 months with 3K incentive from lessee. No brainer for me.

yyzcivic

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Sport Touring-MT
Country flag
For me I really wanted a car with sensing features. But I also didn't want to forfeit the ability to change my own gears. For the longest while it was just the Mazda 3 or vw Jett a autobahn with them and I was really liking the mazda. Then came the new golf GTI and civic Hatch (in Canada at least) with the Sport touring offering a 6MT and automatic AND sensing including emergency braking (and more).
Mazda still has more automated features but lacks Android auto and a turbo and I was still unsure how it would hold up with rust against Canadian winters.
I was afraid of long term expensive parts and maintenance with the golf.
I was coming from an 03 accord coupe and loved parts availability and the simplicity and 'repaireable-ness' and sheer reliability of Honda motors. So I pulled the trigger.
Up till now I very rarely see A 6MT Sport Touring on the road lolol sure that'll change soon enough. #savethemanuals

trailbrake

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Aegean Blue 2002 SC430
Country flag
WRX - did not like the shifter as much, felt heavier, worse mileage, worse interior, less legroom and storage, less reliable, more expensive, etc.
Focus RS - amazing cornering and very fast, but not ideal for a daily driver, plus cost of purchase too high, insurance ugly, and tires $2K a set!
My instincts were good on this one - the RS has a lot of fans, but has had serious mechanical issues right from the start.
Type R- What I originally came in to the Honda dealer to check out, and then was told they had none in stock, were getting $ 45-55,000 for them, and forget a test drive. So checked out the new SI and loved it. The handling, especially in Sport mode, the limited slip, the mid-range torque, the seats, the brakes - a true drivers car. That also works better than the competition as a daily driver. Love the looks, love the space, love the mileage, love the interior, but really love to hit a corner or long sweepers in sports mode. I test drove an earlier gen SI and liked it. But love this one. It is just a Hondata tune- for more power and no rev hang - and some good summer tires away from perfect. But I can live with it happily as is.

fk-eight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR R-35355/ 2021 SGP Accord Touring
Country flag
Well, I haven't owned a Civic for many moons. And, I actually still don't. But, as soon as I can find a Type-R for a decent price, I will pick one up. Shown is my 2012 (Auburn) 2013 (Silver) 2014 (Blue) and 2017 (new body style hatchback, Gray) Cruzes. I put 50-100K miles on them, and trade them in. They're all gone, now, except the Gray 2017, which I picked up, in August of 2017, and now has 20,600 miles on it. I plan to get a Type-R soon. I have a lead on one that the sales manager is willing to let go for $2,500 over, and its in route on the truck. So, all can do is wait.

The Silver, Blue, and Gray were/ are all tuned. The 2017 is actually an amazing little car. Its a premier, and it has every option you can get installed. Leather, moonroof, heated seats, front and rear, heated steering wheel, Apple Car Play, wireless charging, Factory Nav. Projectors/ LED headlights. 225/30/18s. Blind spot, rear cross traffic, auto dimming rear view, parking sensors, backup camera with guidance lines. Lane keep assist. Its just a good little car to drive. And tuned, its really nice. The 6 speed auto is pretty quick, there is also a flash on the trans to go with the tune. The other 3 cars were all 6 speed manuals. Overall, I have been happy with them all, I just drive a lot, and I run through cars.

Honda Civic 10th gen What did you almost buy? And why you chose the Civic 94640115-F93B-40D6-BA26-A4789645608A

ChrisSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan, 2009 Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Shown is my 2012 (Auburn) 2013 (Silver) 2014 (Blue) and 2017 (new body style hatchback, Gray) Cruzes. I put 50-100K miles on them, and trade them in. They're all gone, now, except the Gray 2017, which I picked up, in August of 2017, and now has 20,600 miles on it. I plan to get a Type-R soon. I have a lead on one that the sales manager is willing to let go for $2,500 over, and its in route on the truck. So, all can do is wait.

94640115-F93B-40D6-BA26-A4789645608A.jpg
I'm sorry. Eww. A Focus ST/RS, Fiesta ST I can understand, but these? Yuck.

Also, save your money and just buy the Type R from a dealer farther from you. Nearly all the dealers within 500 miles of me are selling Type Rs for MSRP. Even if you have to fly to go pick it up, it'll be cheaper than that markup.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My main thing was MPG. I drive 110mi a day to work round trip. I was driving my WRX and a 2000 Mustang. My fuel bills were ridiculous and both cars are not the most comfortable thing to sit in for hours. I ended up with the Civic because of all the features it included for such a low mark up. Heated seats, keyless entry, automatic climate control, moon roof, remote start, Android Auto... These are all things every other manufacture charges a premium for.

2016 Impreza base (non turbo) - I liked the car... drove great. It was just so freaking bland... Came with nothing. MPG wasn't anything special.

2016 Focus ST - Extremely unimpressed with this thing. It wasn't fast, super cramped on the inside, and just so blah looking. I drove the ST3 package too, so it was a $34,000 Ford Focus... I'd just get an RS if I was spending that much.

2016 Mazda 3 - Again, nothing made this car stand out from the crowd. Some nice paint options, but just felt so cheap inside.

2016 Subaru Crosstrek - I love the look of this car, but man did it ride and drive terrible. Tons of body roll, very jarring over bumps, incredibly loud cabin.

2016 Chevy Volt - I was super close to pulling the trigger on this one. There is nothing about this car that I don't like. Rides great, quiet, great options, incredible electric range, equally incredible gasoline range (compared to previous gen). The reason I didn't get this car was the depreciation of the previous generations. Two year old Volts were selling used for $18,000-$20,000 less than they sold off the lot for. There was no way I was buying a new Volt with that kind of depreciation. I may revisit that car this year or next tho.

fk-eight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR R-35355/ 2021 SGP Accord Touring
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen What did you almost buy? And why you chose the Civic B1E60C51-5F62-4094-ACCE-DEE69DA582CF
I'm sorry. Eww. A Focus ST/RS, Fiesta ST I can understand, but these? Yuck.

Also, save your money and just buy the Type R from a dealer farther from you. Nearly all the dealers within 500 miles of me are selling Type Rs for MSRP. Even if you have to fly to go pick it up, it'll be cheaper than that markup.
It basically comes down to MPG, for me. The 3 that I don’t have, anymore, we’re all rated at 43mpg highway, and at 72, that’s what they all got. Sometimes better. There are a lot of threads inline about the ridiculous gas mileage the 6 speed manual gets. You will see people hypermiling them, that can get a consistent 65mpg or better. And there are plenty on the forums with high mileage. The gray one, for me, was all about me fitting into it. I’m 6’3 and not as skinny as I used to be. I haven’t gotten a chance to sit in a type r, but the sales manager I know is about my size and he said he fits in it fine. It’s all about room for me. It’s my commuter. And as you can see by the pic posted, they last forever, and for a car that uses 87 octane, I challenge anyone to find a gas car that gets better mileage.

And, I wouldn’t touch a Ford with Obama’s d*ck and Trump pushing.

Last edited:

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
B1E60C51-5F62-4094-ACCE-DEE69DA582CF.jpeg

It basically comes down to MPG, for me. The 3 that I don’t have, anymore, we’re all rated at 43mpg highway, and at 72, that’s what they all got. Sometimes better. There are a lot of threads inline about the ridiculous gas mileage the 6 speed manual gets. You will see people hypermiling them, that can get a consistent 65mpg or better. And there are plenty on the forums with high mileage. The gray one, for me, was all about me fitting into it. I’m 6’3 and not as skinny as I used to be. I haven’t gotten a chance to sit in a type r, but the sales manager I know is about my size and he said he fits in it fine. It’s all about room for me. It’s my commuter. And as you can see by the pic posted, they last forever, and for a car that uses 87 octane, I challenge anyone to find a gas car that gets better mileage.

And, I wouldn’t touch a Ford with Obama’s d*ck and Trump pushing.
You're trying to tell me a Cruze got 72mpg? I don't believe it for a second. Not even the diesel gets that.

You'd have to chain yourself to the back of a semi truck to get that.

This is right off Fuelly.com... Where all the hypermilers hang out.
Honda Civic 10th gen What did you almost buy? And why you chose the Civic Capture.PNG

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
It does at 25MPH. :p
Sponsored