What did I mess up?

augustus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch EX Lunar Silver
Country flag
OK, so I have a 2017 HB I bought new, it's got the continental tires, which I feel are horribly noisy. About a month ago, at around 14,000 miles I finally get around to rotating the tires. Because of laziness (let's leave it at that), while rotating my front right (passenger) wheel assembly, no tire, fell to the ground and landed on the two bolts on the knuckle. I might be using the wrong words, bear with me. At any rate, I finally got things sorted out, and the only thing I notice on the test run afterwards was that the tires we even noisier than before, which I assumed was because I took too long before rotating and maybe there was some uneven wear. But I noticed no vibration, which was my main worry from dropping the car.

Fast forward to now, about 1,000 miles later, I'm going 70mph and I feel a slight, very slight, vibration. Is this just a normal wheel balance issue, or did I do damage dropping the car?

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I don't think there is any way to know without having it looked at. However, did you rotate them them front to back, or did you switch sides? Maybe these tires don't like the change in the direction of rotation.

OP
OP
augustus

augustus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
i put the fronts straight back, and the backs swapped as I put them in the front, like:
Honda Civic 10th gen What did I mess up? spare

Since I loathe these tires, I thought about getting new ones and seeing if the issue went away. Likewise, I could have these balanced and see if the issue went away. It's just still in the back of my mind that maybe I messed up something excluding the wheel/tire, and I'm not sure how to investigate that, what to look for.

OP
OP
augustus

augustus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
ok, I will do that. I thought about undoing the entire rotation, are you suggesting the wear is specific to each side and wouldn't be noticeable if it's a wear issue and I put the tires back to their original sides?

Thanks for the help!

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
It could be a general wear issue that could be solved by undoing the entire process, or it could be caused by the fact that the front tires are rotating in the opposite direction.

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
for the noise of the tires its because they are low profile tires, they are prone to pick up way more road noise than tires with taller sidewall

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
Exact same stock tires. I donā€™t have road noise issues.

OP
OP
augustus

augustus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Exact same stock tires. I donā€™t have road noise issues.
Oh, that's interesting, you never had any noise? I had noise right from the start of owning the car, new, and I'm willing to scratch this noise up to me waiting too long before rotation, but the vibration has me concerned.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
Sometimes, when I drive. I drive in silence (audio off). Whether to hear the engine or intake/exhaust or listen for rattle or various loose car noises. Honestly can say tire noise has never been an issue on this car. 12k+ miles...

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
Tires will sound different over different road surfaces. Drive in a different State, and your tires can sound very different. But your car fell off the jack? How hard? Can you show us a picture of the two bolts and ā€˜knuckleā€™ it fell on?

OP
OP
augustus

augustus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Tires will sound different over different road surfaces. Drive in a different State, and your tires can sound very different. But your car fell off the jack? How hard? Can you show us a picture of the two bolts and ā€˜knuckleā€™ it fell on?
yeah, it fell slowly of the jack, my wheels weren't chocked properly, but hit hard enough to put divots in the conrete. I'll try to get a good picture of it.

So, to be clear, I'm not too concerned about the road noise unless it's indicative in this case of other damage. Mainly it's the slight vibration I have at high speeds, which normally I would assume is an unbalanced tire, but in this case I'm worried it's because I messed something up when the car fell.

As soon as I can, I'm going to snap some pics, and swap the front two tires and see what happens.

Thanks!
Sponsored