What color is the primer under our paint?

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
In the past 1.5 months of owning the car I've got 4000 km and 5 rock chips. 3 of them are on metal painted parts - but I've noticed something weird.

2 Chips are on the hood, and one is on a door. All 3 have an orange/yellow hue to them immediately after the chip occurred. Initially I thought this must be surface rust forming - but the hood is aluminum on the R and has the same hue!

Am I loosing it or is the primer orange-ish ?
Sponsored

M16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex
Country flag
I have a chip on the hood and I see the same color. It's not rust because the color or texture hasnt changed in like 2-3 years.
Btw I have a 16 ex 2L

OP
OP
TheCanadian

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
I have a chip on the hood and I see the same color. It's not rust because the color or texture hasnt changed in like 2-3 years.
Btw I have a 16 ex 2L
Thank you for the confirmation!

Iceyankee-Tsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR
Country flag
On newer Honda vehicles from factory, primer as we know it is no longer grayish/black as it typically was. The current "primer" is known as "e-coat". In the past, primer was sprayed as typical paint would. E-coat on the other hand is applied to the car by dipping the whole vehicle(called body-in-white in this stage) in a big bath with this substance. The coating sticks to the body by using electrical current to attract the paint product to the metal surface. Hence, its ensures the whole body is adequately covered. Then it goes to an oven to be cured prior to actual painting. This is why cars do so well against corrosion in these days in comparison to back in the 80's.

And to answer your question, the e-coat substance can have different color pigments. However, the typical color for this substance is like a light brown-cremish color. Which after being passed through the oven becomes somewhat darker brownish.

Hope that helps.

DallasCRX

First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 Honda GL1100 GoldWing Interstate, 1986 Honda CRX Si, 2009 Honda CRF250X, 2009 Aprilia Shiver, 2010 Nissan Frontier, 2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
On newer Honda vehicles from factory, primer as we know it is no longer grayish/black as it typically was. The current "primer" is known as "e-coat". In the past, primer was sprayed as typical paint would. E-coat on the other hand is applied to the car by dipping the whole vehicle(called body-in-white in this stage) in a big bath with this substance. The coating sticks to the body by using electrical current to attract the paint product to the metal surface. Hence, its ensures the whole body is adequately covered. Then it goes to an oven to be cured prior to actual painting. This is why cars do so well against corrosion in these days in comparison to back in the 80's.

And to answer your question, the e-coat substance can have different color pigments. However, the typical color for this substance is like a light brown-cremish color. Which after being passed through the oven becomes somewhat darker brownish.

Hope that helps.
Your info is correct about the E-Coat, which is likely what the OP is referencing for colour, but these cars absolutely still have primer applied between the E-Coat and the Basecoat colour layer (the colour you see). Depending on the plant and paint technology used at the plant, it will be some variant of white to black or a colour-keyed primer that is similar to the basecoat colour used in areas not subjected to UV (engine room, under hood, inside trunk lid, etc).
Sponsored