What Civic model offers the best value to you?

OP
OP

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
The EX-T offers the best value of the lineup.
This is also my answer to this question, although again I realize there are different answers, and no answer is "right." But look what the EX-T offers you for just $1160 more than the EX, which itself, as we've already said, is pretty loaded. I'm also going to give my very subjective thoughts on what each of these features is worth to me....

1.5 Turbo engine is worth at least $900 to me, because it transforms the Civic into a sporty car with some performance. The 0-60 drops from c. 8 seconds to c. 7 seconds.
Accord CVT: $500. Little noticed is that the Turbo also gets the upgraded heavy-duty CVT from the Accord, in order to handle the extra power
17" alloy wheels and upgraded tires: $400
Heated front seats: $300
XM/HD Stereo/fin antenna: $300
Upgraded suspension: $200
Fog lights: $200
Dual-zone climate control: $200
Rear spoiler: $100

So imho the upgrade to EX-T is worth about 3 grand, but costs only a little more than 1/3 of that, making the Turbo the best deal for me. Maybe I'm wrong, but at this point I'm not interested in sensing, because I want to drive the darn car myself....
Sponsored

LennyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic EX Coupe, '04 Mazdaspeed Miata
I am planning to buy a '17 Civic, either a sedan or a hatch just about a year from now, and I'm on the fence between an EX or an EX-T. Both seem like they are loaded with good stuff for the price. I'll just have to see what changes (if any) the new model year brings and how things might differ on the hatch if I go that route. Anyway, I'll drive them both a few times and make my choice. Can't wait.

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
I am planning to buy a '17 Civic, either a sedan or a hatch just about a year from now, and I'm on the fence between an EX or an EX-T. Both seem like they are loaded with good stuff for the price. I'll just have to see what changes (if any) the new model year brings and how things might differ on the hatch if I go that route. Anyway, I'll drive them both a few times and make my choice. Can't wait.
The hatch is not coming in a ex model only ex-t...

billyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
In Canada, if you're getting the base engine, I think the best value is actually the Civic coupe LX-Honda Sensing for $21775, 400$ more than its sedan counterpart except you get aluminium wheels instead of steel. If you don't care for Honda sensing, then it's only $19455. Of course this only applies if you do not have kids like me.
If you want the turbo engine, I would say the sedan EX-T for $25155, however this is almost 4000$ more and almost Accord type of money.
Now I'm trying to decide which of the above I want. hmmmmmmmmm...

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
Honda really messed us up with there trim levels in the US. I really miss the old exl is the top of the line and your done. I been tring to convince myself that the exl is a great deal but if you take a step back and look out the circle its reall not. In NJ pricing is a little like our property tax messed up.

Exl model no nav or HS 22,500.00 dealer will not budge on price.

Touring model 24600-24800

The difference is about 2100-2300. You definitely get 2k worth of stuff in the cAr. Making it the best bang for your buck.

2016 EXT best bang for your buck if you dont want leather but a nicely loaded car.

2016 touring best bang for your buck if you want leather. Exl is kind of a rip off..

burns_erin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX w/Sensing
Country flag
For me the EX/sensing was the better value. I'm in south east Texas so neither leather nor heated seats appealed. Turbo just seemed like more things to break. My husband and I have similar preferences on climate control so dual seemed an unnecessary expense. And I've had power seats precisely once, and the control module went out while it was set for my husband's 6 foot frame, which made driving to the mechanics with my 5'6 frame not exactly a joy, so I'll cling to manual seat controls as long as they make them. And I have Garmins, I much prefer Google Maps since that big round of updates (about a year ago?), and haven't pulled the Garmin out of the drawer since, so I certainly wasn't going to go back to that sort of system.

Plus, the dealer here had a Burgundy Night Pearl that no one wanted (light colored cars are king down here) so the price was knocked down to closer LX level w/sensing.

My husband wanted to move up to leather, but it's my car so pffft on him. I do slightly regret the door arm rests and console cover being fabric, but looking around I'm thinking I may be able to swap those later if I wish.

kalin21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Why no manual on models other than LX? driving an automatic car is kind of boring for me

Harry Da Hamster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Well, anyone who's already purchased is gonna say their own trim is the best value, but it's all relative and depends on your own needs/desires.

I could see people choosing the LX, EX-T or the Touring. IMO, EX and especially the EX-L are lower on the value proposition.

LX: Basic transportation, yet you still get lots of standard features and the majority of the great driving experience is intact.

EX-T: Dat turbo :drive:

Touring: More tech & features than you'd find in $50k cars a few years ago. Plus, the fun of telling people that yes, this is a Civic.

EX: You add a lot of features over the LX - remote start, the 7" head unit + 7" gauge cluster, Lanewatch, moonroof. But if you're thinking about an EX, may as well spend $1k more and get the EX-T.

EX-L: You'll be disappointed you didn't go for the Touring.
Pretty much summarized how i feel about the different trim.

I've never been in the used car market before, so you're probably right - the used market may only care about price, not features.

There's no evidence that the turbo will require more maintenance - this remains to be seen. We all realize we took a bit of a gamble with Honda's first turbo.

And there are a lot more people who want a peppy, reliable, feature-packed, and fun-to-drive car who will appreciate the EX-T > SI/CTR, CVT or not. SI/CTR will be a limited market.
I don't think it's much of a gamble. Honda is the largest engine manufacturer in the world with arguably more turbo experience than most other manufacturers stemming from their F1 programs.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think it's much of a gamble. Honda is the largest engine manufacturer in the world with arguably more turbo experience than most other manufacturers stemming from their F1 programs.
Good point. I was thinking more along the lines of their mainstream applications. Personally, I don't feel it's a gamble but I can see how some may view it that way.
Sponsored