What Civic model offers the best value to you?

Anekin007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I've never been in the used car market before, so you're probably right - the used market may only care about price, not features.

There's no evidence that the turbo will require more maintenance - this remains to be seen. We all realize we took a bit of a gamble with Honda's first turbo.

And there are a lot more people who want a peppy, reliable, feature-packed, and fun-to-drive car who will appreciate the EX-T > SI/CTR, CVT or not. SI/CTR will be a limited market.
I guess you never drove and cvt car and non cvt car. Difference is night and day. I been driving Hondas for 20+ years and the mod scene will never die with Hondas. Younger generations prefer manual over automatic. Cost of repairs for manuals are cheaper than automatic. Turbo cars has more parts, more parts = more cost. Turbos can have anything from a leak from bad pressure or line to bent fins on the turbine. I don't plan to keep my civic forever so resale value is more important than personal value.
Sponsored

Last edited:

benttable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I think the EX-T is the best value for the features it comes with. That being said, I treat the civic like a civic, meaning it's not supposed to be a luxury car or sports car. I went with the EX as I wanted a few more features and better interior looks on the inside than the LX, but didn't want all the features of the turbo models. Plus I have a toddler who in all likelyhood is going to vomit a few times in the car as well as make a mess so there was no point in getting a high end model.

tuck4x4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Burgundy Night Pearl
Country flag
As a new owner of an EX in Burgundy, and also as a 5 year Honda salesman, I think the EX trim level takes the cake for the most useful of the cars. I was honestly considering an LX but the Android Auto, Blindside camera and alloy wheels were the deciding factors for me.

For about $30 a month more, thats a steal.

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
For me I bought the touring because I wanted the Honda sensing and leather. The Led lights are a HUGE plus. They light up the road incredibly. I absolutely love the adaptive cruise control with low speed follow. I use it every day. Even though I bought the touring I don't think it represents the best value. I'm just amazed at how well it rides and how quiet it is. Does not seem like it is a a Civic. The best bang for the buck is the base model lx. You get a great deal of content and a sweet 2.0 liter engine which is best in class. At that price point there is nothing that comes close. Just my 2 cents.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
The pricing model is weird in Canada. It's a near 3k jump from EX-L to Touring in the US, but it's a 2k jump from EX-T to Touring in Canada.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I guess you never drove and cvt car and non cvt car. Difference is night and day. I been driving Hondas for 20+ years and the mod scene will never die with Hondas. Younger generations prefer manual over automatic. Cost of repairs for manuals are cheaper than automatic. Turbo cars has more parts, more parts = more cost. Turbos can have anything from a leak from bad pressure or line to bent fins on the turbine. I don't plan to keep my civic forever so resale value is more important than personal value.
Never said there isn't a performance difference b/w CVT/manual. And no, I didn't drive the LX manual if that's what you're trying to say. You're unclear.

Just because there are more parts doesn't mean the turbo is a ticking time bomb.

oneover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring 2015 Corolla S Plus
For me I am very happy I have the Touring model. In all of my many other car purchases I stayed more conservative and never stepped up the top of the line up. In those prior ownerships I always regretted not getting the top model each time I saw one. Not this time folks, and I love every extra feature. I really like the rims of the Touring, much more traditional 5 spoke design. As one reviewer mentioned in The Touring you get many features of a $40,000 car, many Acura options. I think it's a lot of bang for my buck.

OP
OP

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
The EX auto costs $1600 more than the LX auto, but adds a lot of features. One time-wasting game I play sometimes is add up what all of the features of a trim level would be "worth" subjectively to me. Here goes...

Moonroof: $700
CarPlay/AndroidAuto with 7" touchscreen: $700
Smart entry/pushbutton start: $500
16" Alloy wheels: $400
LaneWatch: $300
Remote start: $300
8-speaker 180-watt stereo: $200
Heated side mirrors: $200
Illuminated vanity mirrors:$100
Rear armrest with cupholders: $100
60/40 split folding rear seat: $100
Extra charging port in center console: $50
Passenger seat back pocket: $50
Variable windshield wipers: $50
Dynamic guidelines for rearview camera: $50

Again, this is very subjective. It's not what these features cost for Honda, it's what they are worth to me. Having a moonroof transforms a car for me on a beautiful day, and even when it's cold you can look up at the sky. AndroidAuto can function as navigation and a lot else. It probably costs a lot less than $200 for Honda to install heating elements in the mirrors, but since my wife gets our one car garage it's worth at least that much for my side mirrors to clear themselves, etc.

Anyway, in my perhaps inflated valuing of the vast range of added features on the EX, which for me transforms an economy car into technology-rich and feature-laden near luxury car, I think this trim is worth well over $3000 more than the LX—making the $1600 cost a total bargain.

MyFirstHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
The EX-T offers the best value of the lineup.

thepixelsedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
The EX-T offers the best value of the lineup.
I agree and that's why I went with the EX-T. However, in Canada all EX-Ts come with Honda sensing as standard equipment so that made it an even better value here. I was originally looking at an EX with Sensing and to get the turbo engine, nicer/bigger rims, leather steering wheel and shift knob and rear spoiler was only another $800... The turbo engine alone is worth that extra $800 for me.

heyyoudvd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX w/ Sensing
The pricing model is weird in Canada. It's a near 3k jump from EX-L to Touring in the US, but it's a 2k jump from EX-T to Touring in Canada.
What's even stranger is the feature breakdown. For example, a Canadian LX has not only has a lot of the features that a US EX has (i.e. the entire audio/infotainment system), but it even has features that the US EX doesn't have, like heated front seats.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What's even stranger is the feature breakdown. For example, a Canadian LX has not only has a lot of the features that a US EX has (i.e. the entire audio/infotainment system), but it even has features that the US EX doesn't have, like heated front seats.
I find the extensive price and trim feature differences a little odd...doesn't it cost Honda more money to do this?

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
I think the EX is the best bang for the buck but went for EX-T for the engine because, Fog Lights, Dual-Zone Automatic Climat, Heated Front Seats and SiriusXM are whatever features i can do with out.

I would love the SI but probably would of stuck with the EXT because the SI will probably priced higher than the EXT with less features

bcfmb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 16
The Touring is the best value. The turbo, headlights, leather, sensing, tech, and system just make it the best bang for your buck. Now if some or none of these features interest you, than it would personally not be worth the extra cost. As the OP said it ultimately comes down to personal choice.

In the end what made me go with the EX-T was not the value compared to the other trim levels, but the value compared to other brands. I think many people may feel this same way. It seems no matter what trim level, if compared to similar cars of other makes, the Civic seems to win out every time.

thepixelsedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
And we don't even have an EX-L model in Canada... Leather only available on Touring
Sponsored