What Civic model offers the best value to you?

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
As is typical with Honda, they've carefully calibrated the price and the equipment level so that each model of the new Civic has a lot of bang for the buck. In other words, this is clearly a subjective question, and there's no right or wrong. But why a particular Civic model is the best value (for you) is still an interesting question. And for those still shopping and considering models (like myself) it also gives more food for thought. In other words, some might be thinking "oh, I didn't know that model had that..." etc. Honda's official site, of course, has almost all of the info about the various models:

http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-sedan/

The Civic LX, starting at just $18,640 for the 6-speed manual, is actually a compelling choice to me, although probably not my favorite. I'm shifting for myself now, and have for almost 35 years of driving, but for my next car I might give it up to get the higher mpg, and just for convenience (and for my wife).

I remember when base "stripper models" used to be really that. Even 15 years ago, iirc, you could get a DX Civic that not only didn't have AC, but didn't even have a stereo. In fact, back then maybe they even had roll up windows? Not sure. But now the base Civc LX has equipment that a base Civic of 2001 could only dream of, such as AC with climate control, cruise, a back-up camera, bluetooth, illuminated steering wheel controls, and a 158 horsepower 2.0 liter engine.

Plus the LX is the last Civic to have a volume knob! I don't think this model would be my top choice, but I am still considering it.

Anyway, which Civic model—LX, EX, EX-T, EXL, or Touring, do you think offers the best value? And why?
Sponsored

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, anyone who's already purchased is gonna say their own trim is the best value, but it's all relative and depends on your own needs/desires.

I could see people choosing the LX, EX-T or the Touring. IMO, EX and especially the EX-L are lower on the value proposition.

LX: Basic transportation, yet you still get lots of standard features and the majority of the great driving experience is intact.

EX-T: Dat turbo :drive:

Touring: More tech & features than you'd find in $50k cars a few years ago. Plus, the fun of telling people that yes, this is a Civic.

EX: You add a lot of features over the LX - remote start, the 7" head unit + 7" gauge cluster, Lanewatch, moonroof. But if you're thinking about an EX, may as well spend $1k more and get the EX-T.

EX-L: You'll be disappointed you didn't go for the Touring.

krav51

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex
Well, anyone who's already purchased is gonna say their own trim is the best value, but it's all relative and depends on your own needs/desires.

I could see people choosing the LX, EX-T or the Touring. IMO, EX and especially the EX-L are lower on the value proposition.

LX: Basic transportation, yet you still get lots of standard features and the majority of the great driving experience is intact.

EX-T: Dat turbo :drive:

Touring: More tech & features than you'd find in $50k cars a few years ago. Plus, the fun of telling people that yes, this is a Civic.

EX: You add a lot of features over the LX - remote start, the 7" head unit + 7" gauge cluster, Lanewatch, moonroof. But if you're thinking about an EX, may as well spend $1k more and get the EX-T.

EX-L: You'll be disappointed you didn't go for the Touring.
I have to disagree ,I have the ex-l and think it's great value if u want leather,but don't care for all the extra tech features that are already giving some here safety related issues.

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.parodyman.com
Vehicle(s)
2002 Honda Accord SE, 2016 Honda Civic EX
For me, it's the EX-T. I don't want the Honda Sensing or the rain-sensing wipers (to me they seem not quite ready for prime time), so the Touring is out. I live in a hot climate (Texas), so I don't want leather seats - so the EX-L is out. I do want the turbo, so the EX-T it is, although my perfect EX-T would include those sweet, sweet LED headlights and maybe a more adjustable driver's seat.

skullan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda LX (6MT), formerly a 2006 Hyundai Accent.
Country flag
Canadian LX for me.

Air Conditioning
Power doors
Power Windows
Trunk Pop
Android Auto
Heated Seats
Manual Transmission

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
I went back and forth for weeks between the exl and touring. I decided that the touring was not worth the extra 3k over the EXL. I really wanted leather because i have two young kids and find that it holds up better. I didnt care for HS, going to use android auto for GPS. I would say the raido and headlights are what I like but not 3k in price. Its not about the money. I could have afforded a touring but could not justify The 3k. A car is a depreciating asset and i already spent enough. Im going to take that 3k and go on a nice family trip. So to me the exl made the most sence and for 22k its a steal.

Last edited:

heyyoudvd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX w/ Sensing
In Canada, the LX is the killer deal.

Feature-wise, it sits closer to an American EX than to an American LX, but it's still much cheaper.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Well, anyone who's already purchased is gonna say their own trim is the best value
Bought a Touring, but best value, i.e., bang-for-the-buck, in '16 Civic Sedan has to be EX-T. Agreed that they worked hard to tempt LX and EX buyers into EX-T and the EX-L is basically just bait to sell Touring unless a buyer has zero interest in Sensing or Nav, or any of the other Touring-unique goodies.

Last edited:

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T, 2000 Honda Insight
Vehicle Showcase
Bought a Touring, but best value, i.e., bang-for-the-buck, in '16 Civic Sedan has to be EX-T. Agreed that they worked hard to tempt LX and EX buyers into EX-T and the EX-L is basically just bait to sell Touring unless a buyer has zero interest in Sensing or Nav, or any of the other Touring-unique goodies.
Agreed. I own an EX-T so I may be slightly biased, but it's hard to look at how many features the EX-T has for the price, and refute the point. Not to mention I'm turning out 44-47mpg on the highway at 70mph.

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Currently in Canada we are enjoying a very positive Honda exchange pricing strategy. This made my bang for the buck decision easy. List price in Canada for the Touring is US$20,753 (Cdn$26,990). At that price it's very hard to say no.

Anekin007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
In the long term of 5 years or more. People who usually buy a used Honda Civic are usually looking for a low maintenance gas saver. LX or EX is probably the best choice for a used gas saver. With the higher models having a turbo it will require more cost maintenance down the road. With 2017 models having a manual and up coming SI and type R, the 2016 Civic EXT and above with automatic will become the least favorite among people who want a sportier fun to drive ride. Riding in cvt automatic is just really boring compared to a manual.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In the long term of 5 years or more. People who usually buy a used Honda Civic are usually looking for a low maintenance gas saver. LX or EX is probably the best choice for a used gas saver. With the higher models having a turbo it will require more cost maintenance down the road. With 2017 models having a manual and up coming SI and type R, the 2016 Civic EXT and above with automatic will become the least favorite among people who want a sportier fun to drive ride. Riding in cvt automatic is just really boring compared to a manual.
I've never been in the used car market before, so you're probably right - the used market may only care about price, not features.

There's no evidence that the turbo will require more maintenance - this remains to be seen. We all realize we took a bit of a gamble with Honda's first turbo.

And there are a lot more people who want a peppy, reliable, feature-packed, and fun-to-drive car who will appreciate the EX-T > SI/CTR, CVT or not. SI/CTR will be a limited market.

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
the used market may only care about price, not features.
True, though most buyers also want certain features. Years from now the features the top trims have will become standard on newer cars. I find that trim does make a difference in selling price of used cars, but not so much that you should pay for it now. Buy the features you want now, not what someone else may want later.

GoPackGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Energy Green Coupe
I buy a car for right now and don't think about possible resale price down the road. I bought a touring coupe. It's all very subjective of course but I love leather seats, LED headlights, and all of the Sensing features.

evildoer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6-speed MSM
Usdm LX is all I need. I'm an oldschool Honda guy that doesn't need all the fancy gadgets.
Sponsored