What car were you cross shopping your Si with?

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Not sure what published sources you're going off of. You can harp on this fallacious point of yours all you want, but it doesn't make it so. There are many members here that have actually owned both cars. All can attest to the significant difference in off-track driving. And considering that you seem to make a pattern of attempting to announce how "close" the SI is to the R in every thread possible (including my unrelated SI part out thread, apparently), it's clear that you just want to spread misinformation.
No misinformation it’s a fact the Type R 1/4 mile is 14 seconds all day, every day, and the Si is 15 seconds, these are hard facts, look it up. 14 seconds is fukin slow, please don’t argue that. As far as roll on, these beep beep compares aren’t showing me alot, and not this huge difference you talk about. And like I said all the people that spent an extra $20K to move up to a Type R from an Si of course they’re gonna say the Type R is so much better, they would look like idiots if they said otherwise.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MoaRPowah

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
How much time do people with type R’s actually go to tracks? And a parking lot with cones isn’t a track. And of course guys that have come out of pocket 60-70% more money for a Type R over an Si are gonna say it’s so much faster, that’s human nature, but on the street it just ain’t so according to what’s published out there.
I can see where you're coming from. However, I have driven a Type R (not aggressively, just normal around town driving) and I have recently tuned my Si with TSP stage 1.

I can say that even with a tune, a stock Type R felt quicker. Don't know by how much, but it just delivers power in a different way on all gears. It's not a GTR by any means, but there is definitely a difference, even more if it is stock to stock.

There's always the if the Si got a tune it would be much closer argument. That's true, but what if the Type R also got a tune?

I guess the question is if the the extra $15k can justify the performance difference on the streets. I'm sure on the track it does, but like you said, how many Type R owners actually track their car.

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I can see where you're coming from. However, I have driven a Type R (not aggressively, just normal around town driving) and I have recently tuned my Si with TSP stage 1.

I can say that even with a tune, a stock Type R felt quicker. Don't know by how much, but it just delivers power in a different way on all gears. It's not a GTR by any means, but there is definitely a difference, even more if it is stock to stock.

There's always the if the Si got a tune it would be much closer argument. That's true, but what if the Type R also got a tune?

I guess the question is if the the extra $15k can justify the performance difference on the streets. I'm sure on the track it does, but like you said, how many Type R owners actually track their car.
Definitely on the track the Type R is faster, but my guess is maybe 5% of the guys with Type Rs will ever see an actual track. Where most people will ever flex their cars muscles is on the street, red light, highway, etc. The Type R isn’t street fast, and for me the xtra $15-$20K over an Si for a car that does 14 second quarter miles just isn’t worth the money.

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
GTI and WRX

But both ended up being way over my price range while the Si had all of the nifty features without the premium price tag.

Also was looking into the Civic Hatchback.

OP
OP
MoaRPowah

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Definitely on the track the Type R is faster, but my guess is maybe 5% of the guys with Type Rs will ever see an actual track. Where most people will ever flex their cars muscles is on the street, red light, highway, etc. The Type R isn’t street fast, and for me the xtra $15-$20K over an Si for a car that does 14 second quarter miles just isn’t worth the money.
I remember when I had my NSX. My buddies would always make fun of me and say that a mustang would smoke me and that the NSX is slow and outdated.

Perhaps it's true. But I tell them that at the end of the day, they're parking a mustang in their garage and I'm parking an NSX in mine lol.

I guess just the fact that it's a Type R is all the flexing you need.

OP
OP
MoaRPowah

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
GTI and WRX

But both ended up being way over my price range while the Si had all of the nifty features without the premium price tag.

Also was looking into the Civic Hatchback.
That's the Si's claim to fame and always has been. It's an affordable fun to drive car. And this 10th gen really really drives that point home with bang for the buck.

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
Aren't you supposed to tune the Type R as well?

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I remember when I had my NSX. My buddies would always make fun of me and say that a mustang would smoke me and that the NSX is slow and outdated.

Perhaps it's true. But I tell them that at the end of the day, they're parking a mustang in their garage and I'm parking an NSX in mine lol.

I guess just the fact that it's a Type R is all the flexing you need.
Parking a car in a garage?

djgLXXII

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Country flag
Well im coming from a 2015 wrx-
Currently I own a Fiesta ST. I love the little car and it's incredibly fun to drive, but I could use something a bit larger. So, for me, I'm cross-shopping the Civic Si, WRX, and Veloster N (trying to keep it under $30K).

Things I love about the Fiesta ST is 1) fun to drive and 2) amazing fuel mileage (I average around 36MPG). So, to me, it seems like the Civic Si is the more comparable upgrade if I want to keep a similar MPG. I believe both the WRX and Veloster N will be in the mid 20s at best.

My question is, how fun is the Si to drive? I will most likely and probably immediately get the TSP stage 1 tune. How quick does the TSP tune make the Si? I see the whp and tq numbers, but I'm curious what this equates to for 0-60 and 1/4 mile times (not that I will ever race it, but useful information for comparisons).

Lastly, was there something about the WRX you didn't like that prompted you to get rid of it? My only other hesitation with the WRX is that, at this point, it's a bit on the old side and is due for an overhaul in the next couple years, right?

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150, 2018 VW Atlas
Country flag
I'm on the fence between the Accord 2.0T and the SI. Which ever one I get it will be my weekend fun car. Being that you had both in your running did the Accord feel super big and boat like compare to the SI?
It felt bigger but didn't feel huge. I really like it but it just came down to price and mpg because of my long commute. It is a great car, not sure what the aftermarket has done for it yet but it could be REALLY fun with some tuning.

stingray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX-P Coupe, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
I love love love my Si and couldn't be happier with it. It's indeed the perfect daily driver and commuter.

Just wanted to know if you guys test drove any other cars before buying your Si.

I looked at low mileage 9th gen Si's, Volkswagen GTI and Elantra Sport. Didn't get to test drive Elantra Sport, but read very good reviews about it.

All in all, I chose the Si because I'm a Honda guy and the Si has terrific gas mileage to fun factor. Not to mention all the goodies that we get standard.
Mustang ragtop

liljay2008

First Name
Jide
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI
Country flag
I love love love my Si and couldn't be happier with it. It's indeed the perfect daily driver and commuter.

Just wanted to know if you guys test drove any other cars before buying your Si.

I looked at low mileage 9th gen Si's, Volkswagen GTI and Elantra Sport. Didn't get to test drive Elantra Sport, but read very good reviews about it.

All in all, I chose the Si because I'm a Honda guy and the Si has terrific gas mileage to fun factor. Not to mention all the goodies that we get standard.
Ded as wanted a Subaru so bad but I knew I could not afford it and mod at the same time so I settled for the SI.... 3 yrs and still going. And I’m Lowkey thinking about how much cup ramen I gotta eat to get an STI lmao

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
I crossed the Lamborghini Urus, Tesla Model S, Aston Martin D11, Mitsubishi Mirage, Bentley Continental GT, Audi S8...

The Si blew all those out the water! In the HP to dollar ratio.

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
Actually I just shopped the GTI/WRX got to drive all the GTIs and I had a 2017 until it’s untimely demise,

However, I couldn’t drive the WRX they think it’s a Maserati Ghibli Granlusso!

The GTI was defiantly the quickest and sporty stock...however they wouldn’t budge on the price and wanted over 400 dollars per month to lease with no money down.

Civic Si 310 per month no money down 12k per year. So I couldn’t pass up.

OP
OP
MoaRPowah

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Actually I just shopped the GTI/WRX got to drive all the GTIs and I had a 2017 until it’s untimely demise,

However, I couldn’t drive the WRX they think it’s a Maserati Ghibli Granlusso!

The GTI was defiantly the quickest and sporty stock...however they wouldn’t budge on the price and wanted over 400 dollars per month to lease with no money down.

Civic Si 310 per month no money down 12k per year. So I couldn’t pass up.
It seems as though the WRX and GTI are the cars that other people consider along with the Si. That means that the Si is in good company to be considered among 2 other great sport compacts.

Glad you chose the Si considering you got a good deal on one.
Sponsored