What can happen if you use the wrong spark plug?

JDMpo0kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Soooooooo I was talking to a guy who said the only place you can really get an OEM Honda spark plug for the Si is the dealership. I had got my NGK spark plugs from Oreillys. They said it’s the OEM ones. Turns out it’s not the same part number on the plug.. now I’m not too sure of that was why my motor blew or if my engine had just been beat on for so long but.. my first pull with those plugs and I threw a rod. I think those plugs are for the ex-t. Pretty much everyone knows more than I do about car mechanics and tuning. Could that be the biggest reason it blew? Or at least a huge contributing factor?
Sponsored

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Should've used Rutheniums ;)

I think the only real difference between the standard civic turbo plug and the Si is the gap.

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Soooooooo I was talking to a guy who said the only place you can really get an OEM Honda spark plug for the Si is the dealership. I had got my NGK spark plugs from Oreillys. They said it’s the OEM ones. Turns out it’s not the same part number on the plug.. now I’m not too sure of that was why my motor blew or if my engine had just been beat on for so long but.. my first pull with those plugs and I threw a rod. I think those plugs are for the ex-t. Pretty much everyone knows more than I do about car mechanics and tuning. Could that be the biggest reason it blew? Or at least a huge contributing factor?

I have to give you credit for just going with the wind and having faith yet still pushing the car so hard haha what a god

Spiff44

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
Worst case scenario is that it'll have a different depth and seat into your cylinder too far and the piston makes contact. That could explain a bent rod. If this was true it would be pretty obvious by inspecting the plug.. the end would be all smashed.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
You can probably find the correct spark plug on Amazon. Many dealers sell OEM parts cheaper. I bought OEM spark plugs for both my Toyota Camry and my Sienna, and they came from a Toyota dealership, had the same part number as the dealership. I just bought a set of wheel locks for my Lexus...same part number sold from the Lexus dealership but half price. You can add your car to Amazon garage and it will tell you if the part works with your car or not.

Parts I bought for my Si on Amazon:
Acuity Shift Rocker upgrade- sold by Acuity but shipped by Amazon Prime
Acuity Carbon fiber shift knob- sold by Acuity but shipped by Amazon Prime
Honda OEM oil filters part number 154400-PLM-A02- sold from a Honda dealership but shipped by Amazon Prime
K&N drop air filter- Sold by K&N but shipped by Amazon Prime

Last edited:

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
A slightly different plug wouldn't have caused you to throw a rod.

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
What mods have you done to your engine.......that would be more of a reason why it blew.

OP
OP
JDMpo0kie

JDMpo0kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Worst case scenario is that it'll have a different depth and seat into your cylinder too far and the piston makes contact. That could explain a bent rod. If this was true it would be pretty obvious by inspecting the plug.. the end would be all smashed.
Hmmm okay I’ll look at all the plugs. I only took one out to look at the number on it.
Sponsored