What brand oil do you use (in europe) ?

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As I mentioned in another thread. Another Honda stealership used 0W-40 on my car lol

But as I understand it, the older Civics in Europe like mine (2016 and 2017 model year) don't have gasoline particulate filter and with them you should use ACEA A3 / B3 and ACEA A5 / B5 oil.

The models from 2018, which then got a gasoline particulate filter built in, should use ACEA C2.
Sponsored

Flyingraptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5T M/T Sport Plus, Honda CR-Z M/T
Country flag
I still have 2 years of (free) maintenance by the garage (general garage, no Honda dealer) where I bought my Civic. But I used to do oil changes myself on my CR-Z (which has an earlier version of the L15 engine). The owners manual of the CR-Z also recommended Honda's 0w20, but 0w30 and 5w30 were also allowed.

I opted for 0w30 because it is more readily available than 0w20 (and cheaper), as well as closer to 0w20 than 5w30 in "profile".

The A3/B3, C3 or A5/B5 specifications for the CR-Z were very variable when checking owner manuals of USA vs. European CR-Z's. I opted for A5/B5, since that was recommended in my manual.

I was planning to go for the same strategy for the Civic when I would start to do my own oil changes, i.e. 0w30 oil with A5/B5 specification. Downside is that it is a bit more difficult to find than A3/B3 or C3.

I used Castrol Egde 0w30 A5/B5 for several years on my CR-Z and for the last couple of oil changes I switched to Shell Helix 0w30 A5/B5, since it was consistently cheaper than Castrol.

For Belgian/Dutch forum members: "deolieconcurrent.nl" is where I usually bought my oil. In my experience always cheaper than local stores or other websites.

NB, I noticed that the garage used 5w30 in my Civic. Before going for the next maintenance, I will tell them to use 0w30 instead.

OP
OP
Hondanickx

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I still have 2 years of (free) maintenance by the garage (general garage, no Honda dealer) where I bought my Civic. But I used to do oil changes myself on my CR-Z (which has an earlier version of the L15 engine). The owners manual of the CR-Z also recommended Honda's 0w20, but 0w30 and 5w30 were also allowed.

I opted for 0w30 because it is more readily available than 0w20 (and cheaper), as well as closer to 0w20 than 5w30 in "profile".

The A3/B3, C3 or A5/B5 specifications for the CR-Z were very variable when checking owner manuals of USA vs. European CR-Z's. I opted for A5/B5, since that was recommended in my manual.

I was planning to go for the same strategy for the Civic when I would start to do my own oil changes, i.e. 0w30 oil with A5/B5 specification. Downside is that it is a bit more difficult to find than A3/B3 or C3.

I used Castrol Egde 0w30 A5/B5 for several years on my CR-Z and for the last couple of oil changes I switched to Shell Helix 0w30 A5/B5, since it was consistently cheaper than Castrol.

For Belgian/Dutch forum members: "deolieconcurrent.nl" is where I usually bought my oil. In my experience always cheaper than local stores or other websites.

NB, I noticed that the garage used 5w30 in my Civic. Before going for the next maintenance, I will tell them to use 0w30 instead.
I've searched a lot of oils 0w20 0w30 with the A5/B5 specs but the only one with the right specs and high quality was the mobil 1 ESP LV 0w30 .
I buy them from a german site Mein-motorölshop.de which is much cheaper then all the rest even with shipping cost.(Also cheaper then deolieconcurent) 13.50euro vs 9euro/L
At least the mobil 1 oil is cheaper there.
Mobil one is also one of the best oils around.I compared them with Castrol and other top brands. Mobil one has the best quality imo.
Sponsored

Last edited: