First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks like a good place for a poll, unless it's already been done. (Didn't search it.)
Sponsored

tk_chatt

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Touring
Country flag
Somewhat related question - i'm planning on doing my next scheduled oil change since I'm home and bored. Is it best to use the Honda OEM filter? If so, where do you suggest buying them? If not, what other brands do you use for the filter? Thanks!
I usually just go to the stealership for my filters. They typically have the filter available with a new crush washer taped on.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Mobile 1 and filter since day 1. Switched to OEM honda filters. About to try Pennzoil on my next oil change.
Yes very true switch to OEM filters a lot of top brand oil manufacturers are good synthetic oil ( I’ve been using synthetic for over 20 years mobile one ) your usually safe with the top brands
Mobil one pennzoil Castrol ect it a personal preference IMO
it’s the filter that’s the most importance a lot of aftermarket filter are paper your looking for the all metal ( bypass spring and all)
pick a good oil but always pick a better filter which is usually a OEM
honda A1 filter

tk_chatt

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Touring
Country flag
Yes very true switch to OEM filters a lot of top brand oil manufacturers are good synthetic oil ( I’ve been using synthetic for over 20 years mobile one ) your usually safe with the top brands
Mobil one pennzoil Castrol ect it a personal preference IMO
it’s the filter that’s the most importance a lot of aftermarket filter are paper your looking for the all metal ( bypass spring and all)
pick a good oil but always pick a better filter which is usually a OEM
honda A1 filter

Do a search for Honda 15400-PLM-A01 vs A02 filters.

There's a debate over the A01 & A02 filters. Although Honda says they are equivalent, many internet sources lean toward the A01 filters.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Do a search for Honda 15400-PLM-A01 vs A02 filters.

There's a debate over the A01 & A02 filters. Although Honda says they are equivalent, many internet sources lean toward the A01 filters.
I usually stick with A01 filter

S60doc

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic HB Sport
Country flag
I know that every dealership has different deal with brands. But dealerships also using full synthetic right? I was planning to bring my own oil to dealership but I don't wanna look like obsessive on their eyes. I mean It's like, when you bring your own part to mechanic I feel like they won't do a good job.

CPA1989

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can’t go wrong with most major oils (Mobil, Pennzoil, Valvoline, etc.). Personally use Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-20 with OEM filter. Be aware that the A01 filters have been discontinued and are difficult to get. Lots of fake A01s for sale on the inter webs.

OP
OP
Hydrolic11

Hydrolic11

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX 1.5T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know that every dealership has different deal with brands. But dealerships also using full synthetic right? I was planning to bring my own oil to dealership but I don't wanna look like obsessive on their eyes. I mean It's like, when you bring your own part to mechanic I feel like they won't do a good job.
i hear ya, but at the end of the day, you’re the customer. I have a good trusted mechanic that has no problems that I bring my own oil for my oil change.

I think where it may get dicey is bringing your own parts because they can’t necessarily guarantee their work, or the part itself. And they also want to avoid customers buying the wrong part(s)

S60doc

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic HB Sport
Country flag
i hear ya, but at the end of the day, you’re the customer. I have a good trusted mechanic that has no problems that I bring my own oil for my oil change.

I think where it may get dicey is bringing your own parts because they can’t necessarily guarantee their work, or the part itself. And they also want to avoid customers buying the wrong part(s)
Another point that I wanna do oil change in dealership, it'll appear on Carfax. I mean when I'll try to sell my car buyer will check carfax. Service reports are important for me. I have mechanic if i bring my own oil he charge me $20 only. But he doesn't put on system. I mean I've been living in USA since 2017. I'm not really sure how important service records or carfax. But if I were the buyer I would ask for service reports. Or maybe I can go valvoline oil change with my own oil they also add report to system.
I used to have scion TC 2007, that car has oil consumption issue, piston rings design was faulty. But as long as i keep an eye on oil level it was okay. I searched a lot before buying my 2018 civic hb, I didn't see any issue about oil dilution. Then i found this forum people talking about it. I told myself damn agaainn faulty(or problematic) engine. That's why I'm kinda worried about oil brand that dealerships use. I never wait %20-30 for oil life. When i see %40 i change my oil. But point is I don't trust that maintenance reminder either.

I'm sorry i wrote a lot.
summary is I'm planning to keep my car long time. I bought honda because reliability. I hope It'll be with me for a long time :) after that when I decide to sell my car I wanna show that i took care of it, that's why service records kinda important for me.
I'll try to bring my own oil to dealership next time. Let's see.

Btw Toyota's 2.4 if I'm not mistaken 2azfe engines has oil consumption issue. I tried mobile 1, valvoline, non branded oils, all weren't successful. I mean there is no solution for that issue except replacing piston rings. But I ended up with Castrol high mileage oil, that was real good. i used to add 1 qt oil every 700 miles with any other brands. But it was 1300-1500 miles with Castrol. For me Castrol is better than Mobil 1 or valvoline. It's just my opinion. It might be different for Hondas.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Another point that I wanna do oil change in dealership, it'll appear on Carfax. I mean when I'll try to sell my car buyer will check carfax. Service reports are important for me. I have mechanic if i bring my own oil he charge me $20 only. But he doesn't put on system. I mean I've been living in USA since 2017. I'm not really sure how important service records or carfax. But if I were the buyer I would ask for service reports. Or maybe I can go valvoline oil change with my own oil they also add report to system.
I used to have scion TC 2007, that car has oil consumption issue, piston rings design was faulty. But as long as i keep an eye on oil level it was okay. I searched a lot before buying my 2018 civic hb, I didn't see any issue about oil dilution. Then i found this forum people talking about it. I told myself damn agaainn faulty(or problematic) engine. That's why I'm kinda worried about oil brand that dealerships use. I never wait %20-30 for oil life. When i see %40 i change my oil. But point is I don't trust that maintenance reminder either.

I'm sorry i wrote a lot.
summary is I'm planning to keep my car long time. I bought honda because reliability. I hope It'll be with me for a long time :) after that when I decide to sell my car I wanna show that i took care of it, that's why service records kinda important for me.
I'll try to bring my own oil to dealership next time. Let's see.

Btw Toyota's 2.4 if I'm not mistaken 2azfe engines has oil consumption issue. I tried mobile 1, valvoline, non branded oils, all weren't successful. I mean there is no solution for that issue except replacing piston rings. But I ended up with Castrol high mileage oil, that was real good. i used to add 1 qt oil every 700 miles with any other brands. But it was 1300-1500 miles with Castrol. For me Castrol is better than Mobil 1 or valvoline. It's just my opinion. It might be different for Hondas.
Just like with your Toyota 2.4L you had to watch your oil level to not go too low, with the civic 1.5T you need to watch it to not let it go too high.

I would just ask the service advisor very casually if they mind you bringing your own oil. If he turns his eyes and shows a slightest lack of enthusiasm for the idea, I wouldn't go there.

As for Carfax service records, I don't care about them and change my oil myself. It is possible to record your own oil changes on myCarfax, but I don't bother with that. Each of my cars always had a notebook where I record everything that's done to the car. This should do for a private sale; for a trade-in it doesn't really matter anyway.

Time4boost

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic coupe ex-t
Country flag
I’ve been using Amazon oil with Honda filter and seems to be working pretty good.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I’ve been using Amazon oil with Honda filter and seems to be working pretty good.
How do you know? Have you done an oil analysis? I ask because people say "this stuff is great" just because their low mileage motors haven't blown yet and that's not real evidence at all.

Jimmyson27

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sedan 2019 Sprot
Country flag
I have not same engine than you, I use Penzol Platinum always on sale at less than $26US for 5 quarts at my local store.
IMO any good brand will do the job. Most important change oil moire often the less.
How often do you recommend changing?

CPA1989

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can’t hurt by following the MM but I know a lot of people like to change at 5,000 mile intervals depending on their comfort level, type of oil used (synthetic, blend, or conventional), environmental conditions, and how hard they push the engine.

In my opinion, do what makes you comfortable, but personally I would not exceed the MM recommended change interval. I live in Southern California and deal with LA traffic a lot (at least before quarantine), so personally, I play it safe and change at 5,000 miles.
Sponsored