What brand engine oil do you use?

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
When I bought my Si I got a year+ worth of coupons for services and free oil changes. I'll be using Honda Oil (I assume that's what they use at the dealership). I assume if I chose to bring my own oil and ask them to put that in, they would tell me it would void my warranty. Maybe not, I've just had bad experiences with warranties and dealerships finding any loophole to get out of them.

Even if I didn't have the coupons for free oil changes, I would probably still take it to the dealer and let them put their oil in. IMO unless it has heavy modifications to the engine/turbo, you probably don't need anything fancy or expensive.
Most dealers do not use Honda-branded oil. Instead, they use the least expensive bulk oil than can get from a local supplier that meets the minimum specifications. You are not required to use Honda-branded oil. You can use any brand of 0W-20 API-certified detergent oil you choose as long as it is changed according to the Maintenance Minder without affecting your warranty. Whether or not the dealer will allow you to bring your own oil is up to them, but it doesn't make a difference to Honda. Any dealer will gladly use quarts of Honda-branded oil, but be prepared to pay extra for that.

Personally, I use only Honda-branded oil in my Hondas. Just the Honda oil is about the same price as the whole bulk oil change at a dealer, but I'd rather do it myself and know it's done right and without damage to my vehicle.
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I take my oil to the dealer and let them do. For me, it's a good way to keep an open line of communication with the service dept should an issue arise. And I'm simply too busy with family/work/personal life to save the $20 to do myself.

The dealership usually assigns newer techs to the oil change & inspection rotation. So it's important that you know and trust who is managing the service bay. Several members have come back with missing oil caps or drain bolts. YMMV.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I take my oil to the dealer and let them do. For me, it's a good way to keep an open line of communication with the service dept should an issue arise. And I'm simply too busy with family/work/personal life to save the $20 to do myself.

The dealership usually assigns newer techs to the oil change & inspection rotation. So it's important that you know and trust who is managing the service bay. Several members have come back with missing oil caps or drain bolts. YMMV.
My closest dealer has some 36 service bays with glass walls separating the waiting area and shop, so you can keep an eye on the mechanics. However, they were clever enough to locate the detail-oriented, seasoned techs up front so you can see watch them perform complex, impressive repairs. The minimum-wage hands that do oil changes are tire repairs are located in the rearmost bays that you need binoculars to see. :rolleyes:

dblotii

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si
what brand engine oil filter do you recommend?
The most importnat thing to look for in choosing an oil filter is how well it does in a standardized test in removing / trapping the smallest particles. You want a filter that publishes its score in a 20 micron test.. like: "ISO 4548-12 at 20 microns" This is why I gnerally stick with Bosch or PureOne. The best Fram's also do well in this regard.

Dave

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
mobil1, but honestly it really doesnt make any difference as long as its synthetic. i used supertech oil in my 8th gen si for years without any issues.

as long as it has the seal on it its fine. ppl overanalyze what oils to use way to much.

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did my first change w Penzoil Platinum and I swear the engine seems louder and my gas mileage has decreased by about 2 mpg. Used to use Mobil 1 most of the time but found in my Honda’s that burned oil (8th gen Si and 08 accord) that Mobil disappeared the quickest. Not sure what I will go with next time.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
mobil1, but honestly it really doesnt make any difference as long as its synthetic. i used supertech oil in my 8th gen si for years without any issues.

as long as it has the seal on it its fine. ppl overanalyze what oils to use way to much.
You're aware that Mobil 1 isn't fully synthetic right? It's a group 3.

I'm not saying Mobil 1 is bad, but there is a reason why people over-analyze oils. If you're planning to sell your car after ~5 years, then it really doesn't matter much. But if you're planning to keep your car for 15+ years, you better be considering what you're lubricating your crankcase with. My dad has a 2003 Jeep Liberty with 370,000 miles on the original motor. Compression numbers are still same as stock and the motor purs like a kitten. I'm hoping to see 300,000 out of my Civic too.

10Gensi

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
You're aware that Mobil 1 isn't fully synthetic right? It's a group 3.

I'm not saying Mobil 1 is bad, but there is a reason why people over-analyze oils. If you're planning to sell your car after ~5 years, then it really doesn't matter much. But if you're planning to keep your car for 15+ years, you better be considering what you're lubricating your crankcase with. My dad has a 2003 Jeep Liberty with 370,000 miles on the original motor. Compression numbers are still same as stock and the motor purs like a kitten. I'm hoping to see 300,000 out of my Civic too.
What oil has he used on the Jeep and what oil will you be using?

3925blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si sedan
Country flag
I use Torco group 4/5 blend in a 5w30 weight. First time I've ever heard an engine be quieter after an oil change, but who knows. Whatever give you piece of mind.

Last edited:

Hoang_Honda

First Name
Hoang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Accord V6 Touring. 17 Civic Si Coupe.
Country flag
Free oil change at my dealer for 2 years when I bought my car there. No idea what oil they put in my car but I change the oil about every 5k miles.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What oil has he used on the Jeep and what oil will you be using?
I've been running AMSOIL SS 0w20 in my car for the last 30,000 miles. I've been taking analysis of my AMSOIL as well and it's holding up to 10,000 mile changes beautifully.

My dad has been running the AMSOIL OE 5w30.

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag
I bought 4qts of Honda synthetic oil and a filter for under $30. Good enough for Honda for 10k miles is good enough for me, especially before SCCA autocross Nationals next month

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bought 4qts of Honda synthetic oil and a filter for under $30. Good enough for Honda for 10k miles is good enough for me, especially before SCCA autocross Nationals next month
You may want to look at some of the oil analysis reports. My report on the Honda oil at 10k showed a pretty big drop in viscosity and I drive super soft (42-44mpg average). Based on all the analysis we've compiled, I would never run Honda's oil to 10k.

HatchorNada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic Hatch
You may want to look at some of the oil analysis reports. My report on the Honda oil at 10k showed a pretty big drop in viscosity and I drive super soft (42-44mpg average). Based on all the analysis we've compiled, I would never run Honda's oil to 10k.
I looked up the Oil Analysis' for the Idemitsu oil from AAP clearance last year and on a MAzda 3 with a stick shift, the oil was spent meaning the viscosity dropped hard at 3k-ish. Ironically, the Honda MMS says change to 4k-ish. Here is your loophole to changing it out at 3k when the Honda system tells you 4-4.5-ish but this is for the squeamish.
Sponsored