What brand engine oil do you use?

dblotii

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si
To be honest, readings have been all over the place from various folks. It's definitely worse in colder climates (like Michigan).
Fuel dilution of the oil is highest in a cold engine (including cold-start) and also highest at idle conditions. An idling engine will never get the oil warm enough to drive off fuel and water vapor.
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd think another factor... engines generally have lower compression when cold... and the pistons/rings do not seal as well. Maybe still decent... but it is lower. Might not make a difference with MPFI, but DI? It couldn't help.

ibgm101

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sense 2.0
Country flag
My Honda dealer uses Mobil 1 It's printed right on the receipt.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
What"s the price on that? I've always ran Mobile one with stock oil filters and pan washers. Wouldn't be opposed to trying the Honda oil.
The last case I bought in January was $99.15 including shipping, so $8.26/quart. It's $8.92/quart at my local dealer.

luispe7

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I use Mobile 1 full synthetic.

FWIW - The company I work for has a construction department and we have a contract w/ Northern Oil. I was using the lift after work (changing my own oil), and our 'oil' guy was there refilling our drums. I asked him what he uses in his personal vehicle, he told me Mobile 1. He said their 'Lab" guys say most "full synthetic" is pretty much the same, but the industry leader is Mobile 1 and everyone is chasing them.

I have no way of knowing if this is true, I never went on to research the topic. It just stuck w/ me for some reason. It's on sale now and then @ Walmart. I normally buy 2 or 3 of the 5 quart jugs when it is. The stuff doesn't go bad.
what brand engine oil filter do you recommend?

3925blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si sedan
Country flag
I just did my first change to non-OE oil this weekend. My first change was at 10%, at the dealer [free :)] at about 6,800 miles. My second change, I did myself at 5%, which was about 13,000 miles.

I decided on Torco SR-5r 5w30. I live in warm climate.

chaosnyx

Honeycomb
First Name
chaosnyx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Anybody used semi-synthetic oil? What’s the different between that and full synthetic? Also if I want maximum protection is 5w30 the best?

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My Honda dealer also uses Mobil one and i have been using it for years.Also from older honda forums they said Mobil one is one of the best out there.So i stick with Mobil one.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

luispe7

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
what part # is the oil filter?
All Honda models have used the same filter for years. The last exception I can think of right off hand is the S2000 that was discontinued in 2009.

15400-PLM-A01 (better, preferred)
15400-PLM-A02 (alternate)

Last edited:

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I just added a Mobil 1 analysis to the database. Results look good after a 7800mi interval. We don't have a lot of data on Mobil 1 yet, but the viscosity looks good on Design's report.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/oil-analysis-database.21607/#post-364703
It's important to note that this is the AFE formula which reportedly runs a little thinner than other variants. I might be hesitant running this on a modded powertrain. But seems very well matched for stock IMHO.

I picked up a few 5 qt bottles for $22.50 each while Wal-Mart was having a sale.

coleman17

When I bought my Si I got a year+ worth of coupons for services and free oil changes. I'll be using Honda Oil (I assume that's what they use at the dealership). I assume if I chose to bring my own oil and ask them to put that in, they would tell me it would void my warranty. Maybe not, I've just had bad experiences with warranties and dealerships finding any loophole to get out of them.

Even if I didn't have the coupons for free oil changes, I would probably still take it to the dealer and let them put their oil in. IMO unless it has heavy modifications to the engine/turbo, you probably don't need anything fancy or expensive.
Sponsored