First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am still a few thousand miles away from needing to change oil for the first time in my 17 Si, but I am curious what brand of oil y'all use and why. I have used Castrol GTX for years now, but this is my first new car and I want to use nothing but the best!
Sponsored

ChinStrap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
I use Mobile 1 full synthetic.

FWIW - The company I work for has a construction department and we have a contract w/ Northern Oil. I was using the lift after work (changing my own oil), and our 'oil' guy was there refilling our drums. I asked him what he uses in his personal vehicle, he told me Mobile 1. He said their 'Lab" guys say most "full synthetic" is pretty much the same, but the industry leader is Mobile 1 and everyone is chasing them.

I have no way of knowing if this is true, I never went on to research the topic. It just stuck w/ me for some reason. It's on sale now and then @ Walmart. I normally buy 2 or 3 of the 5 quart jugs when it is. The stuff doesn't go bad.

Nickog909

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si and 2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
I use Mobile 1 full synthetic.

FWIW - The company I work for has a construction department and we have a contract w/ Northern Oil. I was using the lift after work (changing my own oil), and our 'oil' guy was there refilling our drums. I asked him what he uses in his personal vehicle, he told me Mobile 1. He said their 'Lab" guys say most "full synthetic" is pretty much the same, but the industry leader is Mobile 1 and everyone is chasing them.

I have no way of knowing if this is true, I never went on to research the topic. It just stuck w/ me for some reason. It's on sale now and then @ Walmart. I normally buy 2 or 3 of the 5 quart jugs when it is. The stuff doesn't go bad.
I am still a few thousand miles away from needing to change oil for the first time in my 17 Si, but I am curious what brand of oil y'all use and why. I have used Castrol GTX for years now, but this is my first new car and I want to use nothing but the best!

Mobile One that’s what Mercedes-Benz puts in all the AMG vehicles and Nissan Puts in the GTR at there dealerships

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si, BMW 540i, Chevy Spark EV, Civic LX
Castrol Syntec. I've been using it in my bimmer for years. The engine has over 200k miles and still purrs like a kitten.

PMMonly4HATCH

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald Frump
Threads
Reaction score
Only bad people (Not Cars) come to America
Vehicle(s)
'17 HATCH ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Honda Civic 10th gen What brand engine oil do you use? idemitsu
This..although I am rocking the Honda Genuine for its low calcium, higher boron and not too much moly to where it is abrasive. No Titanium but probably some tri-nuclear moly. Got two more on deck before I unleash the beast above.

Honda2112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
How's about Royal Purple? I was putting full synth in my '07 Fit forever and not a single problem ever. That car ran at 140k as it did the day I drove it off the lot brand new.

OP
OP
ClemsonPatriot

ClemsonPatriot

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How's about Royal Purple? I was putting full synth in my '07 Fit forever and not a single problem ever. That car ran at 140k as it did the day I drove it off the lot brand new.
I know some Acura owner who swore by Royal Purple in his RSX

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Go with whatever has a good history of used oil analyses (UOAs) on direct injection at a decent price. Everyone will have an opinion on this subject. But on a stock powertrain, it seems best to stick with a familiar brand with proven results.

Last edited:

PMMonly4HATCH

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald Frump
Threads
Reaction score
Only bad people (Not Cars) come to America
Vehicle(s)
'17 HATCH ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I run this in all my Hondas.

08798-9037_2.jpg
Yes, I run the same but mine didn't come out the bottles but rather the drum. Good to extend the break-in with this oil as the lube engineers can confer with the car engineers and they just know what formulation will work best based on their extreme expertise in the business. I plan on running 3 changes (1 done) with this and then I pounce with the Idemitsu which has an amazing ability to retain viscosity without using the VIIs that shear.