What are your top 3 complaints with the Civic Si?

TTRPGGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord LX
One of those rare life moments where being short is awesome. :dance:

Sinks that don't break your back when doing dishes. Hotel shower heads that hit your head, not your chest. Not being limited to the selections in big and tall. I could go on but trust me, the advantage to being commonplace is more common than you think. ;)
Sponsored

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Now that I've driven 1,000 miles over the last three weeks in my new Si here are my top 3 complaints...

1) They weren't available for purchase sooner.
2) I had to drive 8 hours round-trip to get one.
3) The first time I've ever had to pay MSRP for a vehicle.

I'm a pretty nit-picky person, but I truly haven't found anything worthy of complaining about so far. The Si has met or exceeded my every expectation.

As a matter of full disclosure, I had originally set out to find a small vehicle with a manual transmission. I was not necessarily looking for an Si. I considered an EX-T and Sport, but found it impossible to locate either of those with a manual transmission anywhere within hundreds of miles of me. By chance, I happened to catch Honda's announcement that the Si was returning in the headlines. The more I learned, the more intrigued I became. It turned out that the Si was exactly what I was looking for.

The more I learned about the Si in general, the more I realized why I never considered one in the past - it's a bit too high-strung for my tastes. The 2017 hit the sweet spot for me.

The sad part is I have a 12K-mile, fully-loaded, $43K Ridgeline that still smells and looks new just sitting in the garage collecting dust. It's been crying itself to sleep every night since I brought the Si home.

Last edited:

rezlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si
Country flag
Now that I've driven 1,000 miles over the last three weeks in my new Si here are my top 3 complaints...

1) They weren't available for purchase sooner.
2) I had to drive 8 hours round-trip to get one.
3) The first time I've ever had to pay MSRP for a vehicle.

I'm a pretty nit-picky person, but I truly haven't found anything worthy of complaining about so far. The Si has met or exceeded my every expectation.

As a matter of full disclosure, I had originally set out to find a small vehicle with a manual transmission. I was not necessarily looking for an Si. I considered an EX-T and Sport, but found it impossible to located either of those with a manual transmission anywhere within hundreds of miles of me. By chance, I happened to catch Honda's announcement that the Si was returning in the headlines. The more I learned, the more intrigued I became. It turned out that the Si was exactly what I was looking for.

The sad part is I have a 12K-mile, fully-loaded, $43K Ridgeline that still smells and looks new just sitting in the garage collecting dust. It's been crying itself to sleep every night since I brought the Si home.
Agreed. This was the first car that I was happy to get for MSRP. Probably could have waited 6 months and saved a few thousand dollars, but my 2000 Si needs tires, exhaust work, etc so there was little gain in waiting. The new Si is a very good car. You can always save the Ridgeline for weekend trips to the hardware store.

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic Si HFP, 2017 Golf R
Here's my three. there's a theme to this

1. Lack of Headroom
2. Sunroof isn't optional thus lack of headroom
3. Because the sunroof isn't optional It can't accommodate my 6'4 height thus lack of headrom
Umm you realize not having a sunroof gives you more headroom right? Unless you plan to drive a car with your head out the roof?

jpuhl777

First Name
Jp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe (WOP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
came up with a new complaint...

I would prefer to have a traditional hand brake, with it being a manual and all.

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura TLX Type-S / 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Top 3 after test driving 4 of them now..:hmm:

1) Rev hang.. this reminded me of my 8th gen Si when it was new and before Flash Pro was released (I'm sure the Dual Mass Flywheel is not helping with this issue and might be part of the problem)
2) Arm rest (center console and doors) material this is absolutely garbage I will be ordering the touring parts to fix this..
3) Paint quality... I know I know... it's a Civic... but I have had numerous Hondas and I can tell you the Si's that I have looked at (Silver, Black and Blue) all had a ton of orange peel on the same area.. the trunk and rear quarter panels .. now the Green I looked at didn't have this issue at all?? not sure what day of the week the paint was sprayed but it needs to look a little better:thumbsdown:

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan

1) Rev hang.. this reminded me of my 8th gen Si when it was new and before Flash Pro was released (I'm sure the Dual Mass Flywheel is not helping with this issue and might be part of the problem)
2) Arm rest (center console and doors) material this is absolutely garbage I will be ordering the touring parts to fix this..
3) Paint quality... I know I know... it's a Civic... but I have had numerous Hondas and I can tell you the Si's that I have looked at (Silver, Black and Blue) all had a ton of orange peel on the same area.. the trunk and rear quarter panels .. now the Green I looked at didn't have this issue at all?? not sure what day of the week the paint was sprayed but it needs to look a little better:thumbsdown:
Show some pics with the new armrest if you can :)

chacky09

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic si
Country flag
Honestly I love the car but yes the material on the arms rest sucks and will be upgrading it. also just adding a sound plate for the blow off valve makes the car sound amazing.

Jake Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2017 CR-V AWD Touring
Country flag
2.) There's not enough compression to restrain your speed on downhill grades.
Thanks for pointing this out! I was thinking something was different than my '13; the '17 really flies downhill in gear in comparison. I have to use the brakes a lot more.

Do others who owned previous Sis notice this?

jpuhl777

First Name
Jp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

can you explain the paint issues I would like to understand. pictures would help too for comparison.

mabuz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
can you explain the paint issues I would like to understand. pictures would help too for comparison.
I'm guessing he just means the general finish of Honda paint. My FG2 was Taffeta White and had an orange peel look to the paint vs. a smoother finish, my wife's Pilot is the same color with the same orange peel finish as well, although it being 7 years newer than my last Si, I think the finish looks a bit better.

As was mentioned, it may just depend on the painter/day of the week/etc... on how your finish looks.

jpuhl777

First Name
Jp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks, guess I'll have to get all up and personal with my paint on the SI, I'm curious now.
Sponsored