What are your top 3 complaints with the Civic Si?

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
All brake hold implementations I've ever heard off comes with electric brakes so it seems to me you can't have brake hold without electric brake. So that's one pro for electric. Plus even if I don't need brake hold, I'd use it anyway because I can just let it hold the car in place and with the brake lights lit for safety while I take my feet off of all pedals. That seems like a good feature to me, but of course I have no first hand experience with that feature.
Just to clarify... Hill Start Assist and Brake Hold are two different functions. Both use the ABS/VSA modulator to maintain hydraulic brake pressure on the service brakes (not the parking brakes).

Hill Start Assist automatically maintains current hydraulic brake pressure for up to two seconds after releasing the brake pedal while stopped on an incline. It's always active and cannot be switched off.

Brake Hold maintains current hydraulic brake pressure for up to 10 minutes after releasing the brake pedal. This feature must be switched on every time you start the vehicle.
Sponsored

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
3. No Homelink
Agreed. I was surprised of the lack of Homelink. I thought all new cars would come with it.

As for the clock, my headunit displayed the clock right when I picked up the car from the dealership. Maybe the the default skins of the software UI are different for different countries. Maybe because my SI comes with Navigation and trial Sirius XM.

Last edited:

jaydubz79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
1.) Copious amounts of Chrome trim.
2.) No Side decaling beyond Si badging.
3.) Sedan is far less attractive IMO whereas I found the 9th gen Si sedan very attractive.

IMO the Si was an after thought one the CTR was fully penned by Honda. I do truly hate having that feeling, but I do love car.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Just to clarify... Hill Start Assist and Brake Hold are two different functions. Both use the ABS/VSA modulator to maintain hydraulic brake pressure on the service brakes (not the parking brakes).

Hill Start Assist automatically maintains current hydraulic brake pressure for up to two seconds after releasing the brake pedal while stopped on an incline. It's always active and cannot be switched off.

Brake Hold maintains current hydraulic brake pressure for up to 10 minutes after releasing the brake pedal. This feature must be switched on every time you start the vehicle.
Yes I do realize Hill Start Assist and Brake Hold are two different features and I do realized they both use the same system components to do their job. But do they have the exact same implementation? I do not know. For instance, in a VW, Hill Start Assist just says it will hold the same pressure last applied for 2 seconds while Auto Hold (VW version of Brake Hold) says it will hold the same brake pressure AND automatically increase the pressure if the system senses the car is rolling and MAY engage the electronic parking brake in case Auto Hold disengages abnormally like you unhooking the seatbelts. This is from the GTI/R owners' manual. I do not own a VW.

But coming back to my original point is that I've yet seen a Brake Hold type feature (permanent hold) implemented on cars with mechanical hand brakes. And that makes me wonder if there's some kind of federal mandate forcing any Brake Hold like feature to be backed up by some kind of automatic e-brake applications. Where you do not need backup for Hill Start Assists because it only holds the vehicle temporarily?

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
But coming back to my original point is that I've yet seen a Brake Hold type feature (permanent hold) implemented on cars with mechanical hand brakes. And that makes me wonder if there's some kind of federal mandate forcing any Brake Hold like feature to be backed up by some kind of automatic e-brake applications. Where you do not need backup for Hill Start Assists because it only holds the vehicle temporarily?
I can't find anything regulating Brake Hold or Hill Start Assist (or similar functionality by other names) in the FMVSS.

I see what you're getting at, though. Most likely manufacturers have taken it upon themselves to offer Brake Hold only on vehicles that are capable of automatically applying the parking brakes if Brake Hold fails or times out and the driver doesn't depress the brake pedal. The Brake Hold feature is intended to replace the driver having to maintain brake pressure.

Hill Start Assist, on the other hand, is intended as a supplemental system designed to reduce or eliminate unintended movement of the vehicle during the brief moment while the driver's foot moves from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal.

In other words, something must back up the Brake Hold feature if it were to fail whether it's the Electronic Parking Brake or the driver since brakes aren't optional. A lot can happen during the ten minute period that Brake Hold is keeping the car from moving. There's much less chance of something going wrong during the two-three second period while the driver's foot moves from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal. Designing the system to apply and release the EPB after such a short delay may be unnecessary exceed the duty cycle of the EPB.

So, I'd say that Brake Hold needs a backup since it's designed as a replacement for holding the brake pedal. Hill Start Assist, however, is just that - it's an assist to the driver - an "add-on" convenience feature instead of a replacement for service brakes.

rushwal

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you unbuckle your seat belt or turn off the engine while BRAKE HOLD is active, the parking brake will engage.
You mean there's no way to have the SI automatically set the e-brake when you shut the car off? I remember seeing some Civic video mentioning that feature. Maybe it only works for automatics?

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan
Country flag
Especially cuz the 40k-ish CTR doesn't even have leather seats. I found that appalling but it goes to show you that if they cut costs there, they are charging more for the engineering the put in the chassis and suspension, imo. Either that or the ADM is a joke and we should be paying 500 over invoice at most.
The CTR is supposed to be a raw performance sports car, not a mercedes S-class. I feel the same way about my car and don't care all that much about not having a lot of unnecessary features or luxury items.

NoWin

Slimer the Civic Si
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI EGP Coupe, 2017 Honda Accord EX-L V6, 1998 Plymouth Neon ACR sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
4) The fact that they blacked out all of the Chrome except for the top chrome molding above the side windows.
Hmmm, my 2017 Si Coupe EGP has blacked side above-window trim, and some of the Utube reviews I've seen have it too, so was this a possible production change later in 2017?

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Hmmm, my 2017 Si Coupe EGP has blacked side above-window trim, and some of the Utube reviews I've seen have it too, so was this a possible production change later in 2017?
Take a picture.

metzb1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1. Android Auto (and too much other automated/electronic crap)
2. Electric parking brake
3. Rev hang really bad, especially when shifting at high RPM

Nozomi135

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si (Modern Silver Metallic)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
...From the night be bought it. Car was originally shipped/sold around early October 2017 from a Honda dealer in Connecticut.
IMG_4554.jpg .
Looks so much better with the black! I've have a 17' MSM Si coupe since the start of August and find the chrome trim to be an eyesore

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am completely gob smacked by the Si. For it’s price, it is the most fantastic car in the history of the Universe. However, that doesn’t mean there are not some small items.

No HDMI input
No Volume knob
Plastic door handles
No VTEC sound
Electric Parking Brake
No spare tire (I do like the extra trunk room though)
Fake air inlets

At first I was disappointed by the turbo vs the old NA VTEC. However, I do like the torque that only the turbo gives and Ktuner fixed all the lag and responsiveness issues. Of course the fuel economy with the turbo is great too. It will take years to see if there is a maintenance issue with the turbo.
Sponsored