What are your long-term plants for your CTR?

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
WILD SPECULATION ALERT: I only expect that non-hybrid, performance manuals will be increasingly difficult to find in the next 5-10 years. So I plan to hang on to this one for a good long time.
Im with you, my buddy who is a diehard manual driver actually just got a new automatic mustang and loves it, I think we lost another one LOL.. Last year they said less then 3% of cars sold were manuals and it shrinks every year. Soon anyone who will want a manual will have no choice but super expensive cars or the after market and then if I sell will be worth so much more. Even super cars are dropping manuals.
Sponsored

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
personally i'm a long termer when it comes to my cars. I'll keep it until something major fails and the cost is just too high and the worth of the car is too low. Or if the car is totaled.

I'd prob still be driving my old 07 Lexus GS350 if its transmission didnt die.

R-10552

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura RDX Aspec, 2019 Civic Si (wife's)
Country flag

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Why don’t you guys drive and enjoy your CTRs more? I mean, I understand if it’s a high end exotic or something... but this is a Civic. A fancy Civic, but a Civic nonetheless.

For the cost of getting $2000 more when you sell, you’re denying yourselves the pleasure of enjoying what you already have in your hands. Essentially, you’re preserving the car for the next owner.

Not sure it makes any sense, on a losing investment. You paid good money to ultimately lose even more money.... and you’re only getting minimal fun out of it in between.

As for myself... I bought this car to daily drive. I honestly don’t care how many miles get racked up- all I care is the car is kept looking minty fresh. If in 10 years I get $6000 less for this car, so be it. I’ll have had smiles for miles... and I’ll still get good money for the car anyway. I always talk about keeping a car forever, but to date the longest I’ve ever owned a car is 4.5 years. No idea what will happen with the CTR, but, seeing as manuals are dying and and I refuse to drive any sort of automatic, I can see myself holding on to this for sometime. If another generation of CTR comes out, I’ll take a close look at it and maybe spring for it then. We shall see.
i mean ... it's not like i'm trying to preserve it or anything lol. If you see my other posts, you know i think that it is just a civic and not some high end exotic.

I wouldn't mind commuting in it but being in LA, traffic gets pretty brutal at times on my 50+ mile commute and it's just not fun driving it. Only time i take it to work is when i have to work on a holiday and traffic is rather smooth.
Other than that, i drive it everywhere on over the weekends when i do go out. But then i also like to enjoy and drive the Z on the weekends also. So i usually end up splitting the driving times with the two cars.

which is kind of why, i thought about just getting rid of both and getting a GT4 but the CTR is so useful when i carry tons of stuff around, it makes it a hard decision ...

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Personally, I'm not preserving mine for the next owner. I'm not worried about re-sale. It's a toy that I like to drive on the weekends when I can. I enjoy taking care of it and keeping it clean (for myself, not the next owner). I have a very short commute to work...why take it out of the garage, drive it for 7 mins., then let it sit outside for 10 hours then drive 7 mins. home? Risk door dings and who knows what else. Totally pointless. I have a daily driver for that. It is "just a Civic" I know...but it's something I've been waiting for since 2001 and it means a bit more to me then just a normal car.

If I couldn't afford it/wasn't putting food on the table at home and not driving it, it'd be different. I get my money's worth out of it even if not everyone agrees or sees it the way I do.
Me too. I don't "go to work" anymore and drive the CTR when I want to. I have another toy and a wintertime/grandkid hauler( although they would rather always go in the CTR) so my mileage is going to stay low on both of the toys. It is not for resale nor investment purposes. I do not buy a car as an investment. I have a financial advisor for that and he thinks my car buying ideas are insane. I have explained to him that living life happy is more important to me than building an extreme amount of wealth only to die unhappy. My toys are one of the things that make me happy. Goal fulfilled!

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Will by my daily driver until I can finally afford a 2012+ R35. At which point, the car will become my wife's and will the family mobile.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
It's my daily and I love it. My commute recently got shorter, which means I won't be putting as much miles as I thought I would. That's fine, maybe I'll get to 10 years and have a reasonable amount of miles instead of a 200k junker.

Maybe one day I'll get a daily with less sporty seats and leave the R for weekend duty. Who knows. I don't mind the seats, but my passengers always have something to say.

OP
OP
Gunther

Gunther

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46
Country flag
Part of what concerns me with the long-term ownership of a "unique" car like this is the specialized parts as things begin to age. In 10 years, you might still be driving it, but it's not clear that Honda or any aftermarket companies will be producing dampers for the car, for example. So will they still be ~$300 a piece? Or $1,000?

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Part of what concerns me with the long-term ownership of a "unique" car like this is the specialized parts as things begin to age. In 10 years, you might still be driving it, but it's not clear that Honda or any aftermarket companies will be producing dampers for the car, for example. So will they still be ~$300 a piece? Or $1,000?
I am not too worried about that. These things are selling really well, and hopefully will continue to be sold for a couple more years. I think there will be plenty of aftermarket support for the items that wear over time. We have huge advantage in this respect vs other sports cars because 90% of the parts are the same as the regular 10th gen civics...and, by the end of this gen, there will literally be millions of those on the road.

TonyD

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rallye Red Type R
Country flag
Mine is a 2017 with about 25k miles on it. I daily drive mine in good weather and bad.

I used to drive my cars into the ground. I love the CTR and see myself being happy with it for many years.

However I find myself reading about all kinds of new cool stuff coming out in the next few years and will keep my options open. If Subaru ever gets off their butt and redesigns the STI or if VW finally gives the Golf R a power boost I might consider it.

Until then I'm going to enjoy the heck out of this wonderful car!

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Unnecessary FUD tbh. You can still buy brand new aftermarket parts for the 90s NSX and they're not that crazy expensive.

I can't think of any mass produced sports car from the 90s that isn't still supported by the aftermarket at reasonable prices.

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I think im in it for the long haul as well. This car is way to enjoyable and I love the six speed manual transmission. If more automakers make less manual transmission this will certainly be something worth holding onto for personal enjoyment. Plus its a Type R and possibly the last gas powered Type R. Ive had mine for 8 months and I`ve only put about 3500 miles on it but i find myself driving it more and more as it is just so much fun to drive around.