What are your long-term plants for your CTR?

Gunther

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46
Country flag
I'm looking into buying a CTR & judging by my own history, I'd probably drive the thing for 10+ years & 150K+ miles. Do you think this is a stupid car for long-term ownership? I DIY everything I can, and would keep up with it.

My main motivation is that it hits the sweet spot on multiple dimensions. Plus, Honda's reputation for reliability makes me feel like it wouldn't go overboard with wanting for stupid shit after 60K miles Ă  la pretty much anything German.
Sponsored

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
tbh i don't know.

A part of me wants to sell it and put it towards a down payment on a GT4 but a part of me is saying keep it because it's nice to have at least one practical car.

on another note, i only have 4200 miles which equals to like 2-2.5k miles a year which is kind of a waste of money to hold onto it ...

R-10552

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura RDX Aspec, 2019 Civic Si (wife's)
Country flag
I'm with the guys above...I'm at about 1.5 years in and I have 2,200 miles on my car. Might have 20k by the time I'm 80. haha

mnksauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2005 RSX Type S
Country flag
It's going to be the grocery getter, eventually. zero plans on selling the thing as it seems to hit the sweet spot between fun and usability for the moment. One day, this will sit on street after I get a super something or other.

darrvao777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR, '18 G550
Country flag
Drive it hard three years (daily driver, I’m not a track guy) then move on to something else

It’s worked well for me over the last decade

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Toy! One of two toys I plan to keep. I do like the R because it is semi-practical and fun. Will probably keep it until I can't get in and out of it.

SixxSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Why don’t you guys drive and enjoy your CTRs more? I mean, I understand if it’s a high end exotic or something... but this is a Civic. A fancy Civic, but a Civic nonetheless.

For the cost of getting $2000 more when you sell, you’re denying yourselves the pleasure of enjoying what you already have in your hands. Essentially, you’re preserving the car for the next owner.

Not sure it makes any sense, on a losing investment. You paid good money to ultimately lose even more money.... and you’re only getting minimal fun out of it in between.

As for myself... I bought this car to daily drive. I honestly don’t care how many miles get racked up- all I care is the car is kept looking minty fresh. If in 10 years I get $6000 less for this car, so be it. I’ll have had smiles for miles... and I’ll still get good money for the car anyway. I always talk about keeping a car forever, but to date the longest I’ve ever owned a car is 4.5 years. No idea what will happen with the CTR, but, seeing as manuals are dying and and I refuse to drive any sort of automatic, I can see myself holding on to this for sometime. If another generation of CTR comes out, I’ll take a close look at it and maybe spring for it then. We shall see.

R-10552

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Why don’t you guys drive and enjoy your CTRs more? I mean, I understand if it’s a high end exotic or something... but this is a Civic. A fancy Civic, but a Civic nonetheless.

For the cost of getting $2000 more when you sell, you’re denying yourselves the pleasure of enjoying what you already have in your hands. Essentially, you’re preserving the car for the next owner.

Not sure it makes any sense, on a losing investment. You paid good money to ultimately lose even more money.... and you’re only getting minimal fun out of it in between.

As for myself... I bought this car to daily drive. I honestly don’t care how many miles get racked up- all I care is the car is kept looking minty fresh. If in 10 years I get $6000 less for this car, so be it. I’ll have had smiles for miles... and I’ll still get good money for the car anyway. I always talk about keeping a car forever, but to date the longest I’ve ever owned a car is 4.5 years. No idea what will happen with the CTR, but, seeing as manuals are dying and and I refuse to drive any sort of automatic, I can see myself holding on to this for sometime. If another generation of CTR comes out, I’ll take a close look at it and maybe spring for it then. We shall see.
Personally, I'm not preserving mine for the next owner. I'm not worried about re-sale. It's a toy that I like to drive on the weekends when I can. I enjoy taking care of it and keeping it clean (for myself, not the next owner). I have a very short commute to work...why take it out of the garage, drive it for 7 mins., then let it sit outside for 10 hours then drive 7 mins. home? Risk door dings and who knows what else. Totally pointless. I have a daily driver for that. It is "just a Civic" I know...but it's something I've been waiting for since 2001 and it means a bit more to me then just a normal car.

If I couldn't afford it/wasn't putting food on the table at home and not driving it, it'd be different. I get my money's worth out of it even if not everyone agrees or sees it the way I do.

SixxSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Why are you afraid of leaving it outside of your garage? These things can’t be stolen like hondas of the past.

R-10552

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Why are you afraid of leaving it outside of your garage? These things can’t be stolen like hondas of the past.
It stays clean in the garage. Never mentioned anything about being afraid of it being stolen.

Melvinspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR; 2015 Ford Flex
Country flag
Personally, I'm not preserving mine for the next owner. I'm not worried about re-sale. It's a toy that I like to drive on the weekends when I can. I enjoy taking care of it and keeping it clean (for myself, not the next owner). I have a very short commute to work...why take it out of the garage, drive it for 7 mins., then let it sit outside for 10 hours then drive 7 mins. home? Risk door dings and who knows what else. Totally pointless. I have a daily driver for that. It is "just a Civic" I know...but it's something I've been waiting for since 2001 and it means a bit more to me then just a normal car.

If I couldn't afford it/wasn't putting food on the table at home and not driving it, it'd be different. I get my money's worth out of it even if not everyone agrees or sees it the way I do.

This is pretty accurate. I wanna drive it when I can enjoy it. And the stop/start 6 mile highway commute doesn't bring me any joy no matter what I'm driving. So I'll save the wear and tear on the disposable items which all seem pretty pricey and prone to early replacement.

Like 10552, I'm not preserving this to resell. My daily drivers last 10 years or longer. So with a lower threshold of usage, the CTR should last even longer.

WILD SPECULATION ALERT: I only expect that non-hybrid, performance manuals will be increasingly difficult to find in the next 5-10 years. So I plan to hang on to this one for a good long time.
Sponsored