What are your complaints with the type R?

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (CW)
Country flag
For me:

1) Cannot combine drive modes (i.e. comfort suspension with R throttle/steering). Most other brands call this "Individual" mode.
2) 20" Rims mean tires are too thin for many climates / places with crappy roads
3) The subwoofer crossover is set so ridiculously low that it almost does nothing
4) Purely subjective, but I wish we had an option for the more subtle euro-spec wing
5) No spare tire, especially when the highest chance of a flat with the 20" rims will be a pinch flat or blowout that you cannot repair. I hate having to buy a spare tire kit separately.
6) No park distance sensors (Europe gets them)

I personally have no issues with the infotainment, there is some slight delay compared to the best systems out there but I am using Android Auto 100% of the time and it just works great. It's starting to look a little dated though compared to something like MBUX on the Mercedes A-Class.

I'm coming from a 2017 Civic Sport Touring as well, so I already know what I'm getting into for the most part.
Sponsored

SixSpeeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
Country flag
I love when people justify why they didn't buy a Type-R and instead bought a lower trim Civic. Imagine complaining about something you don't own.
You don't have to like my justification, it doesn't take anything away from you enjoying your car. The fact of the matter is that I'm in the position to buy a R if I wanted to but that I didn't want to and here are my reasons why. If you disagree and have no complaints, that's great. You can spend your money how you choose, and I'll spend mine as I choose.

gaara46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 4runner
Country flag
im at under 4k mileage and i still have some pretty noticeable brake/axle squeal sounds like its coming from the rear. only randomly sometimes though at low speed

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
You don't have to like my justification, it doesn't take anything away from you enjoying your car. The fact of the matter is that I'm in the position to buy a R if I wanted to but that I didn't want to and here are my reasons why. If you disagree and have no complaints, that's great. You can spend your money how you choose, and I'll spend mine as I choose.
So you didn't buy a performance vehicle because it didn't have heated seats. Sure thing turbo genius.

JamesinSoCal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Love the car, there is only 1 item that is truly a complaint, the others listed are nitpicky:

THE BAD: The endlessly squeaking brakes.

SUBJECTIVELY LACKING: Active Sound (I have a 2020) and the exhaust note (already disconnected Active Sound and added a Milltek Road+ Part-Resonated). The Suede/Alcantara steering wheel may have to go. I want an actual e-brake.

HUH?: The sound system is oddly thin, infotainment is wonky, inability to customize modes is questionable. And why couldn't they have put an on/off button on the Active Sound, c'mon!

Last edited:

SixSpeeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So you didn't buy a performance vehicle because it didn't have heated seats. Sure thing turbo genius.
Absolutely not, that's a minor complaint but definitely not a deal breaker (though my finance would be mad at me since my last few cars have had them.) The uninspiring exhaust note is a deal breaker for me personally for a high performance car in that price range, it doesn't match the looks and performance of the vehicle in my opinion and is a disappointment. Having to immediately buy new wheels and tires (which again is a personal problem due to some of the roads in my area) bumps the vehicle into the mid $40k's which is a hard sell at that point, there's a lot of stiff competition in that price range that are significantly faster than a Type R and arguably more enjoyable to drive (subjective).

The fact that there are so many die hard fan boys that can't stand to hear anyone say a single negative thing about their beloved baby really does speak volumes for the car, you can tell that people really do love them to death. But the Type R didn't catch my interest personally enough to justify me having a car payment. I'm curious to see what the next generation holds.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Absolutely not, that's a minor complaint but definitely not a deal breaker (though my finance would be mad at me since my last few cars have had them.) The uninspiring exhaust note is a deal breaker for me personally for a high performance car in that price range, it doesn't match the looks and performance of the vehicle in my opinion and is a disappointment. Having to immediately buy new wheels and tires (which again is a personal problem due to some of the roads in my area) bumps the vehicle into the mid $40k's which is a hard sell at that point, there's a lot of stiff competition in that price range that are significantly faster than a Type R and arguably more enjoyable to drive (subjective).

The fact that there are so many die hard fan boys that can't stand to hear anyone say a single negative thing about their beloved baby really does speak volumes for the car, you can tell that people really do love them to death. But the Type R didn't catch my interest personally enough to justify me having a car payment. I'm curious to see what the next generation holds.
The exhaust is a legitimate complaint, but if you can afford a Type-R, you can afford an exhaust. Even then, still not something to really skip the car on. Go get a Veloster N then if exhaust is on the top of your list.

Fan boy? Nah, I recognize there are faults (many) with the Type-R for sure. It's just intriguing to see someone who doesn't own one join the complainers committee as if they have any experience with one.

You were never going to buy a Type-R, so why front like you can or would. It's just like the people saying they would buy a A90 if it came manual.

SixSpeeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The exhaust is a legitimate complaint, but if you can afford a Type-R, you can afford an exhaust. Even then, still not something to really skip the car on. Go get a Veloster N then if exhaust is on the top of your list.

Fan boy? Nah, I recognize there are faults (many) with the Type-R for sure. It's just intriguing to see someone who doesn't own one join the complainers committee as if they have any experience with one.

You were never going to buy a Type-R, so why front like you can or would. It's just like the people saying they would buy a A90 if it came manual.
You apparently didn't read my posts, I don't think the Type R sounds particularly good even with an aftermarket exhaust system and that's not my only aversion to owning one. My complaints were enough to stop me from wanting to buy one. Go back and read my first post if you care why I don't want a R (and what changes may have swayed me to splurge for one). If you don't care, then why are you still here replying to me? I know it blows your mind that someone who drives a Si could afford a more expensive car but you're just going to have to take my word for it. Or not, who cares, I don't.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You apparently didn't read my posts, I don't think the Type R sounds particularly good even with an aftermarket exhaust system and that's not my only aversion to owning one. My complaints were enough to stop me from wanting to buy one. Go back and read my first post if you care why I don't want a R (and what changes may have swayed me to splurge for one). If you don't care, then why are you still here replying to me? I know it blows your mind that someone who drives a Si could afford a more expensive car but you're just going to have to take my word for it. Or not, who cares, I don't.
You're totally right man. If the Type-R had heated seats and a better exhaust, you would've bought it. Oh and the wheels of course, can't forget the over sized pothole magnets, Honda should've put on 16's. Might as well put in a moon roof while we're at it, maybe some automatic chairs too. Imagine if the Type-R had all these things, it would be in such demand... I almost forgot the wing, throw that over compensating razor blade outta here it's a family car damn it.

I never said you couldn't afford one by the way.

I could've bought an A90, but it only comes AT, so I wasn't about it. Plus, it has a BMW engine and it has a BMW interior, gross. If only it came with a Toyota engine, Toyota interior and MT, then I'd buy it. Toyota (Honda) has no idea what they're doing.

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
The miles add up too fast! I dont think I can complain about the rattles and crappy fluids honda puts in them. Its a civic after all if i wanted luxury I'd have to spend the money to buy luxury. I wanted raw and fun personally.

SixSpeeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You're totally right man. If the Type-R had heated seats and a better exhaust, you would've bought it. Oh and the wheels of course, can't forget the over sized pothole magnets, Honda should've put on 16's. Might as well put in a moon roof while we're at it, maybe some automatic chairs too. Imagine if the Type-R had all these things, it would be in such demand... I almost forgot the wing, throw that over compensating razor blade outta here it's a family car damn it.

I never said you couldn't afford one by the way.

I could've bought an A90, but it only comes AT, so I wasn't about it. Plus, it has a BMW engine and it has a BMW interior, gross. If only it came with a Toyota engine, Toyota interior and MT, then I'd buy it. Toyota (Honda) has no idea what they're doing.
Don't forget the way it looks, I'm not a fan of the aero at all as stated earlier. I've taken the time to write out why I feel the way that I do, go back and read my posts if you're still confused. It's obvious that you've been skimming my posts and that you don't think that I'm entitled to my opinion.

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
  • Standard exhaust sound
  • Not enough difference between sport and r mode for me, while comfort steering feels disconnected
  • Alcantara around the door pulls, always gonna get manky
  • Head unit is a bit 90's graphics
That's it really for me. Not much!
The steering disconnect is because of the Electric Power Steering and sadly that is probably gone forever in production cars anyway unless you modded your car with standard hydralic power steering. I known when the guy from engineering explained drove the Si 10th gen that was llike the first comment he made and now that I have one I see what he means. You can feel the road through the tires but you do not get that sense of grip and knowing where the edge is through the wheel because of the power steering they have now.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Don't forget the way it looks, I'm not a fan of the aero at all as stated earlier. I've taken the time to write out why I feel the way that I do, go back and read my posts if you're still confused. It's obvious that you've been skimming my posts and that you don't think that I'm entitled to my opinion.
So you don't like anything about the aero, noted. Usually it's just the wing haters, but you dislike the entire package, that's new.

Really, the only thing I'm confused about is why you tried to like a car enough to buy it even though you hate it? Because you've already stated you made the choice to not get it and just get the Si instead; a car from a completely different category all together. Why not just consider a Golf R then? Are you a Honda fan boy? The Si has lots of competition at that price point.

I wanted to buy a BMW M2C, but it just wasn't enough of the right things for me, so I bought a BMW 230i instead, really wanted that moonroof.

SixSpeeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So you don't like anything about the aero, noted. Usually it's just the wing haters, but you dislike the entire package, that's new.

Really, the only thing I'm confused about is why you tried to like a car enough to buy it even though you hate it? Because you've already stated you made the choice to not get it and just get the Si instead; a car from a completely different category all together. Why not just consider a Golf R then? Are you a Honda fan boy? The Si has lots of competition at that price point.

I wanted to buy a BMW M2C, but it just wasn't enough of the right things for me, so I bought a BMW 230i instead, really wanted that moonroof.
I like that people don't try to race me in the Si, it largely goes unnoticed. It would have been nice if the aero was part of a performance package. I wanted to like to the Type-R because it has a fantastic engine and suspension, it seems like a great DD with good residual. I owned a 2015 MK7 GTI that got bought back by VW under WA State lemon law after being in the shop for 32 days with the same issue unresolved, I'm done with VW for the time being (not my only VW reliability story). I bought a 2016 WRX Limited 6MT after that and owned it for a year before I got bored of it. It was quick but the AWD nature made it boring to drive imo, it lacked excitement and felt porky in the corners. I'm 32, I've owned more than a couple of cars over the years. But seriously, enough about me. It doesn't matter if you accept my reasoning or not.

As I said earlier, I did test a Veloster N but found the interior (among other things) unacceptable. I never said that I hated the R, just that it's not the right car for me for a specific set of reasons. I compared the Si to the competition extensively, I've yet to regret my decision.
Sponsored