What are your complaints with the type R?

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
You act like people can’t have opinions and that the Type R is seemingly perfect. It’s not. Plus, you’ve only owned your CTR for what, a few months now? Some of the posters here are going on a year or more. Once the honeymoon phase wears off you do notice the flaws more.

We don’t intentionally try to find flaws. They are apparent to us because we’ve noticed them. Whether or not you find them to be a flaw or not is irrelevant. Some could be nitpicking, but remember, this car is far from the only one in it’s class.

For a lot of us who have daily driven this car for a significant period of time, you do realize that as great as the Type R is, it has flaws. And that’s fine, because the flaws IMO add to it’s character. To ignore these flaws IMO is feigning ignorance. Maybe you got a really good car, but others clearly didn’t. Each car is different and might possess quirks that another one doesn’t.

Attacking people for speaking their mind about what they don’t like about the car is a bit ridiculous IMO.
LOL - attacking? Oooooooooookkkkkkk? I'm not ignoring anything I ventured an opinion you ventured one as well - Then I thought to respond in a thread I'm actively participating in with more of my opinion.

it's called a conversation but all good you do you. :)
Sponsored

hpbyhermann

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Championship white Type R #25133, 09' Civic SI sedan, black 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 2004 Mustang Cobra
Country flag
This is the quick and dirty version....for the money this car really is in a class of its own. My only issue I had was minor every now and then grinds going into 2nd gear. Fixed it myself by adjusting the CMC rod and changing the trans fluid to GM Syncromesh. Great brakes, power and handling out of the box. Easy and cheap to maintain compared to other brands with similar performance targets. It is an economy car based platform that doesn't feel like it when driving it.....I'm very happy to just have something like this to drive! I would buy it again without a doubt.

Last edited:

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Worrying about dings/scratches etc. Worrying about others driving my car, like mechanics or valets. I have never really cared about this before beyond a couple of months of a new car. Going on 2 years of ownership, it's starting to fade a little but still strong. I try to park away from others and in corners. I take pictures of my odometer when dropping the car off and point out my scratch free wheels and clean side skirts.
I get anxiety every time I have to park somewhere. I'll always go to a corner spot with a curb or the end of a parking row where I can park over the line. If you can't open your door all the way you're too close. Or I at least try to park next to a clean expensive vehicle where I can tell the person takes care of it. On jobsites the Spanish dudes always park their beat to shit older cars wayyy too close to people, even if there is plenty of open room. It drives me nuts. I'll usually double park at work next to someone else from my company that way I can adjust just in case. One day I caught one leaning up on my car shooting the shit. No fucking respect.

Only one other person has been in the driver seat, and it was a guy that had his own fk8 and only drove it like 100 feet at the performance shop. I do all of my maintenance and upgrades on my own. If a situation came where I had to drop it off, I would drive it there and upload a valet tune limiting the speed to 25mph and torque to almost nothing. Plus you can see everywhere this car has been driven through the infotainment center which is a pretty awesome feature. Have fun getting pulled over for crawling along the highway trying to take your work buddies to lunch.

Really hope it never comes to that point. Some labor intensive work like upgrading the clutch, suspension, or maybe setting up port injection if I don't feel like doing it myself I'd be able to take to the same performance shop and not really worry about it.

I really love the car and I wasn't going to post anything As the other stuff can be overlooked but in the last week....

#1—super loud brake squeal from front brakes.

Like embarrassingly loud. Like it’s exactly at the brake pedal pressure I want to stop at so I hit the brakes hard than I need to then ease up light until I stop. Medium pressure creates an extremely loud embarrassing almost ear piercing squeal. It’s not anything at all like the warning sound you get when brakes are low. I got the car 11/2019 and it has 2,600 miles. I do mostly city driving. When I get a chance At night I’m going to Some hard braking on the highway. Wondering if the pads are glazed? I have no idea but some hard braking on local streets helped it a tiny bit. It’s not because the ambient temp is cold around Boston. It was 65 degrees F when I was driving today.
Does it sound like an aluminum can being crushed and drug along the road? My stock pads had a little bit of squeal on slow speed, medium to light braking. But whenever a rock gets lodged inside the front brake shield it makes a very cringeworthy loud sound like dragging a can. It hasn't really happened since I've ditched the stock wheels though

Last edited:

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
Plus you can see everywhere this car has been driven through the infotainment center which is a pretty awesome feature. Have fun getting pulled over for crawling along the highway trying to take your work buddies to lunch.
Is this a standard feature? How do you do this?

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Is this a standard feature? How do you do this?
As far as I know it is. From the menu home screen hit navigation, then on that menu (it still has the red background or whatever your theme color is before it changes when you go into navigation app) and its there under Apps called "Where I've Been" It shows wherever you traveled on any specific date.

Honda Civic 10th gen What are your complaints with the type R? IMG_20200312_151536

Honda Civic 10th gen What are your complaints with the type R? IMG_20200312_151645

JESFromASC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2015 Silverado, 2007 Rabbit
Country flag
Complaint would be no small, simple, hybrid unit to power the rear wheels and provide off-the-line speeds equal to the third gear and beyond speeds.
Would also help those with overheat issues stuck in LA traffic... just switch to electric power when crawling along at 2MPH.
Yeah I know, I know...
If my aunt had -

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
lol wow - I can't believe so many people find that much to pick apart on this car I must have a low threshhold for annoyance. I stand by my original response in here - car is great end to end.

- I don't expect amazing paint on cars that are in this price range - this is a sad reality for cars for the last 20 years almost so isn't it time to just accept it and move on? lol - Get some touch up paint - realize it's a Honda - and repaint the bumper or get some 3m if you want to keep it perfect. I bought a car to drive - I have some rock chips - I don't care / touch them up when needed

- Infotainment slow - ok - it's a bit laggy, but is that really something to spend money on over making the rest of the car have all it has? I don't even notice it anymore tbh as I just use the thumb control on the steering wheel to change songs in whatever media I'm engaged in at the time. But this is something to complain about? lol. This factory stereo is very decent overall - good sound / decent power - good set of features. Maybe people spend too much time on phones and expect that snappy response? I rate that - who cares / 100

- Complaints about steering or driving feel - Have you guys ever driven any other cars? Complaining about any aspect of this cars handling or driving feel just completely baffles me. I've had vettes, EVO's, Subaru's, BMW's, and I put this little badass at the top of the list of most all of them. I would have to spend about $150k to get to the same driving feel and corner holding as this with a similar power to weight distribution (911 GT3 Rs etc.)

- Rattles - Take it to the dealer? I have zero rattles and drive over Houston streets which feel like they came out of a warzone. Perhaps nothing like the snow damaged streets of up north, but they aren't 'smooth' where I live, close to downtown. Zero rattles - When I took it to Austin to visit friends the buddy I have that has had nothing but X5 M's for as long as I can remember was like 'Wow Honda built a car that feels like what a BMW should feel like. Great power, silent interior / light and nimble'. This is a guy that never drove any of the cars I've had for the last 20 years for more than 2 minutes. When I was there for the weekend I couldn't get him out of my car - he drove it 6 times

There are more but really after the first page this thread seemed to turn into a contest of 'What can I come up with to pick apart this car that I think I like?' lol

Too funny - happy motoring all but some of these posts - lol - seriously how? And if you hate it that much (weird) get a different car
Ya, also found it odd that so many owners seem to be unhappy with their car. Clearly, the purchase of a CTR or similar type of car is (at least partially) an emotional purchase. I would be selling the car if I had similar levels of disappointment/frustration as some others here... Oh, that's exactly what I did with the F80 M3 I bought then sold just before purchasing the CTR...

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
I have complaints about the car but I'm far from unhappy. I'm just honest...it's not perfect but I've never had a car that is. This one is the closest to perfect by far, but there are still some minor issues with it.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have complaints about the car but I'm far from unhappy. I'm just honest...it's not perfect but I've never had a car that is. This one is the closest to perfect by far, but there are still some minor issues with it.
That's what I'm trying to say. I love the car, but it has flaws, and that's what this thread is for. I have no desire to sell it, I just wish a few things about it were changed. That's it.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Ya, also found it odd that so many owners seem to be unhappy with their car. Clearly, the purchase of a CTR or similar type of car is (at least partially) an emotional purchase. I would be selling the car if I had similar levels of disappointment/frustration as some others here... Oh, that's exactly what I did with the F80 M3 I bought then sold just before purchasing the CTR...
I wouldn't say so many to be honest. Maybe a handful, at best, are truly unhappy with their car. Though I know one that is less so now. Most of the people in this thread mainly listed out quirks of the car that are inconveniences; it's not like they hate the car. I'm not going to go out and say the car is perfect, because it isn't, Honda clearly could have made it better in many ways (many of which are listed right here in the thread); they just decided not to.

Edit: You may agree with some things in this thread, you may not depending on who you are and what you use the car for. For example, I would have liked it if it had heated mirrors because I DD drive the car, even during the winter. If you don't drive the car in the winter, you won't care about that. I'd like a larger gas tank because I DD the car and having slightly longer range means less time spent filling up and more time spent enjoying the car. If you don't DD the car, it might not impact you nearly as much. Others don't like the 20" rims because they've experienced blow outs, bent rims, etc. I have bad roads, but haven't come across an instance where that happened (OK I did blow out once), so it doesn't bother me nearly as much. But I did swap them out for a better tire selection (again, this would be a complaint) since I wanted an all-season compound; if you don't care about all season compounds, this might not be a flaw to you.

soas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BRZ
Country flag
For what it's worth, I think this thread is great. I am a prospective CTR buyer, and being that this will be my daily driver, it is really useful to know what kinds of issues (including the small ones) I should look out for.

What is barely bothersome or even outright unnoticeable to one person might be a dealbreaker to someone else. Everyone is different.

End of the day, it sometimes just feels better to vent about stuff.

rallyered225

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
Only complaint I have is the occasional 2nd gear grind no matter how careful I am shifting.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
For what it's worth, I think this thread is great. I am a prospective CTR buyer, and being that this will be my daily driver, it is really useful to know what kinds of issues (including the small ones) I should look out for.

What is barely bothersome or even outright unnoticeable to one person might be a dealbreaker to someone else. Everyone is different.

End of the day, it sometimes just feels better to vent about stuff.
Biggest problem with the CTR, you can't drift in the snow, makes the car near worthless.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Biggest problem with the CTR, you can't drift in the snow, makes the car near worthless.
TCS off + Scandinavian flick or lift-off oversteer. You're not doing donuts in the snow and need a little more space and it's probably safe to do nowhere public...

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
TCS off + Scandinavian flick or lift-off oversteer. You're not doing donuts in the snow and need a little more space and it's probably safe to do nowhere public...
Not the biggest expert on lift off oversteer yet as I'm more used to RWD. The Scandinavian flick though, is how I got my woman. No woman can resist a well performed Scandinavian flick.
Sponsored