What are yall using to keep the interior clean

9civic10

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
Specifically the cheap fabric on the arm rest and doors. I've only had the car for a couple weeks and it looks like I had it for 2 years lol .

I think my dry elbows are the culprit on the arm rest ha
Sponsored

jpuhl777

First Name
Jp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe (WOP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
also curious

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! ;)

I have a black towel on the center armrest. My left arm doesn't touch the armrest on the driver's door enough to create an issue. The passenger's door armrest, though, traps dry skin every time someone sits there. It seems to vacuum right off, though. My Ridgeline does the same thing, but on the soft-touch plastic upper door trim - for some reason, that's a natural resting place for my brother's arm when he rides with me and I have to wipe it down with a damp cloth every time.

GeoUSA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
I knew fabric in these locations was going to be a problem. A wet cloth has helped some. Next I will try an automotive fabric cleaner. I suspect it is a normal plastic surface under the fabric so removal or replacement with more fabric may be my future solution.

By the way, Armor All matt finish wipes have worked well for me everywhere else in the interior.

jpuhl777

First Name
Jp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe (WOP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
thanks GeoUSA - I was curious what it might cost to swap the center console portions to the leather touring pieces. :)
an interesting fabric choice by honda....

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
Really, the less chemicals you use on interior bits, the better, as a generalization. The best solution is often a damp cloth, water only or a very small quantity of cleaner diluted in water. The amount of chemical needed is typically a lot less than most people use.

Griots Interior Cleaner is decent stuff. Sonax makes a pretty good upholstery cleaner from what I hear. Also the Nextzett Blitz cleaner.

I've given some thought to removing the center armrest bits on my wife's car and having them recovered with pleather at an upholstery shop. It would likely be cheaper than OE non cloth bits, turn out as nice, and be a lot more cost effective.

The OE cloth just plain isn't very tough, in my opinion. Our 2014 Civic seemed to have more durable door panel and armrest fabric. 5 years from now, some of the interior parts on used Civics might look ratty.

Canteenboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Specifically the cheap fabric on the arm rest and doors. I've only had the car for a couple weeks and it looks like I had it for 2 years lol .

I think my dry elbows are the culprit on the arm rest ha
I am looking into buying the leather pieces from the touring model to swap.

Honda2112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I use Optimum No Rinse (ONR) diluted to a Quick Detailer. A 32oz bottle is cheap for the "wanna keep it clean" guy and can be cut to serve multiple purposes. As a QD it provides just the right amount of lubricant and "Flashes" (dries) quick so there's no residue. If you want to shine/protect and keep your new car smell, follow up with something like 303 Aerospace Protectant. Otherwise, I use C.A.R. Products "Clean n Sheen" on customer vehicles, it cleans and shines in one step and leaves a mild pleasing odor behind (even though I'm sick of it).

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

indexcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX (Crystal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i find that I can clean just about all of the interior pieces with a damp cloth. It works really well on the cloth seats, although I have some tree sap on he drivers seat now so I'll have to see about getting that out.

Canteenboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
thanks GeoUSA - I was curious what it might cost to swap the center console portions to the leather touring pieces. :)
an interesting fabric choice by honda....
I found the items for the center console on hondapartsnetwork.com

Right Console *NH900L* Armrest Assembly (Leather) - 83411-TBA-A11ZA - $43.26
Left Console *NH900L* Armrest Assembly (Leather) -83416-TBA-A11ZA - $43.26
Armrest Assembly *NH900L* - 83441-TBA-A01ZA - $108.85

OP
OP
9civic10

9civic10

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
Is the leather black ? Honestly I'd probably order that stuff

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
^^ That's my fallback plan, but after having seen/felt that leather in person, it appeared too "soft" i.e. it hasn't instilled me with any confidence in its ability to last/age well. Aside from being too bland- and cheap-looking. I'm trying to get quotes for custom work at a few local car upholstery shops, -- will see what happens...
Sponsored