What are these two top buttons?

Giltibo

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Accord Coupe 5MT. '18 Civic Sport Touring 6MT (Both Red!)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That is why you should ALWAYS read the manual, where it is clearly explained! Yes I know it's over 600 pages but...

OP
OP
Leveslady

Leveslady

First Name
Christina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2018, Honda Type R 2021
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That is why you should ALWAYS read the manual, where it is clearly explained! Yes I know it's over 600 pages but...

I did. Probably forgot. But thanks for being so smart! :lol:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I would have thought the icon on the button was pretty self explanatory in regards to what they turn off.
It seems like Europeans and others have a great enthusiasm for icons and pictograms, while Americans generally are more skeptical and prefer labels.

I agree with the link below, that the belief that everything can be iconized and icons are self-explanatory, is not based on reality.
https://uxmyths.com/post/715009009/myth-icons-enhance-usability

Labels are better. Without looking up, I would understand the word "brake" in the following languages, (and many more) although I only know a few of them:

English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Greek, Danish, Maltese, Corsican, Esperanto, Icelandic, Norwegian, Latvian, Mongolian, Polish, Turkish.....
Why learn obscure icons instead of learning some words in different languages?

Cases in point from my experience:

1. A Chinese university science student in China drives off the university-owned car with the parking brake on. A sound beeps and an icon pops up. He stops the car and neither he nor a young professor, also in the car, understand what's going on until they ask me.

Honda Civic 10th gen What are these two top buttons? P7ZghUufLnx6owW15--HiCC9bZ1Ai4XvvUpF20bbujXebg8SBpZBiCwHNSoag?width=512&height=512&cropmode=none

2. This icon popped up in my wife's CR-V. She had no idea WTH it meant. I guess a cross-section of a tire is not a familiar image to her.

Honda Civic 10th gen What are these two top buttons? zqdblCFN3qhKOjB2v3VUVoZ3SmNE9d6lXRl-9y3rr4K1EoZCxZpmgeAGR3UyQ?width=261&height=193&cropmode=none

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
It seems like Europeans and others have a great enthusiasm for icons and pictograms, while Americans generally are more skeptical and prefer labels.

Labels are better. Without looking up, I would understand the word "brake" in the following languages, (and many more) although I only know a few of them:

English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Greek, Danish, Maltese, Corsican, Esperanto, Icelandic, Norwegian, Latvian, Mongolian, Polish, Turkish.....
Why learn obscure icons instead of learning some words in different languages?
Because words don't work either.

The word Gift in English means Poison in German. So much more could go wrong if the same word has a different meaning for another language.

Especially Europe where there are lots of small countries close together.