What are some "must dos" as a new owner?

Draider87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 accord 2.0 sport manual
Country flag
Im in the process of purchasing a new 2019 CW. This will be my first car that I owned that I actually care about and want to keep in good condition for a long time.

Considering PPF or ceramic to protect the paint...whats the difference and do you recommend applying it to the whole car or just certain areas?

Tire size also seem to be a common complaint so I will look into that as well.

Any other changes or additions?
Sponsored

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
Is this car a daily driver? weekend toy? Show car? Track duty?

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Im in the process of purchasing a new 2019 CW. This will be my first car that I owned that I actually care about and want to keep in good condition for a long time.

Considering PPF or ceramic to protect the paint...whats the difference and do you recommend applying it to the whole car or just certain areas?

- Paint - That's personal preference, if you want to keep the car pristine get some clear coat when you buy it - if you're ok with minor touch up for the occasional rock chip go without. I went with option B

- Tire size - I'd just run the car first and see what you feel - I thought the same of you - bought the car - and even with rough roads in my area the tires / wheels are a non issue and I like the perfomance so I'm not anticipating changing

There isn't a lot 'needed to be done' with this car when new tbh. Some find things they want to change, others are good stock (I'm in the second category)

If I had to be pushed I'd maybe say get some speakers when you're ready?

Enjoy and good luck, but I'd just drive it for a bit and see what you feel needs adjustment. You could be surprised!

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
the only thing you MUST do imo is to get rid of the 20s especially if it is a daily driver.
I daily mine on the stock wheels with a slightly taller tire. I don't think its a MUST do to replace the wheels. I think it probably depends on the OPs local road conditions. But the stock tires won't last long either way.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I daily mine on the stock wheels with a slightly taller tire. I don't think its a MUST do to replace the wheels. I think it probably depends on the OPs local road conditions. But the stock tires won't last long either way.
slightly taller tire make sense. Something like a 35 series would still be an improvement over stock for sure.
I live in socal like he does and I use to pray every time i go over potholes and railroad tracks cause it hits hard lol. I guess it's not a MUST but i know of many people locally that have had bent rims and blow outs that i personally would rather not take my chances with and deal with in the event that it does happen.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
slightly taller tire make sense. Something like a 35 series would still be an improvement over stock for sure.
I live in socal like he does and I use to pray every time i go over potholes and railroad tracks cause it hits hard lol. I guess it's not a MUST but i know of many people locally that have had bent rims and blow outs that i personally would rather not take my chances with and deal with in the event that it does happen.
I think 19's are the best middle ground, but you don't really save on tires like you would 18's vs 20's. In addition to that, the selection for wheels with a good offset suck ass. I hate all this +35 garbage, like stock is +60....

Vanct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 CTR #20802, GE8 FIT
Country flag
For me, the "must do" thing was to get the spare tire kit. Not sure if it was a cost saving measure or a weight reduction thing, but I wish it was provided with the car already. I'd rather not wait an hour for a tow truck or have something damaged from the tow. In 10 minutes you could be done and on your way.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/spare-tire-for-type-r.12757/page-16

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag

Car front seat covers.

Film protector on the front of the car, with or without ceramic coating

Rear brake pads will go earlier than the front one, so keep an eye on that.

Oil change every 5k miles.

Watch for potholes, you can keep stock equipment as long as you remember where are the potholes.

Brake fluid change every year.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag

Paint protection film is a thin sheet of material that you put over your car to protect the paint from rock chips and other stuff. Due to the thinness of the paint Honda uses, this is highly recommended. Ceramic coating will make it easier to keep your car looking clean, but will not protect you from rock chips. There are some ceramic coatings designed to work with specific paint protection films, but may not work with all. Consult a detailer/manufacturer before doing a mix of the two.

See if you can deal with the thin tirewall and if it'll work for you. There are two major reasons to swap: 1) comfort as thinner tire walls means a stiffer ride which could be somewhat jarring and 2) tire selection as the stock tire size has a smaller selection of tires (a handful of winter and barely any, if any, recommendable all-season tires). If these two don't end up applying to you, then you can skip it. For me, the second issue became my primary reason to switch. The thin tire walls didn't bother me comfort-wise. There is a 3rd reason to swap and that is for performance gains (lighter wheels = less rotating mass = better brake and steering performance and more WHP due to less parasitic powertrain power loss). Note I did daily drive my car through the Chicago winter using the stock rims (used an all-season tire I really can't recommend, NeoGen). I eventually swapped rims to get PS AS3+ which performed much better during any weather condition compared to the NeoGen.

The other mods that are common would be an exhaust since the car could use one, though it doesn't need one, brake pads (if the dust/noise gets to you), an intercooler (if you start feeling the effects of a heat soaked intercooler), or a shift knob (if it begins scolding you in the summer months).

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
eighteen. inch. wheels.

245/40 tires

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
I agree with @Vanct, spare tire kit was one of the first things I added to the car, and I've used it once in the last year since buying the R, so it came in handy for me
Sponsored