What am I looking at here?

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
So for the pros, what am I looking at here ? Major, simple fix etc?

Honda Civic 10th gen What am I looking at here? E6B96C5D-D832-4B56-90F2-F7E2CE50148C
Sponsored

OP
OP
elusiveaura

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Really thought the sarcastic one would be a few posts in, not the 1st. lol. But theyā€™re all worthwhile so thanks.

Looks like you really smashed the transmission into something.

If it's not leaking, it's not a problem, but it is much weaker now. Be more careful and be aware that the next bump will take out your trans completely.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
(shrug) Looks good to me. If it ever goes south... having the insurance cover it as damage due to road debris rather than paying out-of-pocket would probably be cheaper.

Those finned parts are there for heat dissipation from my understanding. I once had to sand a few down to split a 4160E transmission in a Cadillac so I could replace a solenoid while the transmission was in the car. With the fins intact... I couldn't split the side over enough to have enough room to work. Getting rid of a couple gave me the precious inch or two I needed to get the job done. They're just solid aluminum fins added around any protrusions the maximize surface area. I might be 100% wrong... but I'm 83% sure I'm right.

OP
OP
elusiveaura

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
yep, my sentiment too. Just not sure what part of the car that is. Transmission housing, etc.

Every time I see something like that, the 1st thing that comes to mind is something is leaking.

jpmelfi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR #706, 07 S2k
Country flag
So that is the transmission housing for sure.. Just not sure if it is a leak or what.. Kind of hard to tell from the picture. Is there a leak above? or is it just in that one location. I would suggest wiping it off and seeing if it returns.

OP
OP
elusiveaura

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I donā€™t see a leak anywhere else but I could have missed. Kinda was refraining from wiping off since I thought about taking it to dealer to let them take a look at it to document at least. If I wiped off they could just say they didnā€™t see an issue. I was going to dealer tomorrow so Iā€™ll update this when I hear back. I need other stuff looked at too so figured Iā€™d bring it all up.

So that is the transmission housing for sure.. Just not sure if it is a leak or what.. Kind of hard to tell from the picture. Is there a leak above? or is it just in that one location. I would suggest wiping it off and seeing if it returns.

jpmelfi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR #706, 07 S2k
Country flag
I donā€™t see a leak anywhere else but I could have missed. Kinda was refraining from wiping off since I thought about taking it to dealer to let them take a look at it to document at least. If I wiped off they could just say they didnā€™t see an issue. I was going to dealer tomorrow so Iā€™ll update this when I hear back. I need other stuff looked at too so figured Iā€™d bring it all up.
Makes sense. Good luck.

REBELXSi

SeƱor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
This reminds me of when I changed out my RMM at 8k. It was dirty as hell and looked like there was a leak somewhere. There are a lot of spots under the car that look like that but it's just dirt. I think you're fine but it also looks like you hit something?

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
See what happens when you bring it to the dealer but Iā€™m guessing they are just going to clean it and have you come back in a week or two and theyā€™ll check to see if that area is leaking again.

That area you circled has a black cap which is a strainer cap. On that cap there is an O-ring that may be the culprit. See this link and the below pic. Why itā€™s leaking I donā€™t know. Could have gotten pinched during assembly? I donā€™t know...

Let us know what you find out.

https://www.hondafactoryparts.com/o...0PXR5cGUtci10b3VyaW5nJmU9Ni1zcGVlZC1tYW51YWw=

Honda Civic 10th gen What am I looking at here? 324B593D-36BD-48A3-A35A-93B98CE59EED

Honda Civic 10th gen What am I looking at here? 59DB5AA9-6C1B-46ED-9990-AC47F95B0732

OP
OP
elusiveaura

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You hit nail on the head. Theyā€™re replacing exactly what you said because it was in fact leaking. Parts coming from California so will be about a week. Said itā€™s a minor leak which is what I thought just from looking at it. Just didnā€™t know what area that part was. Thanks for the info.

Just wanted to mention this was not from hitting anything. This is the 2nd leak Iā€™ve had in this car. The other was my valve cover gasket replaced a few months ago from a small leak. Luckily most of my issues have been minor.

See what happens when you bring it to the dealer but Iā€™m guessing they are just going to clean it and have you come back in a week or two and theyā€™ll check to see if that area is leaking again.

That area you circled has a black cap which is a strainer cap. On that cap there is an O-ring that may be the culprit. See this link and the below pic. Why itā€™s leaking I donā€™t know. Could have gotten pinched during assembly? I donā€™t know...

Let us know what you find out.

https://www.hondafactoryparts.com/oem-parts/honda-o-ring-29-7x2-4-91307pr8005?c=Zz10cmFuc21pc3Npb24tbWFudWFsJnM9bXQtdHJhbnNtaXNzaW9uLWNhc2UtdHlwZS1yJmw9NiZuPUFzc2VtYmxpZXMgUGFnZSZhPWhvbmRhJm89Y2l2aWMtNS1kb29yJnk9MjAxOCZ0PXR5cGUtci10b3VyaW5nJmU9Ni1zcGVlZC1tYW51YWw=

324B593D-36BD-48A3-A35A-93B98CE59EED.jpeg

59DB5AA9-6C1B-46ED-9990-AC47F95B0732.jpeg

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
Yeah didnā€™t look like you hit something although at first without zooming it it does look like the tranny hit something but if you zoom in the printed numbers are still on the casing so no hit/scrape.

Glad itā€™s getting fixed and itā€™s nothing major. :thumbsup:

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Glad it is getting fixed.

Edit: I had an issue with my old Jeep's Transmission -It was a 2015 Cherokee and they are notorious for Transmission problems, but I was able to get the issue fixed because of a video I took after talking to a Service Manager, despite them never being able to replicate the issue.
Sponsored

Last edited: