What about the manual transmission?

Ten10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Accord
All this talk about the CVT but nothing about the manual transmission. Not surprised since the CVT is much more controversial and new.

But should we expect the same exact manual transmission from the current Civic? Honda hasn't mentioned any improvements or updates so I assume so.
Sponsored

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
Honda makes a great manual transmission. No reason to believe that will change. :D

It may be more talked about when the Si comes out or if another model has something other than just the base trim available with a manual. It's not much fun to think about rowing my own gears when they're driving steel wheels with covers... in 2015.

DrivenSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Honda Fit
I already mentioned this in another thread, but I was really looking forward to a manual 1.5 turbo. And yeah, hubcaps sounds horrible as the only manual option besides an si/R lol

NIN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas 4 life
Auto rev matching possible on next Si or Type R?
Seeing that feature on more and more manuals so eventually we'll probably see it on the performance model's manuals. I can definitely see it possibly coming to the CTR since that's really supposed to be a track car.

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
Seeing that feature on more and more manuals so eventually we'll probably see it on the performance model's manuals. I can definitely see it possibly coming to the CTR since that's really supposed to be a track car.
Better have a disable function if they want it to sell to true track day guys who should all know how to proper heel-toe.

paracivic68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic sedan 2013
Honda makes a great manual transmission. No reason to believe that will change. :D

It may be more talked about when the Si comes out or if another model has something other than just the base trim available with a manual. It's not much fun to think about rowing my own gears when they're driving steel wheels with covers... in 2015.
The ratio's are the same as the Honda Accord manual,look at the specs at the Honda site

Miguel

Threads
Reaction score
All this talk about the CVT but nothing about the manual transmission. Not surprised since the CVT is much more controversial and new.

But should we expect the same exact manual transmission from the current Civic? Honda hasn't mentioned any improvements or updates so I assume so.
With all this extra development time for the turbo model's manual transmission, I wouldn't be surprised to see an improved manual when it comes out next next Fall.

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
http://news.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=8705-en

"A 6-speed manual transmission (6MT) is standard on the Civic LX. The unit offers smooth and precise shift feel and great efficiency. Compared to the 5-speed manual transmission it replaces in the Civic, the 6-speed transmission has been carefully engineered to deliver state-of-the-art performance and shift action, with reduced internal friction, tighter internal tolerances and improved synchronizers. The transmission also has a more rigid aluminum exterior case, higher-capacity ball bearings, stiffer gear shafts, and greater torque capacity. Refinements to the shift linkage and selector mechanism produce a precise and smooth gear lever shift action. A new constant-mesh helical reverse gear mechanism significantly reduces noise when reverse is selected. A reverse lockout feature prevents the transmission from accidentally being shifted into reverse while the car is moving forward."

Manual Transmission Gear Ratio Comparison

Gear Ratio (X:1) ---------- 2015 Civic 1.8L (5MT) ---------- 2016 Civic 2.0L (6MT)

1st ----------------------------------- 3.143 ---------------------------------- 3.643

2nd ---------------------------------- 1.870 ---------------------------------- 2.080

3rd ----------------------------------- 1.235 ---------------------------------- 1.361

4th ----------------------------------- 0.949 ---------------------------------- 1.024

5th ----------------------------------- 0.727 ---------------------------------- 0.830

6th ------------------------------------- — ------------------------------------ 0.686

Reverse ----------------------------- 3.308 ---------------------------------- 3.673

Final Reduction Ratio -------------- 4.290 ---------------------------------- 4.105

Last edited:

BLKonBLK'16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16blkCIV '69nomad,'90toy4x4
Country flag
I can tell you that I really like mine. it is super smooth and easy shifting. long throw though. the big question is how much torque can it take.

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
It can probably handle the 2.0 turbo's output... What is most critical is regular fluid replacement. I'm looking at using TranSynd (TES-295) instead, with an early initial fluid replacement. TranSynd has close to the same viscosity as Honda's MTF II. It is a heavy duty long-life fully synthetic fluid formulated for Allison's automatic and manual transmissions. It is also used in many racing applications, where the best available synthetic fluid of that specific light viscosity is desired for use in a manual transmission.

You'll see many searching endlessly for a better synthetic fluid as many tried available fluids of a higher viscosity, then they always end up saying that the MTF II doesn't last long, but seems to be the only fluid that works well in your Honda manual transaxle.

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/F...57AA900531905/$File/Castrol_Transynd_2710.pdf

http://www.woodsbrosracing.com/amsoil/atd.htm
Sponsored

Last edited: