What A/C temperature is considered normal?

SugarRuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Hi Guys,

I am now suspecting the A/C system might have issue in my 2020 civic hatch EX. The symptom is that the A/C blows only cool air in the first 10 mins after starting. Today, I use a car thermometer to test it. The temperature records I got is 60-65°F in the first 5 mins, around 55°F in the 10th min, and around 50°F after 15 mins (stable after that point). Do you guys have any idea about it? (BTW, outside is 85-90°F and no direct sunlight). It is not warm or hot at all, but I just don't think it is cold as it was and the cooling speed is slow. Sometimes, I can even hear the hissing noise from the A/C but it is very rare.

It is only 18 months and 10k miles. I think it is under warranty. Anyone knows if they will charge a fee to diagnose the A/C without repairing work? I know if there is anything need to repair, it will be covered. But, my dealer just didn't like to solve my issues. I got an audio unit's long starting time issue and a window's rolling speed issue before, and they just took a look and say "Okay, they are just normal. We can't fix that... balabala".

It will be appreciated if you can leave your A/C temp with Lo and recirc settings. I would also like to know how long you guys' cars to blow ice-cold air and make the cabin cool when starting in summer.
Sponsored

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
The time it takes for my car to get cold air to start blowing in my car is around 10-15 min. This going based on the outside temp at 105f with direct sunlight blasting my ceramic tinted car. Inside of the car feels like it is 115+

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Honda states that a properly working A/C system should have a temperature difference from the blower motor intake to the vents of about 20F. So if you put a thermometer behind the glove box with a/c on, the temp coming out of the vents should be about 20F colder. If that's all too much, in the low 50s is normal. If it's blowing in the high 40s it's working amazing. Anything in the high 50's after a few minutes is a cause for concern. 60F+ and you have a leaking system.

It's regularly 115F where I'm at, inside a black interior/black car I've temp gun'd at 194F. It's a big strain on the A/C system to get rid of 194F of heat. A/C systems don't make cold air, they get rid of heat by transferring the heat from the inside via the evaporator to the outside via the condenser. Open all the windows for like 30 seconds when getting in the car and it will cool the car down drastically faster.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It is only 18 months and 10k miles. I think it is under warranty. Anyone knows if they will charge a fee to diagnose the A/C without repairing work? I know if there is anything need to repair, it will be covered. But, my dealer just didn't like to solve my issues. I got an audio unit's long starting time issue and a window's rolling speed issue before, and they just took a look and say "Okay, they are just normal. We can't fix that... balabala".
You are under the warranty period, it SHOULD be free, but as a technicality they will tell you that they may charge you a 1hr diagnostic fee. You shouldn't be charged, they throw this disclaimer out there if the fault is not covered, such as you ran into something and punched a hole in the condenser.

I've never seen any of the audio units have a "long start up time". They either fire up or they don't, never seen one take more than a few seconds to turn on. If you're complaining that some days its 3 seconds and others its 5 seconds, I would say no problem found as well. The solution is comparing to a known good vehicle. If they all do it, it's characteristic of the vehicle and replacing the audio unit will not fix your complaint.

Window rolling speed, if the windows are tinted this problem is not going to get addressed. The factory front windows are not tinted, if aftermarket tint was added this problem is now a result of modifying the OE product. Not covered. Remove the tint and it should be fine again. You've increased the glass thickness artificially and increased the drag in the window run channels, it will move slower.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sometimes, I can even hear the hissing noise from the A/C but it is very rare.
The hissing noise is normal. It's the refrigerant in the system circulating under a pressure differential. Comparable to opening a 20oz soda bottle the first time. It's fine. If it does it constantly while the a/c is running then you have a leak in the system and the charge is low.

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
You are under the warranty period, it SHOULD be free, but as a technicality they will tell you that they may charge you a 1hr diagnostic fee. You shouldn't be charged, they throw this disclaimer out there if the fault is not covered, such as you ran into something and punched a hole in the condenser.

I've never seen any of the audio units have a "long start up time". They either fire up or they don't, never seen one take more than a few seconds to turn on. If you're complaining that some days its 3 seconds and others its 5 seconds, I would say no problem found as well. The solution is comparing to a known good vehicle. If they all do it, it's characteristic of the vehicle and replacing the audio unit will not fix your complaint.

Window rolling speed, if the windows are tinted this problem is not going to get addressed. The factory front windows are not tinted, if aftermarket tint was added this problem is now a result of modifying the OE product. Not covered. Remove the tint and it should be fine again. You've increased the glass thickness artificially and increased the drag in the window run channels, it will move slower.
I never heard of window tint slowing down a window. My window still moves at normal speeds. I can only think of someone skirting around tint laws with some thick m3 tint for houses that might slow down the window. As for the radio, sometimes it can crash and the restart time can range from 1-5 min depending on the internal head unit temperature and if the unit itself knows it needs to restart when it freezes. That’s apparently normal for it. Idk why force resets take longer than shutting off the car for 10sec and turning it back on lets the radio boot faster.

OP
OP
SugarRuy

SugarRuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag

Hi DRUSA,

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah. As you said, I emailed a dealer my AC temperature records and they said it is standard and if I take it to service but nothing wrong found, they will charge a diagnose fee.

My audio unit sometimes takes about 1 mins to start and sometimes only 10 seconds. I could tell the difference when starting. When it takes long time, there is only a Honda Logo showing on the screen, but when it takes shorter time, there are a Honda Logo and a blue HondaLink logo on the screen. As I am familiar with Android system, I would say the longer one is a full boot and the shorter one is like a 'instant power on'. A/C control and the guideline of back camera are not available during the long 1 minute starting time. Two videos are attached. Slow Start (abnormal), Fast Start(normal). Hopefully they can help you understand what I was talking?...

The window's rolling speed issue is only in one windows(Front Passenger side). The easiest way to find it is to rolling up the front two windows from the bottom. The Front Driver side's one will close faster then the abnormal frond passenger one close after about half second. Also, when I remotely open the windows(press unlock once, and hold unlock again) to the half way opening, the driver side front and rear windows are in the same level, but the passenger side front is about half inch higher than the rear one, which means the front one is slower when rolling. Dealer said the difference is normal and didn't want to check it... No tint on my windows.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As for the radio, sometimes it can crash and the restart time can range from 1-5 min depending on the internal head unit temperature and if the unit itself knows it needs to restart when it freezes.
Have you installed any apps on the unit or hacked the unit? Depending on the model year, updates are available for this issue.

OP
OP
SugarRuy

SugarRuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Have you installed any apps on the unit or hacked the unit? Depending on the model year, updates are available for this issue.
No APP installed and didn't hack the unit. Pure OEM system. I even tried unplug all the cables connected to the system.

The dealer tried to solve it twice. The first time, they reset the unit and the second time they just told me it is because of the cables connected and did nothing but let me unplug the cables... Both solutions don't work.
Sponsored