Not open for further replies.

Maverick1

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
You need I don't give a fuck money. That is relative. You've conflated that to "rich", whatever "rich" means to you. This is a goddamn Civic board, people are worried about the difference in payments between a Si and a Sport. Hint - we're talking dozens of dollars a month. This is where you hand wave and say pffft that's nothing. Congratulations, you're richer than most on this board. At least have the decency to recognize it.

I'm glad you have shit tons of spare time and a willingness to buy all the tools and supplies you need to do all that work. Your time is worth money, believe it or not. You may not value it, but I value my time and I don't want to HAVE to do maintenance because otherwise I can't afford it. Doing an oil change on a mid-engine car is not easy, no matter how much you want to poo-poo it. A shop charges $200 (More like 300-400) easy for an oil change on one. You never answered how many miles you put on it. My guess is it wasn't 100,000 miles.

How do you afford the Porsche in the first place unless you have money? Nobody gives loans for old ass cars, especially old ass luxury sports cars like Porsche. You're paying out of pocket or you're taking on an incredibly bad loan. And you can't count on depreciation being the only expense - there is the off chance your Porsche needs serious work when you own it, serious work that would blow the hole in the budget of any average American. Serious work that is needed or your Porsche that has great resale value in good condition is now worth almost nothing. That is not a risk that a person without money should take.

I said earlier I've owned 2x BMW 3-series. Your snobbery is unwarranted. Compared to Hondas I've owned, they were a complete pain in the ass. They are not set it and forget it cars.
Just curious, but you are one of the very few people on this forum to regularly use profanity and vulgar language. Why?
It's really not necessary, and really shows your immaturity.
I'm sure, but I'm probably not the only one on here who really does not appreciate it.
Let me ask, do you have an anger management issue because using excessive profanity is a sign.
Just saying.
Regarding doing my own maintenance, I really enjoy working on my cars, as it's very educational, and not a chore at all, quite therapeutic and a great use of my time.
Just to let you know, many people who own sports cars do their own maintenance, as it helps them learn more about their cars.
Sponsored

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All, I apologize to @leehom as I unfortunately didn't read back into the thread far enough to know what he was truly disagreeing with, that "Honda reliability is the driver for CTR resale value." While I think the brand's reputation for reliability and high overall resale value helps, I think that's just a small part of what's happening. The CTR is an enthusiast car that in the NA market has a ton of hype, not a ton of supply, and is going to be purchased by enthusiasts who flip cars a lot which keeps the used market relatively stocked but even then, there aren't THAT many out there for used prices. Factor in ADMs and the actual performance of the car, and the "resale value" is pumped up more than an ordinary car.

It was a misunderstanding and I appreciate the PM to help find a common ground from him.

Carry on :)

leehom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, back at it again
Country flag
Regarding doing my own maintenance, I really enjoy working on my cars, as it's very educational, and not a chore at all, quite therapeutic and a great use of my time.
Just to let you know, many people who own sports cars do their own maintenance, as it helps them learn more about their cars.
True, I enjoy maintaining my own vehicles too. It takes less time to do my own maintenance vs driving to a shop and waiting in a queue for substandard quality of work. At least when we do our own maintenance, we know we're doing a job well done. With a shop (even the dealership), it's like Russian roulette.

scoobysnack

First Name
no
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2008 Volvo C30, 2009 Infiniti G37
Country flag
Yet you made a reply.

1. Who compared the CTR to Miata/S2k? Yes the CTR will destroy them on a track.
2. Resale value on a Porsche GT3/GT4 is over msrp. Resale value on the CTR is based more off supply/demand over reliability.
3. Honda transmission grind is a issue that Honda has not recognized. Luckily Honda addressed the wiring harness, or are we not counting this as a defect? Great engineering right?
4. Congrats and welcome to the Honda family. Nobody is calling you a fanboy and why are you defending yourself?

I like how you made a blanket statement on how I'm incorrect, yet provide no evidence to support your claims.

So who was it that started a post defending their position with the following statement, “I'm a Honda fanboy if anything.” oh, that was you? Ok.

And I believe it was you who said reliability has nothing to do with engineering. Engineers would sure take you to task on that one.

A quick review of your comments shows a history of making bold, false statements and then getting butt-hurt when folks call you out.

But by all means. Keep posting about German engineering and how great Honda used to be...here in a CTR forum. Makes about as much sense as anything else you’ve said.

Last edited:

KevinMO91

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Champ white Type R 2011 Si Taff white sedan
Easy reason why people are selling the car, they can make a profit off the car. Someone I know traded in their 2017 with over 11k to a dealer for MSRP aka 35k and thats on a trade in imagine if they tried private party. I don't think as many people are selling the cars as you think,there's like 7500 CTRs in the US so what's like 20 or less for sale even a couple hundred isn't a statistical dent overall. So what do you mean by "so many" ? The reason why the person I know traded their car in was he felt it wasn't "exclusive" enough for him and quite a few people feel this way so they are taking advantage of the fact the car is still worth so much.

Fun is an opinion, and at least to me this car is fun. It accomplishes everything I wanted it to, fun, easy to live with daily driver with plenty of room. The reason question is why does anyone care why anyone else sells their car or what they think about it. No matter how many type R's are built or traded in and sold mine isn't gonna magically be any less fun. I make the payments and no one else, so therefore anyone else's opinions are just that.

scoobysnack

First Name
no
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2008 Volvo C30, 2009 Infiniti G37
Country flag
Pretty much everything you have said thus far is inaccurate at best. I wont waste much of my time on you but heres a couple points:

1) The CTR out of the box will lap your Miata or S2000 under pretty much any conditions;
2) German quality - dont make me laugh. I dont care how many porche lovers pipe up to offer their anecdotal defenses, I'll let the resale value prove my point
3) CTR or "honda" tranny grind issues - well maybe, not here. And not on most of the CTRs here. Take a psychology or stats class. Those with issues are most likely to show up in these forums but are not in any way representative of the larger CTR ownership population;
4) My CTR is my first honda. Prior cars were 1969 chevelle, 1996 Altima, 2008 Volvo C30, and now this. In no way could I ever be characterized as a honda fanboy, so dont even go there.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1028795

I can drown you in bmw issues from forums. And for every hundred BMW issues i’ll give you twice as many VW issues. What’s funny is that it’s common knowledge you don’t buy a BMW, you lease them. I paid cash for my CTR so stepping into a BMW would have been easy. But I wouldn’t pay for that mess. They’re great off the lot and then it’s one thing after another. Again, this is common knowledge.

Last edited:

leehom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, back at it again
Country flag
So who was it that started a post defending their position with the following statement, “I'm a Honda fanboy if anything.” oh, that was you? Ok.

And I believe it was you who said reliability has nothing to do with engineering. Engineers would sure take you to task on that one.

A quick review of your comments shows a history of making bold, false statements and then getting butt-hurt when folks call you out.
Someone called me a BMW fanboy and I replied that I'm a Honda fanboy if anything, I don't see what the issue with that is? Thanks for reading my post history, I guess that validates all your points and proves I'm totally wrong on everything. I apologize for spreading misinformation from me, my family and friends experiences with Honda's because Honda's are 100% reliable and incapable of defects. How dare J&D rate Honda reliability as average. They should be above Lexus/Toyota. J&D are probably fanboys or just flat out wrong too.

Honda Civic 10th gen What’s with all the used CTRs? 2018016a

I don't see a point in replying to everyone because some people make a big deal over nothing and it's not worth it when their ignorance is obvious.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1028795

I can drown you in bmw issues from forums. And for every hundred BMW issues i’ll give you twice as many VW issues. What’s funny is that it’s common knowledge you don’t buy a BMW, you lease them. I paid cash for my CTR so stepping into a BMW would have been easy. But I wouldn’t pay for that mess. They’re great off the lot and then it’s one thing after another. This is common knowledge.
I don't disagree that German vehicles are less reliable than their Japanese counterparts. VW/Audi is one of the worst and I would never own one despite how sexy their appearances are. You're bringing up points that no one is debating about. Who mentioned purchasing over leasing? Congrats on having your vehicle paid off. If there were more people like you, there might be less people trying to sell their CTR's.

Last edited:

Maverick1

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
True, I enjoy maintaining my own vehicles too. It takes less time to do my own maintenance vs driving to a shop and waiting in a queue for substandard quality of work. At least when we do our own maintenance, we know we're doing a job well done. With a shop (even the dealership), it's like Russian roulette.
You know I started doing my own maintenance when I took my car to my mechanic and he let a rookie mechanic work on it, and when he removed the oil filter he neglected to take the gasket off and when he put the new oil filter on it had two gaskets, so when I left and drove home all the oil leaked out of the engine.
Luckily the red light came on on the dash for low oil and I pulled right over and shut it off and save the engine but learned a valuable lesson, when you want a job done right you do it yourself.

leehom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, back at it again
Country flag
I think the jd power study is based on 3 years of ownership. Even a vw/audi/bmw can make it 3 years. They’re built to make it until the end of the lease and then...

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...-best-cars-to-get-to-200000-miles-and-beyond/
Again, I agree with you that Japanese cars are more reliable. Keeping it real tho, how many people actually keep their vehicles up to 200,000 miles? Most people I know get rid of their vehicles around 10 years or 100,000 miles.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
Just curious, but you are one of the very few people on this forum to regularly use profanity and vulgar language. Why?
It's really not necessary, and really shows your immaturity.
I'm sure, but I'm probably not the only one on here who really does not appreciate it.
Let me ask, do you have an anger management issue because using excessive profanity is a sign.
Just saying.
Wow. If you have a problem with my colorful language, you can stop reading it. I don't really care, you don't really bring anything to the table with your porsche posts.

Do you know the sign of someone who has nothing to argue? Someone who starts attacking language instead of the argument. This is the third or fourth time you've resorted to this. Come on now.

I like changing my own oil but sometimes I simply do not have the time. It's nice to know I could get full synthetic for about $30 in a pinch at any shop in town. That is simply not the case for German cars and it's unfair to say the cost is reasonable without exploring the sunk cost of changing your own oil - you need your own space, you need ramps/jack, you need something to drain the oil into, you need the right wrenches, maybe an oil filter wrench and in Porsche's case, you need something to reset the computer. If you fuck up, you need to consider the cost of fixing a stripped drain plug or what happens if you run the car with too much or too little oil. Yeah, a few times and you got it down, but not without risk.

Do you know what wealthy people have? Toys. That's why you're talking about a 2005 Porsche Boxster like it's a sound car choice for people who aren't wealthy - because it wasn't your daily driver and it wasn't your only car and it sounds like you don't have any family or kids to carry. Or trying to say a GT3/GT4 is actually really great decisions financially. It's totally absurd. Wealthy people have at least two cars and the ability to have a car out of commission so they do work on it. That way, they can save money at the Porsche dealer! Great money saving tip, spend 1k instead of 3k! Luxuries that the average person can't really stretch to afford, no matter how much you downplay the cost because it's not a lot to YOU.

Last edited:

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
Again, I agree with you that Japanese cars are more reliable. Keeping it real tho, how many people actually keep their vehicles up to 200,000 miles? Most people I know get rid of their vehicles around 10 years or 100,000 miles.
JD Power dependability is a decent marker, but the first three years means they're measuring things like, "My alignment felt off" and "One new car rattle". I believe there is no weighting, so if your transmission craps out and your paint has rock chips and you ding the manufacturer for it, it's considered the same failure of dependability.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...-best-cars-to-get-to-200000-miles-and-beyond/

Not a single German car. 0. None. This is the important one - what cars will keep running, what cars will have resale and what cars are still running because they were *worth fixing*.

lol, I brought up the 100k mark before and you ignored me. Now it's, "What plebs keep a car past 100,000 miles anyways?" And you think 10,000 miles a year is average? Where do you live and work, Manhattan? Commuters in my state are regularly putting 15k-25k a year on their cars.

Talk about elitism. I put almost 200k on my first Honda. I'm very glad it never let me down.

German cars suck balls unless you have I don't give a fuck money. I haven't seen anyone make a dent in this argument, but boy, two people really got upset about it.

Last edited:

kevv_FK8

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2022 Honda Pilot SE, 2013 Honda Civic
Country flag
There are articles like Drive - The 2017 Honda Civic Type R Breaks the Front-Wheel Drive Curse (http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/11...vic-type-r-breaks-the-front-wheel-drive-curse). People (including me) who buy CTRs are reading articles like these. The reality is these car reviewers drive cars for a few days and write their review. I don't know about you, but the CTR isn't close to a proper RWD sport car (Miata, S2000, etc.). The CTR is a great car and it's fast. But it's not fun.

Should have kept the S2000. :(
maybe not fun to you, but I think its a very fun car to drive. I still don't get your point, why would this car need to be similar to a rwd one? The CTR kills both those cars on a track but if rwd experience is what you after then yes you should have kept your s2k.

kevv_FK8

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2022 Honda Pilot SE, 2013 Honda Civic
Country flag
Bmw F36 owner here. I'm not blown off by the Bmw quality really. I test drove the FK8 CTR and I think the interior quality difference is minimal(unless you talk about Individual and expensive leather types). Bmws are ok they offer better compromise than the average cars(this has a price). However CTR offers a better compromise towards sportiness that I'm seeking. I consider even trading off the F36 for a CTR.
The only thing that worries me is the transmission issue so present until now + Honda being evasive in owning it. I guess I'll wait this facelift to see if things are improved. If so then count me in.
if it makes you feel better I haven't had any tranny issues as of yet

Status
Not open for further replies.