What’s Too Stiff? (BC Racing Coilovers)

cestjoel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I’m buying a set of BC Racing BR coilovers. I’m only looking to drop the car no more than an inch max. I’m mostly using these for street driving. These coilovers have spring rates of 8kg/7kg (F/R). Is that considered too stiff for daily street driving in SoCal?

Thanks!
Sponsored

incutebus

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FR-S, 21 Mk5 3.0 Supra, Lexus F-Sport
Country flag
I’m buying a set of BC Racing BR coilovers. I’m only looking to drop the car no more than an inch max. I’m mostly using these for street driving. These coilovers have spring rates of 8kg/7kg (F/R). Is that considered too stiff for daily street driving in SoCal?

Thanks!
I'm running 425/400 which is around 7.5/7kg and it's almost unbearable and definitely wished I went with a less aggressive springrate. A few headaches here and there, just make sure you keep enough travel so you don't bounce on those shitty SoCal roads. If dailying is important to you, I'd drop those down another 1-2kg for front and rear and it'll be amazing for the streets with great benefit on a track as well.

OP
OP
cestjoel

cestjoel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I'm running 425/400 which is around 7.5/7kg and it's almost unbearable and definitely wished I went with a less aggressive springrate. A few headaches here and there, just make sure you keep enough travel so you don't bounce on those shitty SoCal roads. If dailying is important to you, I'd drop those down another 1-2kg for front and rear and it'll be amazing for the streets with great benefit on a track as well.
Just as I suspected. Thanks for the info! They come from the factory at 6kg/5kg. Im actually considering going 5kg/4kg or even 4.5kg/3.5kg. You think that would too soft?

fist4064

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T 6MT Coupe, 2013 Nissan Frontier SV
Country flag
Do you think the Swift spring upgrade is worth it on the BC coilovers???

incutebus

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FR-S, 21 Mk5 3.0 Supra, Lexus F-Sport
Country flag
Just as I suspected. Thanks for the info! They come from the factory at 6kg/5kg. Im actually considering going 5kg/4kg or even 4.5kg/3.5kg. You think that would too soft?
Going down to 4.5/3.5 you're almost nearing stock ride for the SI which is a bit stiffer than the standard civic.. maybe 10% stiffer? I forget. Anyways it'd be about 20% stiffer than stock, so if you value ride quality, then yes. Since you're not dropping your car down that low going with a softer springrate is fine. I think anything higher than 4/3 is pretty excessive for this car anyways unless you're an autocross maniac. If I could do it over again, I would probably go with the 5/4 if you plan on dropping it around an inch; if you're slamming it, then you'll probably need to stick to factory settings from bcracing.