Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Oh heck yeah thank you so much! I'll check it out even though I have a 1.5 L. I'll see about doing it today and report back to you.
On the 1.5T the PCV valve is behind the leftmost cylinder coil, close to the oil filler, bolted to the valve cover (the yellow Ding). Can't be easier to replace. No hoses attached to it, it's all inside.
On my civic it's 17130-59B-003, less than $30.

Honda Civic 10th gen What’s maintenance that people should do to their civic once in a while W8A3Oe0Av5odHg?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none
Sponsored

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
On the 1.5T the PCV valve is behind the leftmost cylinder coil, close to the oil filler, bolted to the valve cover (the yellow Ding). Can't be easier to replace. No hoses attached to it, it's all inside.
On my civic it's 17130-59B-003, less than $30.

W8A3Oe0Av5odHg?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none.jpg
Thanks man! It's been raining today so I won't be able to check, but I just ordered some MAF spray to clean it up a bit when I finally take it out. My car only has 34k miles and my MPG is around 36. I really don't think I need to change it at all, but it'll be a nice thing to maintain!

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks man! It's been raining today so I won't be able to check, but I just ordered some MAF spray to clean it up a bit when I finally take it out. My car only has 34k miles and my MPG is around 36. I really don't think I need to change it at all, but it'll be a nice thing to maintain!
Today was nice! I changed my friend's Audi A4 engine oil and oil filter for her. God, I hate German engineering lol! But anyway, after that, I checked up on my PCV valve. According to the service manuals for the 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback LX, you can test your PCV valve by turning on your engine, pinching the rubber hose to the right of it that leads into the intake manifold (the same one that you take out when putting in an oil catch can), and hearing if the PCV valve "clicks" which means it's in working condition. It's hard to do this perhaps, as the engine is quite loud during operation. Also, since I have an oil catch can installed, I'm not sure if it even works for me anyway,

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
in these engines its so easy to remove it, you might as well do it,

remove it and shake it, if it shakes fine, its okay,

of you clean your PCV valve often enough it can last the lifetime of the vehicle
Thanks for that response! I'll definitely check on it today now that it isn't raining haha

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I went ahead and sprayed my MAF with some MAF spray, which was a very easy job haha. I forgot to plug the connector back in so my car wasn't very happy when I started it back up whoops haha!

Anyway, I tried to get to the PCV valve (The yellow thing you see in the third picture) but ugh it's in a very inconvenient location and I do not feel comfortable taking off anything around it. Check it out, and this is for the 1.5 L Turbo engine, L15B7. Any help on how to proceed would be appreciated!

Honda Civic 10th gen What’s maintenance that people should do to their civic once in a while 20200528_192446
Honda Civic 10th gen What’s maintenance that people should do to their civic once in a while 20200528_192443
Honda Civic 10th gen What’s maintenance that people should do to their civic once in a while 20200528_192440

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
i am not understanding or seeing why that is so difficult,

it looks very simple in the pics
There are two connections around it blocking good access to it. I should probably take another picture to the side, but there isn't much clearance there as well.

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
i have the honda service manual,

it doesnt say to remove anything else,

it just says remove the PCV bolt and pull it out

so their cant be anything in the way, or maybe you have to just pull a hose slightly out of the way with your hand
That black electrical connector to the fuel system (I think?) Can probably be moved, but I don't know how to do that safely. My tools are too long lol!

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I went ahead and did it! I remembered a trick I used to loosen my brake fluid bolt, smack the wrench with another wrench :p

For 33k miles, the PCV valve sure had a lot of oil on it! Cleaned it with some MAF fluid. It still rattled and the o-rings were okay so I just went ahead and put it back all cleaned. Thanks for the preventative maintenance! @jerryvvv

Honda Civic 10th gen What’s maintenance that people should do to their civic once in a while 20200529_132004

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I made a boo boo today while trying to customize my screen in my car. I have a 2018 Honda Civic Ex and I accidentally reset my MM. the only thing I reset was the oil and oil filter which was changed @ 26,001 miles and I’m at 28,504. When I accidentally reset it, it was showing 80% oil life. So I haven’t had it for that long. Maybe a few days? But when should I change my oil and if I change it at 80% will it reset automatically? I thought about taking it to the Honda dealership nearby but idk what it needs now? It went from main code B to main code A. But before I reset it, it was showing B 1 2 7 codes. But with it having the oil changed at 26,001 should I go ahead and change it around 3,000 miles?

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i would change your oil when it gets down to 40%

the MM does not reset automatically when you change the oil, its up to you (or the person changing the oil) to reset it,

the computer has no way of knowing the oil has been changed, unless you reset the MM manually
Okay. That makes sense. It doesn’t automatically reset unless you reset it manually. I just didn’t think about it until it was to late. Normally I would change my oil every 3,000 miles and may just take it in to the dealership when it’s due for its first oil change. This is my first Honda so I wanna baby it lol ? but do you have to reset it every time you maintenance the vehicle other than the oil changes and oil filter?

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
3,000 miles is way too soon to be changing your oil, this aint the 80's or 90's anymore,

you should be getting at least 5,000 miles between oil changes, and i would say that as a bare minimum,

i normally change mine when the MM gets down to 20%, and normally at that time i have put on 7-10,000 miles

you need to reset every code, after the service has been performed, if your having your service done at honda, they should be doing that for you, so you shouldn't ever have to worry about it,

the computer has no way of knowing when services have been completed without you (or the shop) telling it so, by resetting it,

just make sure when you pick the vehicle up from service that your oil guage is at 100%.....if its not, tell them about it
So I should wait til about 20% oil life before changing the oil? Not down to 80% because I accidentally reset it back to 100%? I just wanna bs safe and not change it to early or to late. Normally on my suv I would change it every 3,000 miles or so but since I have the Honda before, I checked the maintenance record and it showed all services were done at the same dealership where I bought my car.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Properly inflate and rotate the tires.

Especially if tuned. If a tune doesn't have good BBG Settings, or the driver is just taking every opportunity to mash the throttle from a stop, uneven wear can result. That can lead to having to replace all four tires early rather than two at a time. Plus, a tire warranty is voided if regular rotations aren't performed.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
for your NEXT OIL CHANGE ONLY........change it at 40%, this is because you messed up by resetting the MM, if the dealership asks you why your changing it early, explain to them what you did,

for FUTURE OIL CHANGES......i would recommend changing it at 20%, i personally never let mine go below 20% just to be safe, but you can let it go down to 10-15% if you want to, its your car

i change it a bit early to give the MM a little margin for error, the MM doesn't really KNOW the condition of the oil, its only estimating the condition of the oil
Last change, I let MM bug me nonstop at 0% for like 500mi. I sent the oil to be analyzed, and the results and recommendation were that I could easily increase my interval another 1000-1500mi. I also change the filter with every oil change, so that may be helping my numbers.

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Properly inflate and rotate the tires.

Especially if tuned. If a tune doesn't have good BBG Settings, or the driver is just taking every opportunity to mash the throttle from a stop, uneven wear can result. That can lead to having to replace all four tires early rather than two at a time. Plus, a tire warranty is voided if regular rotations aren't performed.
I don’t think the car is tuned. It’s a basic car with all stock parts. Nothing has been done as far as modifications. I thought about changing the muffler out but if I do anything like that I’m sure it’ll void the warranty. I have extended warranty. So once my limited warranty goes out, I’ll still have the extended warranty in place.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don’t think the car is tuned. It’s a basic car with all stock parts. Nothing has been done as far as modifications. I thought about changing the muffler out but if I do anything like that I’m sure it’ll void the warranty. I have extended warranty. So once my limited warranty goes out, I’ll still have the extended warranty in place.
That will not void your warranty. I know it's an uphill and expensive battle not worth fighting to combat Honda saying an aftermarket part is voiding coverage of something... But unless it is installed so horribly it plugs the exhaust line, them saying a muffler voids anything is like telling you an air freshener voided your warranty.

Didn't see you have 2.0L... Don't think that's much of a tire-shredder.

Regular fluid checks, brake fluid and oil changes, filter replacement, and the like are all you need to worry about. Take the car to a mechanic to have the suspension inspection and valve clearance adjustment per the maintenance schedule. Should be a relatively low-maintenance vehicle.
Sponsored