OP
OP

cariboublue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2004 Mazda 3
Country flag
I'll be honest, it depends on the driver. When I went the first time I wasn't exactly pushing my car to the limit as I was getting a feel for the car itself. Once i got confident and learned the track that made me start to look at the weaknesses.

Outside of insurance, all the expensive items are dependent on you as a driver and how hard you drive the car. I say go once and see how you like it. I much preferred the track experience personally, but you never know till you experience it.

The car in stock form is plenty fun on a track before you will need to start digging into cooling mods etc. You're amount of hot laps will depend on your driving ability and temp of course. Some of the other FK8's will even take you for a ride along so you can see the net positive's of some of the mods you may be curious about as well. Just food for thought.

That makes sense, and you are probably right that I'll enjoy it more. I've driven tracks with cars that aren't mine and it was a blast.
Sponsored

Sleepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 CW
Country flag
That makes sense, and you are probably right that I'll enjoy it more. I've driven tracks with cars that aren't mine and it was a blast.
I quickly realized how badly i needed 200W tires and better brake pads haha. As long as you learn to respond to the feedback your car is giving you shouldn't have any issues.

1sloazfk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I quickly realized how badly i needed 200W tires and better brake pads haha. As long as you learn to respond to the feedback your car is giving you shouldn't have any issues.
Honestly all you need once you start pushing the car, tires can last a few months and pads a few events if you drive conservatively.

OP
OP

cariboublue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2004 Mazda 3
Country flag
This car is so easy to respond to. Even with the VSA fully off it was so compliant and easy to correct mistakes. I rode in my brother's GT3 and it was a whole different vibe haha.

The oversteer with it off was surprising.

Last edited:

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
I agree with the others suggesting track days rather that autocross. Yes, they are more expensive especially with consumables, but the time on track blows autocross out of the water. There are many skills used in autocross that I likely don't have but the thrill of track driving makes the Type R so enjoyable you'll become addicted very quickly. (Can't say you weren't warned). BTW, I have track driven my street cars for over 20 years with no significant damage etc.......yet. One big advantage is no speeding tickets etc. Once you have handled a few high speed laps, you won't be bothered to try that on the street.
Sponsored