Well, !@#$. Only took me a week to bend a wheel.

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R, 2023 Indian Sport Chief
Country flag
With 100 miles on the car I replaced the stock wheels/tires with 19" Motegi's and Continentals. Did my best to avoid a pothole last week but while washing the car today I discovered that my deft maneuvering was inadequate. TireRack's road hazard coverage only covers the tires. The tire is holding the bead, and the bend is fairly minor - can anyone recommend what my best route is here? Only 500 miles on them.

Thanks,
--Sam

Honda Civic 10th gen Well, !@#$.  Only took me a week to bend a wheel. 84358943_10157403375518071_382426692649484288_o
Sponsored

OP
OP
unholy79

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just got a quote from a wheel repair place an hour away, $130 to fix the bend, $160 to fix the bend and refinish the wheel. Likely going to have it fixed and make this bent wheel my spare. Wheel itself cost $260. While I wonder if I might be able to make it visually less bent with a block of wood and a hammer... I'm thinking I'll probably take the paid repair route.

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don't feel bad. I was t-boned less than 72 hours after buying my 2020 hatch.

OP
OP
unholy79

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Don't feel bad. I was t-boned less than 72 hours after buying my 2020 hatch.
Sorry to hear that, definitely puts things in perspective. Hopefully you fared better than the car!

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry to hear that, definitely puts things in perspective. Hopefully you fared better than the car!
I walked away with just a few burns (from the airbags) and some tightness/soreness in my sides, neck, and shoulder. Got my whip back from the shop on Christmas Eve and have been cruising around since.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
Ugh, frustrating when that happens but at least the tire was covered!

As mentioned, your best bet is to check with a reputable wheel repair business in your area - that dent should be fixable at a decent price.
Just want to say, you guys are the best. Shout out to the 6214 Charlotte Pike store in Nashville - the manager there is awesome. John I think?

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
I would hit it with a dead blow (soft blow) hammer to get the bend out before paying someone else to do it.

Discount Tire

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things Honda
Country flag
Just want to say, you guys are the best. Shout out to the 6214 Charlotte Pike store in Nashville - the manager there is awesome. John I think?
That's awesome to hear; thank you for the shout out to the store in Nashville!

We'll be sure to share your comments with their team :headbang:

Last edited:
OP
OP
unholy79

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would hit it with a dead blow (soft blow) hammer to get the bend out before paying someone else to do it.
I'd never even heard of a 'dead blow' hammer before (had to Google it). Buddy of mine suggested a hammer and a piece of wood. My main concerns with trying it myself is doing more damage to the wheel or breaking the bead.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I'd never even heard of a 'dead blow' hammer before (had to Google it). Buddy of mine suggested a hammer and a piece of wood. My main concerns with trying it myself is doing more damage to the wheel or breaking the bead.
Honestly the wheel is so cheap why not. Even fixing it after you attempt to fix it will be the same cost from that repair shop. Also since the wheel is fairly inexpensive I'd hit it with a sledgehammer - f-it.

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
Don't fret my friend! You can not hurt the wheel with controlled blows and you will feel VERY proud of yourself. You could not break the bead with the dead blow even if you were purposely striking the tire.

Wood will be abrasive but a Harbor Freight 2lb dead blow hammer won't hurt the finish but if worried, put an old tshirt on the rim before you hit it. Keep in mind accuracy is important.

**** the pothole bent it under savage duress, you will merely gently persuade it back to where it started. In other words...
YOU < POTHOLE

OP
OP
unholy79

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I took to it with a 28oz dead blow hammer earlier after getting the wheel a little warmer than room temperature. I'm not entirely sure if I made any progress (need to compare before and after, it's not back to round yet). Bead is still holding, mechanic ran a leak test and that went fine. Also got an alignment, right side was out of course.

The mechanic did tell me that they recommend getting an alignment any time I change from my 20's to my 19's and visa versa due to changes in the car's geometry. I will say that my steering wheel was slightly askew (to the right) after going from 20 to 19, but I'm not certain if that's valid advice or if it was just a way to sell more alignments.

I may give it another go on that wheel when it warms up over the weekend, or just wait to run to that repair shop down in NJ.

blackhawk867

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21436
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I took to it with a 28oz dead blow hammer earlier after getting the wheel a little warmer than room temperature. I'm not entirely sure if I made any progress (need to compare before and after, it's not back to round yet). Bead is still holding, mechanic ran a leak test and that went fine. Also got an alignment, right side was out of course.

The mechanic did tell me that they recommend getting an alignment any time I change from my 20's to my 19's and visa versa due to changes in the car's geometry. I will say that my steering wheel was slightly askew (to the right) after going from 20 to 19, but I'm not certain if that's valid advice or if it was just a way to sell more alignments.

I may give it another go on that wheel when it warms up over the weekend, or just wait to run to that repair shop down in NJ.

I'd be interesting in someone more knowledgable chiming in as well. I run 18's in the winter and the stock 20's in the summer, but don't get an alignment when swapping and don't notice any skew normally. If it does change something though, I'd be more inclined to do alignments more often.

Whoneedsknow

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1 week after buying my new wheels I curbed them. I haven't hit a curb since I was in my early 20s but I finally get the wheels I've been wanting since I was 15 (19 years ago) and scrape. ..... Just barely barely barely but got both passenger side and it looked awful-- like way worse than it seemed. Pressed double black is a hard color to match. If anyone knows the lip color or how to find a paint that matches please let me know.

The wheels
Ray's VolkTE37sl 18x9.5 pressed double black
Honda Civic 10th gen Well, !@#$.  Only took me a week to bend a wheel. 20200215_124606
View attachment 200258 View attachment 200259

Honda Civic 10th gen Well, !@#$.  Only took me a week to bend a wheel. 20200124_103335

Honda Civic 10th gen Well, !@#$.  Only took me a week to bend a wheel. 20200124_103222

Honda Civic 10th gen Well, !@#$.  Only took me a week to bend a wheel. 20200207_142431

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0