Well, I'm knocking.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
How can they say water got in the motor without any proof? How does that even slide legally? A lawyer would have a field day with this..
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sgtstaadanko

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How can they say water got in the motor without any proof? How does that even slide legally? A lawyer would have a field day with this..
Things are a bit different up here in the great white.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So just to understand this right. They haven’t found any signs of a tune, but they are blaming you that you somehow got water into the engine. Denying the warranty because of that, without any better details or proof? =S
Lets remember Honda Canada may work different than Honda US. We already know of one Canada motor that blew. The user claimed warranty and Honda sent out a tech to inspect the engine and car. Of course he had over revved the engine but the owner also claimed honda tech told him they could tell the ecu had been flashed. Anyhow, in the end Honda could tell mr Sgt. here he isnt covered in the end so he is just biting the bullet now so he can have his car back more quickly.

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
Lets remember Honda Canada may work different than Honda US. We already know of one Canada motor that blew. The user claimed warranty and Honda sent out a tech to inspect the engine and car. Of course he had over revved the engine but the owner also claimed honda tech told him they could tell the ecu had been flashed. Anyhow, in the end Honda could tell mr Sgt. here he isnt covered in the end so he is just biting the bullet now so he can have his car back more quickly.
Yeah, I don't blame him. If he kept pushing, not only would it take forever but the dealer would probably eventually have someone higher up come inspect, finding all the actual legitimate reasons to void. The end result would likely be the same. $3500 CAD really isn't bad at all for an engine and install.

Jamroxorz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well that’s shitty, but I guess 3500$ is reasonable to get everything done and up and running again. I live in Canada as well.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mean if he caused it to fail it’s a different story, but if he in fact didn’t, that would be a load of horse poo poo.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah... this one's just wonky on their side. I would think they'd want to pretty definitively have a reason why they want to deny a claim. The hydrolock seems like a cop out. If they want to call it 'user abuse' w/proof then.. sure. But the dealer pulling 'hydrolock' out of thin air seems crooked. Flashing back to stock if the damage was due to a bad/tune and abuse is bad too... and I know two wrongs don't make a right. Just seems like a lot of wrong, no matter what. I feel for you. It's a tough situation to be in. $3500 CAN sounds like a pretty reasonable cost for a not-super-common-yet-at-a-junkyard low mileage engine and dealer install.

I guess if there aren't laws to provide protection for you, it puts the burden of proof on the owner and not the business.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If pursued, the only eventual winner would be the lawyer - the dealer & Honda at worst break even (Liability Insurance pays their cost) Sgt... at best waits years gets a few bucks (and gives most of it to the lawyer); at worst he's in jail for fraud. The dealer may be wrong or lying about hydrolock but deeper digging will likely reveal the root cause and it won't be a random failure.

Last edited:

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
Sourced my own engine for 1500$ cdn, the only positive so far is the new motor only has 6000km on it, they quoted 9 hours for install and 6 hours for diagnostic. So close to 2000$ for labor. All in all not as bad as I thought, but still not good. I'm going this route because fighting the warranty claim through the proper channels can take months and I need a car.
6 hours for past diagnostics already done? Can't someone else do the engine swap labor for less? Could you just keep your engine and upgrade the rods instead?

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Naming names - without proof that the unmodified tune caused the problem - is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Not to mention needlessly killing a tuners reputation.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well regardless we need to know. Another shop could do it for less. They are raping you.
Sponsored