Weird warnings

• Thread starter Deleted member 40377
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2

Deleted member 40377

I did an enthusiasts drive yesterday around some beautiful roads in the NH lakes region. It was part of a German car group run. Lots of Porsche, Audi, BMW in all stages of modification. Great group of people.

I was running my bone stock 19 Civic turbo Hatch and having great fun in the twisties and admiring the roads and scenery. Awesome weather.

It was a 4 hour run. 3.5 hours in, I get low tire pressure warnings. I'm in a group of 18 cars and near the front. I stop for fear that I picked something up and didn't want to risk a blow-out on raods with no practical shoulder. Buddy of mine pulls off with me and I check all pressures. Stock wheels/tires with 8500 miles on them total. They are above the 35/33 front/back set as cold before leaving. Now they are at 40/35 front/rear. Warm but not outrageous by any thought. I re-calibrate to get rid of the warning (I know reset at warm not great) so the alarm isn't annoying me. Catch up with the group and and warning comes back less than 10 miles later. I run them easy (we were not driving to extreme as these are public roads with lots of tourist around) The club always defaults to the safest practice and will move slower than needed as not to take the risks with expensive cars and inexperienced operators on the road.

We get to our destination and have a cool drink and food. Couple hours pass and I recheck all pressures now that are cool and get them to cold settings. Re-check and re-calibrate to cold settings. Head home and never get another warning. Day was cool in the morning (55F in the morning and only got to 78F at height of day). I have a CVT and was moderately braking around the bottom of hilly turns but not excessively so. Nothing glowing or over-heated.

We have no physical TPMS monitors in the valve stems but use the ABS Systems to approximate pressures.
Why would this have done this? I have seen other TPMS warnings when in winter and dipping into a valley that may be 20 degrees cooler and the warnings blink on and off once you rise out of the valleys. Was the ABS throwing a fit because it was 'warm'? Never got any CEL. If the ABS was compromised, it would've thrown a CEL and warning..

I was not racing but driving spiritedy. I am confused. Really makes me second guess the warnings if they are false. That can only hurt later. Like a radar detector that gives too many false positive warnings, you tend not believe any and get caught in a trap. Trap here could've been blow out, not cool.

Any thoughts? Thanks for reading through if you've made it this far.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

gotslicks

First Name
marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type rrrrrr
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your pressures are to far off of what the car wants. Check your tire pressure decal on your car for recommended pressures. They have to be exact or you will get the warnings you are getting. More than likely your issue is front vs rear pressure settings

OP
OP

Deleted member 40377

The 35/33 F/R cold are the settings given by Honda. 40/35 warm isn't that far off from normal. There is a margin of give for adjusted cold to warm. That should still be in the accepted range.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
The 35/33 F/R cold are the settings given by Honda. 40/35 warm isn't that far off from normal. There is a margin of give for adjusted cold to warm. That should still be in the accepted range.
Here's the thing. The ABS sensors are only capable of reading wheel speed. Thats it. the pressures given by the factory 35/33 give the front and rear EQUAL outside rolling diameter (since the car's weight is front end bias the front tires need a higher pressure). When you hit 40/35, the ABS sensor see that the fronts are spinning at a faster rate then the rears, makes the determination that the rears are LOW on pressure, and trigger the light. Make sense?

OP
OP

Deleted member 40377

I get how the system works, just that it's being too precise. There needs to be a better range for acceptable pressure. Otherwise, it's like I said before, it makes me want to ignore the warnings as they are not correct. Therefore, I could be getting myself in trouble when they are truly low and I don't pay attention to the warning. Boy who cried wolf scene. I just don't want to be eaten by the wolf at the same time as to not have pull over every time the system thinks something's amiss when it's not. PITA.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I get how the system works, just that it's being too precise. There needs to be a better range for acceptable pressure. Otherwise, it's like I said before, it makes me want to ignore the warnings as they are not correct. Therefore, I could be getting myself in trouble when they are truly low and I don't pay attention to the warning. Boy who cried wolf scene. I just don't want to be eaten by the wolf at the same time as to not have pull over every time the system thinks something's amiss when it's not. PITA.
You “drove spiritedly” for 3.5 hours. What do you expect? Tires warm up. Heat makes air expand. Your tire pressure left the specified range. The car did exactly as it was supposed to.

OP
OP

Deleted member 40377

Ok, I concede. I do get it. However, in all the cars driving the same as me, not a one had any pressure warnings or alerts that they were out of range.

All I am saying is that I was the only one who was running a system that did not use actual TPMS monitors attached to the tires. This is a first for me and have to say, I'm not a fan.

Not trying to be stupid, just voicing my experience.
Sponsored