TrippyPancakes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport (CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Alright gang, I've got a mystery for us to solve

I have had some issues with a loud humming noise from my tires since I put them on 7k miles ago. Recently I have noticed that this loud hum goes away when I am turning left and the tires then sound blissfully quiet(er) like I would expect them to. Are there any issues that would cause my tires to make noise when going straight or turning right but be quiet when I turn left?

Tires are Vredstein Quatrac 5's
I have checked my treadwear all around and they have worn evenly
I rotated them at 5k miles (noise did not change from before to after rotation that I can recall)
Visual inspection shows no abnormal damage or wear that I can see

The noise these things are making are driving me crazy and tire rack won't take them back so I'm pretty desperate to see if I can make them quieter so if anyone has insight for me it would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored

Stupefyer

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Alright gang, I've got a mystery for us to solve

I have had some issues with a loud humming noise from my tires since I put them on 7k miles ago. Recently I have noticed that this loud hum goes away when I am turning left and the tires then sound blissfully quiet(er) like I would expect them to. Are there any issues that would cause my tires to make noise when going straight or turning right but be quiet when I turn left?

Tires are Vredstein Quatrac 5's
I have checked my treadwear all around and they have worn evenly
I rotated them at 5k miles (noise did not change from before to after rotation that I can recall)
Visual inspection shows no abnormal damage or wear that I can see

The noise these things are making are driving me crazy and tire rack won't take them back so I'm pretty desperate to see if I can make them quieter so if anyone has insight for me it would be greatly appreciated
With certain tire brands, noise starts to become noticeable as the tire starts to wear. I started noticing this with my Falkens after ~6k miles. I am not familiar with the tire company Vredstein but it would be a safe assumption that the noise correlates to tire wear.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
how many miles on the car? Usually humming noise only when turning on one side means wheel bearings may be going. Left one in your case. It stops humming when you remove weight on it.
Would be cheaper than new tires.

Just to make sure it's not bearings, swap tires if you can, then you'll know for sure. I've personally never seem tires humm and stop when turning only on one side but anything is possible.

OP
OP

TrippyPancakes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport (CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
how many miles on the car? Usually humming noise only when turning on one side means wheel bearings may be going. Left one in your case. It stops humming when you remove weight on it.
Would be cheaper than new tires.

Just to make sure it's not bearings, swap tires if you can, then you'll know for sure. I've personally never seem tires humm and stop when turning only on one side but anything is possible.
Car is at roughly 27k miles. I have moved the tires around a bunch to try to fix it and nothing changes so you might be right

OP
OP

TrippyPancakes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport (CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The one thing I will add is that this him sounds very rubbery to me. I have had a bad wheel bearing before on my old car and it sounded more metallic. This sound is more like what you would imagine a slightly studded tire to make. Do people still think a wheel bearing would make that noise?

I still plan to check the bearings to be safe regardless

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
The one thing I will add is that this him sounds very rubbery to me. I have had a bad wheel bearing before on my old car and it sounded more metallic. This sound is more like what you would imagine a slightly studded tire to make. Do people still think a wheel bearing would make that noise?

I still plan to check the bearings to be safe regardless
It might be the tires but I had a wheel bearing sound like a very loud winter tire before as well until I started turning and the noise completely stopped. This is what leads me to believe it could be your wheel bearing but that would be really shitty luck to get a bad wheel bearing at 27k miles. If you have another set of tires i would swap them on and check the FL wheel bearing while you're there.
Grab the wheel top and bottom and try to wiggle it fwd and back to feel for any play. I don't want to insult your intelligence if you already know how to do it.

If it is a bearing though it should be covered under warranty. Let us know what happened when you know.

OP
OP

TrippyPancakes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport (CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It might be the tires but I had a wheel bearing sound like a very loud winter tire before as well until I started turning and the noise completely stopped. This is what leads me to believe it could be your wheel bearing but that would be really shitty luck to get a bad wheel bearing at 27k miles. If you have another set of tires i would swap them on and check the FL wheel bearing while you're there.
Grab the wheel top and bottom and try to wiggle it fwd and back to feel for any play. I don't want to insult your intelligence if you already know how to do it.

If it is a bearing though it should be covered under warranty. Let us know what happened when you know.
Not insulted at all. You are being very helpful. I don't have access to a nice jack for a few weeks but once I do the first thing I'll do is check for some wiggle in the tires and report back here

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
You might even be able to contact your Honda dealer and have them check it for you. I know my old Suzuki dealer checked the car for possible warranty defects for free back in the day so it may be worth a call at least. Just make sure you confirm with them that you won't be charged if it turns out it's not a warranty issue. Food for thought.
Sponsored